Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

January CET

Posted

Last time we had two consecutive below average Januarys for the CET against a 30 year average was 1991 and 1992

January 1991: 3.3 (-0.5)

January 1992: 3.7 (-0.1)

But when was the last time we had two consecutive Januarys that were both at least 0.5C below the 30 year average?

1979, 1980

January 1979: -0.4

January 1980: 2.3

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Amazingly same average here temps wise and only 3mm difference rain wise.

Posted

For the figures shown already, there is an average decrease of -0.19C on the final values. That would put us at 1.46C for the month. There could well be some rather large adjustments still in the main body of the cold spell due to the cold nights, so we could well end well below this.

Posted

BBC have already released their review for January...surprisingly eager!

"Overall, it was a very cold month with mean temperatures 2.5 to 3.0C below the 1971-2000 normal over England and Wales, 2.5C below over most of Scotland and 2.0 to 2.5C below over Northern Ireland.

Provisionally, it was the coldest January over the UK since 1987 and equal eighth coldest in a series from 1914."

http://news.bbc.co.u...000/8493783.stm

And Decembers review;

"Overall, it was a very cold month with mean temperatures 1.5 to 2.0C below the 1971-2000 normal over England and Wales, 2.0 to 2.5C below over Northern Ireland and 2.5 to 3.5C below over Scotland."

And Philip Eden;

http://www.climate-u...onthly/1001.htm

"the long run of consecutive sub-zero days was probably the longest in January since 1963"

Edited by Optimus Prime

Posted

Yep very interesting OP, it was really the first 10 days that were pretty exceptional, the rest of the month bar maybe the last 2-3 days was generally within 1-2C of the norm. Still looks like we have our first 'severe' month since Feb 91, about time as well!

Should also be noted that this Jan was one of the coldest months to also feature a strong El nino as well, I think only 1916-17 had colder months that featured strong El ninos...

Edited by kold weather

Posted

The Met Office are taking their time with the final January CET figures. I wonder what's taking them so long, as they managed to get a number of individual days done straight away. They also released December's revised data right after the month ended.

Posted

http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/cet_mean_est_2010

Am i right in thinking that the number (far right) such as -20, -39,14,5 etc.. means -2.0c, -3.9c, 1.4c and 0.5c. So the fourth of Jan was -22, would that mean the average temperature on that day was -2.2c? What do the numbers to the left of the figures stand for?

Posted

http://hadobs.metoffice.com/hadcet/cet_mean_est_2010

Am i right in thinking that the number (far right) such as -20, -39,14,5 etc.. means -2.0c, -3.9c, 1.4c and 0.5c. So the fourth of Jan was -22, would that mean the average temperature on that day was -2.2c? What do the numbers to the left of the figures stand for?

Yes thats right.

The numbers to the left are the date in the month, so 1st-31st (in April for example, the 31st will remain as 32768).

Of the top rows, the top number is the departure from the 1961-1990 average (-2.17C for January) and the second row the mean for the month (1.65C in this case).

Posted

Yes thats right.

The numbers to the left are the date in the month, so 1st-31st (in April for example, the 31st will remain as 32768).

Of the top rows, the top number is the departure from the 1961-1990 average (-2.17C for January) and the second row the mean for the month (1.65C in this case).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Well, we've had extra time, we've had penalty kicks, and still there is no winner.

I have this mental image of somebody behind a desk saying "no, it just can't be that cold."

I can't recall whether it takes them this long when we have a Month that is significantly higher than the mean. whistling.gif

Posted

Well, we've had extra time, we've had penalty kicks, and still there is no winner.

I have this mental image of somebody behind a desk saying "no, it just can't be that cold."

LOL :)

Posted

Very good Roger :lol:

I smell a rat :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

It does seem strange though how it always takes them an age to announce a low CET. Remember how long it took to announce the 2008 CET? That was ridiculous!

Posted

Has the met office just decided to not bother updating, I like to keep an eye on the daily updates, but it seems to be a case lately of updating when somebody can be bothered.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

3.1c to the 10th.

Mean Max 5.9c (-1.1c)

Mean Min 0.2 (-1.3)

Arr I see they've scrapped the other 21 days as it makes Jan too cold. One way to fiddle the books :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

How can it possibly take this long?! The Feb figure will be in before the Jan one at this rate!

Posted

Arr I see they've scrapped the other 21 days as it makes Jan too cold. One way to fiddle the books :lol:

Whoops wrong thread. Was expecting this to be archived by now.

Theyre rever going to release the figure. Best to just forget about January.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Don't forget january! I reckon it will come in somewhere between 1.3C and 1.5C. :cc_confused::)

Posted

Not going to be archived until they release the final figure, when that will be is anyone's guess.