Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

East Anglia & South East Cold Spell Discussion

Coast

Posted

Had a good five hours of sleet and heavy snow, always very wet but dumped over an inch and lay in the roads causing caos. Really slushy out there now, 0c dew point and 0.4c but really melting quickly. Going to be an ice rink tomo morn.

Hoping on seeing some more as it swings back, i want 5" plus!

Looking at the latest sat loop, is that another batch brewing in the channel (south of devon)? heading the same way?

Hope so!

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

good to hear that its snowing there-

epic 1 hour of snowfall here- 2 inches then total travel chaos in SE London-

ive missed everything today- isnt the front coming back SE at some point????

Steve

Oi!! you should be telling us!! :lol: :lol: :good:

'ning Steve :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn days and foggy nights

Its really coming down hard now.

If this area of heavy snow does become stationary over our region then were in trouble due to the existing 5inches. What is it about the wash that makes this happen. This is the 4th time I have noticed this happen as this is what occured in Feb this year.

Large body of shallow but warm water - you're right, it does seem to generate local convection! I've noticed it too.

Posted

That was an interesting drive home, left Milton Keynes at 5.... it was sleeting there, by the time we got to Hockcliffe it was blizzard like and settling.

An hour and a half after setting out, arrived home, having been at a standstill twice and needing pushing up a treacherous hill by some wonderful people in fluorescent jackets......

Don't want to have to do that again in a hurry! Everything looks beautiful though!!! :lol:

Hubby now stuck on the M1 at Toddington....!

Posted

It is snowing quite fast but it is olny light, and again it seems we have missed out on any serious snow, with cambridgeshire seeming to have got the worst, probably only 20-30 miles away.

Posted

well its certainly further NE than the bbc predicted and not quite as widespread but it is showing signs of slowing down and pepping up on the latest radar (in my opinion)

Posted

Well that was a bit of a suprise!

Light rain around 330pm quickly turned to heavy wet snow. Came down so heavy that it even settled on the main roads really quickly, must admit as much as i love snow i would like to see the back of it for the time being! I drive a van and am fed up spinning the wheels everytime i pull away, it was so slippy that a set of traffic lights went green and by the time id reached them they were amber, luckily i made it through!

We still have several inches lying and that can stay as long as the roads melt! :)

Matt. :)

Posted

That was an interesting drive home, left Milton Keynes at 5.... it was sleeting there, by the time we got to Hockcliffe it was blizzard like and settling.

An hour and a half after setting out, arrived home, having been at a standstill twice and needing pushing up a treacherous hill by some wonderful people in fluorescent jackets......

Don't want to have to do that again in a hurry! Everything looks beautiful though!!! :)

Hubby now stuck on the M1 at Toddington....!

Hope your Husband makes it home soon! It shouldn't be too long for him!

The M1 is still a mess, from snow on the slip raods causing massive qeues on the carriageway and the airport being closed...especially around J10/J11

post-7342-12614296341113_thumb.jpg

post-7342-12614296467813_thumb.jpg

post-7342-12614296629813_thumb.jpg

I don't want to be on the M1!!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Herts Police have released a statement: Do not travel unless it is an emergency.......... A lot of the problems have been caused by broken down cars and abandoned cars.

I've just got home and about to go out shopping! Things don't seem that bad over here. Walked home through some wet snow and slush and the constant drip drip drip of melting.

Posted

Hope your Husband makes it home soon! It shouldn't be too long for him!

The M1 is still a mess, from snow on the slip raods causing massive qeues on the carriageway and the airport being closed...especially around J10/J11

post-7342-12614296341113_thumb.jpg

post-7342-12614296467813_thumb.jpg

post-7342-12614296629813_thumb.jpg

I don't want to be on the M1!!!!!!

What I don't understand is why don't they get snow plow's when the motorway is on a single lane, the plow will speed passed all the cars with ease.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

When TEITS says the front is going to pivot and come back SE in the early hours delivering more snow, roughly around what axis?

Posted

Some of you lot are never happy. This is what everybody has been wishing for.

It has snowed in my area for four days in a row so far. Plenty of snow on the ground and maybe some more to come and yes it is a pain to get out and about. And now we are seeing the bad side of this that not many people have seen because so many of our snow events here in the SE come and go within a couple of days.

Remember you youngsters you are now getting snow like the snow some of us got when we were growing up with more on the way we are only in Dec and have the rest of the winter to go.

As us old timers say "Hear Hear".

Has been great getting into the car and driving on ice. And I;ve still seen idiots who can't drive on ice, trying to go too fast without any "feel" for conditions and grip. I did a journey that normally takes 15mins in 20 mins today, averaged 30mph with less the 75 yards clear of ice/snow, Fast enough but at no time dangerous.

I Remember ( when I was a boy :) ) 1963 as THE event. Two full weeks without being able to move a car. In this day and age, we'd struggle.

Posted

What I don't understand is why don't they get snow plow's when the motorway is on a single lane, the plow will speed passed all the cars with ease.

Clearly not enough snow. Visibility is the issue as well as ice patches and what's blocking it at the other end is going to slow it down anyway.

Posted

Aghh the lights have flickred, if that wet snow freezes on the power lines or surrounding trees it could mean trouble

Oh yeah!!!!:wallbash: You will be more worsely affected in the village!

Posted

to be honest even if this does turn back down SE its looking like only east anglia are in the firing line to me now not the SE, please correct me if im wrong.

Posted

Over 3 hours it has taken me to get home. Trains are up the creek and Bexley roads have come to a stand still!! I ended up getting a train to Sidcup, then a train from there to Crayford and walked home to Barnehurst. I was actually walking quicker than the cars.

Oh, and I have discovered both my shoes leak.

Posted

clear here, boyfriend reports drizzle at Reedham, he has been listening to radio Norfolk and apparently that says there is snow on the Norfolk/Suffolk border somewhere.