Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 5

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder storms.

Didn`t mean to make you cry. :lol:

It`s a shame, but maybe I can get on with moving house. :lol:

Only have till Saturday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Didn`t mean to make you cry. :lol:

It`s a shame, but maybe I can get on with moving house. :lol:

Only have till Saturday.

Where are you off to, then??

You never know, a fragment of weather-front may stagnate and dump loads on us, tonight??? :lol:

Posted

Heading off to Struy.( The Beauly one)

Been told road closed there, 18" of snow and fallen trees.

That`s what I call snow and a half. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Heading off to Struy.( The Beauly one)

Been told road closed there, 18" of snow and fallen trees.

That`s what I call snow and a half. :whistling:

I used to stay in Glenurquhart. It's lovely out that way. And, yes - when it snows it really snows! 16 hours without any power at Xmas 1995!!! :lol: :cold: :lol:

Are you going to ski yourself over there? :cold:

Posted

Oh, cheers for that! No leccy for Christmas........hmmmmm.

It is beautiful out there, but the move is turning into an absolute nightmare! At this rate even ski`s wont do the job.

Posted

looks snowy outside. Got about 1"-2" so far. Its stopped just now, but hopefully there will b more 2night. If i can see the grass, its not gd enough!

Its raining abit now! Its all melting! cray.gif

Edited by acchos

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Lots of snow here, been falling almost continuously, albeit wetter and lighter at times, since about 1pm and has given a fresh covering. And it looks set to continue for at least the next few hours!! Amazing, temperatures seemed too high for snow but still it falls and lies - the road's a bit of a mess, even after being gritted at about 3pm! Hopefully it will last most of the night and we'll finally get a really good dumping!!

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

2100-0900 Max temp, 1.8C around 0100hr, so a slight thaw for a time.

2100-0900 min temp, -0.7C around 0800hr.

Max temp since 0900hr, 1.4C

Min temp since 0900hr, -0.1C

Snow depth at 0900hr, 100% cover, 5cm in garden.

With more of a south-west flow today, snow showers have been coming through the central belt and into Fife. The first one arrived around 1100hr. I was in Leven at the time, Leven is at sea-level by the Firth of Forth. The shower started off as rain but turned to wet snow before it cleared. Quite a heavy snow, 1330-1400hr, the snow settling too. Temp 0.0C at 1430hr. Another moderate snow shower around 1500hr. The showers are slow moving because there's hardly any wind.

Snow depth at 1430h, 6.5cm to 7cm in garden and 4.5cm to 5cm in nearby field.

Looking south this afternoon, I could see a majestic Cumlonimbus capillatus incus cloud slowly moving east over the Scottish Borders/Northumberland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Black clouds moving over the hill again here.....

Posted

Finally we have snow showers today, only cm or so but beggers cant be choosers so..............yahoo.gifyahoo.gifyahoo.gif

Posted

The low is now centred over south lanarkshire, so the shower trajectory we have seen today will be replaced by showers from Cumbria and Dumfriesshire moving north-northeast towards Fife. How this will pan out, I'm not entirely sure, but it will be something to watch in the next few hours after the showers to our southwest at the moment have passed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms and extremes

Light snow again.

My records go back to 1988. I reckon this is the earliest snowy spell since November 1993? Anyone agree/disagree. I've had 5 snow falling days in a row, when was the last time this happened in December? 1981? This is the earliest snowy spell in December since when?????? December's 2000 and 1995 had snow on the ground for a week, but it came later in the month.

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

The low is now centred over south lanarkshire, so the shower trajectory we have seen today will be replaced by showers from Cumbria and Dumfriesshire moving north-northeast towards Fife. How this will pan out, I'm not entirely sure, but it will be something to watch in the next few hours after the showers to our southwest at the moment have passed.

Hi LS,

At last we have managed to catch some of the heavier snow fall today, as it has been moderate to heavy since about lunch timecold.gif

Most of the roads in and out of the village of Saline are at a stand still with everyone getting stuck on the climb from the lower areas help.gif

If you had gone by the BBC forcasts this morning, then you would not have expected this snow at all cc_confused.gif

Big Innes

Posted

Light snow again.

My records go back to 1988. I reckon this is the earliest snowy spell since November 1993? Anyone agree/disagree. I've had 5 snow falling days in a row, when was the last time this happened in December? 1981? This is the earliest snowy spell in December since when?????? December's 2000 and 1995 had snow on the ground for a week, but it came later in the month.

As I dont keep records I'm going to agree with you on that one. It does seem rare to have a cold spell with snow around in so many areas before Christmas and looking at the latest models there doesnt seem to be much sign of any big changes to milder weather.

Posted

Light snow again.

There was snow on the ground in Cupar last year in mid November. I couldn't tell you which date but it was a weekend, I missed it becuase I was away but there were pics on BBC.

What about the easterly in 2005? That was after Christmas tho, and I lived on the west coast then.