Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South Central England Cold Spell Discussion

Methuselah

Posted

latest charts show a slight movement to the west for the heavy PPN , i would guess Dorset, Somerset, wiltshire now in the line for the heavy stuff.

This will change again which way we wil have to wait and see. i still think most parts of hampshire will see some snow and could still be right in line for a good few inchs.

Good luck folks polish those lamposts and keep watching.

Sorry to bring up the IOW situation again, but with the aea of prcip a little futher west favour the island as the small mild sector will be that little bit futher west as well.

Posted

Sorry to bring up the IOW situation again, but with the aea of prcip a little futher west favour the island as the small mild sector will be that little bit futher west as well.

just saw the latest local forecast and the rain possibility looked to have diminished quite alot, suspect we are going to see some good stuff tonight for once

Posted

Hard not to get too excited about our prospects as the NAE Model has our area in the 'sweet spot' later on today. I am already glued to the radar!!

Posted

This could be a day to remember, shame I am going to be so busy.

I think I'll delay my trip from Southampton to Plymouth tomorrow :)

Good luck folks and stay safe.

Steve

Posted

Looking great down here on the coast.......if you like rain and 6'c! Thats the latest GFS run anyway! It does turn more to snow by 9am tomorrow morning, but by then the ground will have warmed up loads and any snow that falls will take a hell of a long time to settle.

If we can't get snowfall in early Jan with a channel low, when can we get snowfall!? (sorry to moan on, im just gutted) mega_shok.gif

Posted

Looking great down here on the coast.......if you like rain and 6'c! Thats the latest GFS run anyway! It does turn more to snow by 9am tomorrow morning, but by then the ground will have warmed up loads and any snow that falls will take a hell of a long time to settle.

If we can't get snowfall in early Jan with a channel low, when can we get snowfall!? (sorry to moan on, im just gutted) mega_shok.gif

Hi Jamie - dont worry about moaning and low expectations as that makes the unexpected even more pleasurable. The good thing is the cold air is already entrenched over our area and the heavier the precipitation the more readily it will turn to snow.

Good Luck!

Posted

dunno where you get that from - checked the wetterzentrale M-Europa charts and that is not what they are showing for thr 06z

Posted

Good luck today guys. I only wish I was there to experience it with you. I will no doubt get very jealous when the snow reports start coming in. :lol:

Posted

Netweather Forecast from the 6z is still suggesting sleet for the first batch south of and including winchester from what I can see.. hopefully it will tip back the right side of marginal.. although interestingly the netweather precipitation chart for the 6z GFS seems to show snow :-)

Posted

with the uppers, dam thickness, temperature I just cannot see it being sleet for long...particularly when its gets heavy, then laying snow affects the surface temp which propogates upward...at least I think

Posted

MetO have a severe weather warning out..........Please take care

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Met office red alert issued for your area

http://www.metoffice.com/weather/uk/se/se_forecast_warnings.html

Posted

I don't think I have ever seen a Meto Take Action/Extreme warning, certainly not for down here. Could be fun if the Met model is more correct than the GFS...

Steve

Posted

NAE has Chichester right in the bullseye so I'm hoping and praying thats the case, would love to go to uni and still be loads of snow about!

Anyway I'm keeping an eye on this region as well as my own region for that reason, so good luck guys, could one of the best events down here for a very very long time?

Posted

I have to say ... I am scared ... and I am glad I stocked up at tesco's last night. :unsure::cc_confused:

What action do we have to take? 40cms. That's mad man!

East England: Hampshire Oxfordshire Southampton W Berkshire Very Heavy Snowfall 2000 Tue 5 1100 Wed 6 There is a high risk of an extreme weather event affecting parts of Southern England this evening and overnight. A period of exceptionally heavy snowfall is expected with accumulations of 15-30 cm and perhaps in excess of 40 cm. This is expected to cause widespread disruption to the transport network and could lead to problems with power supplies.

The public are advised to take extreme care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1135 Tue 5 Jan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

Jamie, This is not a channel low situation. Living on an small island surrounded by the sea it will always be difficult for you to get settling snow. In a true channel low situation the low pressure will travel from west to east but staying south of you. This will allow a strong cold easterly to develop with below zero dew points and subzero temperatures. This situation is different as it is a developing low on a wave on an existing frontal system. That means that to the S of that developing system there will be a slightly warmer core with a fetch off the warm channel with increased dew points and temperatures. Once this area has passed the precipitation should turn to snow as the slightly colder air gets mixed in and the wind direction changes. I am expecting something similar for a while in Brighton.

With a true channel low one hopes that the warmer zone always stays to the south of us.

Edited by chionomaniac

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW SNOW SNOW

Really looking forward to this in Reading, we inside "Take Action" zone, I better stock up for milk and bread! cold.gif Lets see if we get 1ft of snow as forcasted!

Posted

weather warning update from the met upgrading alot of positions:

Local areas affectedWarning typeValid fromValid toLondon & South East England: Bracknell Forest Brighton + Hove Buckinghamshire Isle of Wight Milton Keynes Portsmouth Reading Slough Surrey W Sussex Windsor + Maidenhead WokinghamHeavy Snow1800 Tue 51100 Wed 6Outbreaks of snow will turn heavy this evening and overnight giving fresh accumulations of 10-15 cm in places and perhaps locally in excess of 20 cm. This could cause widespread disruption to transport.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advise on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads.

Issued at: 1150 Tue 5 Jan

Posted

Glad to see Portsmouth has been added into the "red zone" now, but all the forecasts I keep seeing are giving only rain/sleet for here, with no snow until tomorrow (after 7am) whistling.gif I aint getting excited until I see the snow falling... help.gif

Posted

Jamie, This is not a channel low situation. Living on an small island surrounded by the sea it will always be difficult for you to get settling snow. In a true channel low situation the low pressure will travel from west to east but staying south of you. This will allow a strong cold easterly to develop with below zero dew points and subzero temperatures. This situation is different as it is a developing low on a wave on an existing frontal system. That means that to the S of that developing system there will be a slightly warmer core with a fetch off the warm channel with increased dew points and temperatures. Once this area has passed the precipitation should turn to snow as the slightly colder air gets mixed in and the wind direction changes. I am expecting something similar for a while in Brighton.

With a true channel low one hopes that the warmer zone always stays to the south of us.

I know this isn't a classic channel low situation, although it still drifts into the channel, but as i said before, the wind direction is what will really make the difference, and it seems we will have onshore winds for quite a while, and that really wont be great for quite a few locations down south on the coast. I expect it to turn to snow on the other side of the solent a few hours before it does here, but it concerns me that it will turn to snow here a little late and give but a mere wet covering.

I have to mention though that being on an island in the english channel usually has its advantages during a cold spell, as we tend to get higher precip amounts and get a good covering, even when other S uk locations are dry.