Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 5

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Steady light/moderate snow and no wind, 0C...Were did that come from? :shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.

SEveral of thye Beeb forecasts are suggesting snow on Wednesday and it appears from there charts to be on the east side of Scotland and NE England.

Any reason for this you think, or just just a generalisation on there slightly inacurate charts???cc_confused.gif

I don't take the Beebs charts at all seriously since they pretty much abandoned pressure charts and replaced them with colour graphics and semi-random shading/polka dots for rain/snow.

Heather had it down as east-coast sleet/rain and to be honest good riddance to her. She badly missed a predictable synoptic pattern last week with the easterly and then was absolutely squirming on the Xmas day forecast ... suggesting "white with frost". I'm well aware of the met-office definition of a white Xmas but more pragmatically if theres snow on the ground most of us would call it a white Xmas. Would have been sensible for Heather to indicate that with no real thaw for those who already have snow... that to all intents and purposes a white Xmas is in the offing.

Close the door behind you "Heather the weather" :shok:

Edited by by-tor

Steady light/moderate snow and no wind, 0C...Were did that come from? :cray:

Guess what we've got here? Thick fog and light snow, although nothing showing on the radar :cray: Was it you who pondered on that combination the other day??

My five year old chirped up "Snow and Fog?? That makes SNOG!!". So there you go. A new weather type is founded.

Posted

Guess what we've got here? Thick fog and light snow, although nothing showing on the radar :huh: Was it you who pondered on that combination the other day??

My five year old chirped up "Snow and Fog?? That makes SNOG!!". So there you go. A new weather type is founded.

Aye Catch, twas I...Now we've got heavy snow that's settling everywhere. And NOTHING on the radar!! :cray::cray:

:rofl: Better than 'fnow'??? :cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
Is it still snowing in Lochgelly?

LS

Finally gone off now LS but what an amazing day! You couldn't make it up could you? If this had happened yesterday then fair enough but when I looked at the radar this morning there wasn't anything there that I thought would have affected us.

Don't know if that's it for us now but I certainly wouldn't say that it was!

Posted

fax chart for Xmas Day:

PPVO89.png

If that stays much the same, the low in the North Sea will feed off much cooler temps from Scandi region. Looks good for further snow showers on the big day, specially since temps are progged to be a little cooler than now (although not as cool as Aberdeen! -7c and snow :yahoo: )

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

fax chart for Xmas Day:

PPVO89.png

If that stays much the same, the low in the North Sea will feed off much cooler temps from Scandi region. Looks good for further snow showers on the big day, specially since temps are progged to be a little cooler than now (although not as cool as Aberdeen! -7c and snow :yahoo: )

Nice one!

Posted

Steady light/moderate snow and no wind, 0C...Were did that come from? :smiliz19:

A variety of weather on the way to Inverness tonight to pick up my sons kilt for his school dance. -2c max all day at home with sun and snow showers to the north moving in a westerly direction.Had sleet then snow and 0c when I arrived in Inverness, it stopped on the way home and the stars came out and it is currently -4c at home

Posted

we're at -8 / -8 still foggy, I reckon they're saving the best 'til last :whistling:

maybe Xmas Day?

Posted

Aye NL...The wind's coming from the south, just now...Only very light snow, though.

Posted

Seems a bit localised today.... we had about 6" here in Lanark this afternoon - now have 10" of lying snow! Snow was so deep when I got home from work that I made a full car track in our road, not just tyre tracks - and yet only a few miles up the road there was only what looked a couple of inches lying.

Still, I'm not complaining - pity I have to go to work - why couldn't we have had this next week, when I could have avoided a 400 miles trip to the out-laws????

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Had a fairly brief but heavy snow shower which gave an additional dusting on top of the snowcover we have so far. Another shower looks like moving north, picking up in strength over the Forth and giving more heavy snow for a little while - if it goes on like this all night, we could end up with a fair bit!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

well been a quieter day here, had a nice shower or two of snow which was lovely.

Interesting chart for Xmas day I wonder if that'll come off? coud be interesting for my xmas day visitors.

Posted

Had a lovely day out (despite it being work!) and about on the train in central Scotland. Heavy snow observed in Polmont, Linlithgow and Falkirk and a surprise heavy shower or two in Stirling. The Inverness-Coatbridge container train stood in Stirling station this afternoon was festooned with icicles and snow across every part of every wagon - quite intense.

Back in Edinburgh this evening and nothing more than odd flurries on and off.

Posted

Red sky at night, Glenrothes alight!! Hopefully it's just snow showers to our south but you can never rule that out totally!