Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

May be "breakdown" will be topical this week in the general media, I'm sure the wrong kind of snow will fall somewhere inconvenient, leading to embarrassing high tech breakdown's.

Regarding a weather breakdown, a couple of weeks cold spell is not that unusual for the UK neither is a whole month.

Perhaps what is unusual is the fact that we have not had a true cold spell here for nearly 20 years. 1991

Rather than using my fiesta I have a works landrover as my transport atm and until further notice.

Oh yes b/w if I don't get snow here (not just 2mm either)sometime in the next couple of weeks I will need to see a quack :)

Russ

Edited by Rustynailer

Posted

Great pix , can i ask how do you upload them? , i presume you upload them somewhere else first then post the link , can you recommend a good site?

Thanks

Ian

I think i might have one if Wigan misses out again this week :)

Spurry, if you use the full editor you can attach pictures just below the text box where you type your message.

Posted

It has been a long time since I have been so excited about a snow event that is on its way this week. Tempered slightly by the dangers that this weather can do though. I live in North Norfolk so are bracing ourselves here.:D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

If anyone else follow's the weatheronline temps, have you noticed that Benbecula (Google says this is in Scotland0 is currently at -28oC and has been at around -25oC all day long? I presume this is an error?! lol?!?!

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/aktframe?TYP=temperatur&KEY=UK&LANG=en&ART=tabelle&JJ=xxxx&SORT=2&INT=24

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

If anyone else follow's the weatheronline temps, have you noticed that Benbecula (Google says this is in Scotland0 is currently at -28oC and has been at around -25oC all day long? I presume this is an error?! lol?!?!

http://www.weatheron...x&SORT=2&INT=24

It's had similar readings for days , i think someone left the sensor in the freezer by mistake when they chilled the beer at Xmas :p

Edited by Spurry

Posted

Some links for this forcast don't work but this 1 should work fine.

This was a good forcast earlier today,A classic i think!

BBC WEATHER - TOMASZ SCHAFERNAKER @ 11:46 - WEATHER FOR THE WEEK AHEAD SNOW SNOW AND MORE SNOW

Enjoy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzOGt-NlfLE&feature=channel&fmt=18

Edited by jam1

Posted

Dan Corbetts forecast on Countryfile this evening seemed a little less dramatic and far more cautious about the 'possible' upcoming snow event - also delayed from Friday to the weekend!

Edited by snowblizzard

Posted

Following the Country Tracks forecast yesterday, I'm surprised that this mornings BBC forecasts make no mention of the potential for heavy snow in the SE at the end of the week - Michael Fish says we may get a few flurries from time to time! Did Thomas Schafernaker get over exited on his watch yesterday?

Edited by snowblizzard

Posted

Just a small comment about everyone not getting much snow. I always thought but may be wrong that an inch of rain equated to 12 inches of powdery snow so you don"t need a lot of precipitation to give you a nice covering.

Posted

Following the Country Tracks forecast yesterday, I'm surprised that this mornings BBC forecasts make no mention of the potential for heavy snow in the SE at the end of the week - Michael Fish says we may get a few flurries from time to time! Did Thomas Schafernaker get over exited on his watch yesterday?

the country tracks forecast is for the week ahead, other forecasts are for the next couple of days with hints of what might follow. I would not expect a forecasst to talk about friday and the weekend on a monday morning when there is a lot of weather to get through first

Posted

the country tracks forecast is for the week ahead, other forecasts are for the next couple of days with hints of what might follow. I would not expect a forecasst to talk about friday and the weekend on a monday morning when there is a lot of weather to get through first

But normally they would mention that they are concerned about the potential for heavy snow later in the week!

Edited by snowblizzard

Posted

But normally they would mention that they are concerned about the potential for heavy snow later in the week!

the risk may well have been lessened at the moment, the models are not showing it quite as likely and the met office has no warnings for friday as yet

Posted

Last night was the coldest night I've recorded since I started in 1998, with a low of -12.2C.

Outside, right now, the sun's just poked above the horizon and it's -11.9C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Last night was the coldest night I've recorded since I started in 1998, with a low of -12.2C.

Outside, right now, the sun's just poked above the horizon and it's -11.9C.

I've a feeling you might break that again before this cold spell is done.

Only Jan' 1987 produced anything like as low as that here although yesterday didn't do too badly relatively speaking and was the coldest Jan' day since 1996 with a 24 hr max' of -2.5c.

Posted

I must be in with a shout of my lowest ever maximum today too, because it's currently -9.4º out there. But I think there's some cloud and snow due later, and a warm sector(?) so it'll certainly go up markedly, but by how much?

Posted

I must be in with a shout of my lowest ever maximum today too, because it's currently -9.4º out there. But I think there's some cloud and snow due later, and a warm sector(?) so it'll certainly go up markedly, but by how much?

The wind should pick up slighty and remove the temp inversion in the Eden Valley ahead of the front. You should stay below freezing but I think it will be close. The higher the wind speed the more the mixing of the wamer air above.

Mark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

The front is occluding as it moves south and the warm sector should be well to your west, over Ireland. Allowing for the fact that the mixing will destroy your inversion ( there are tablets to ease the pain )I think you'll probably end up with a max' of around -2c late this evening or shortly after midnight.

Posted

No, his forecast was based on data they had to hand at the time he made that, his interpretation of this was about spot on IMO.

Posted

The wind should pick up slighty and remove the temp inversion in the Eden Valley ahead of the front. You should stay below freezing but I think it will be close. The higher the wind speed the more the mixing of the wamer air above.

Mark

The front is occluding as it moves south and the warm sector should be well to your west, over Ireland. Allowing for the fact that the mixing will destroy your inversion ( there are tablets to ease the pain )I think you'll probably end up with a max' of around -2c late this evening or shortly after midnight.

Thanks both. Fancy a guess at the snow we'll get? The kids really don't want to go to school tomorrow and I certainly don't fancy driving them. I've looked at the model discussion thread, but all I've learnt is that perhaps some got a tad over-excited the other day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

This image just about sums up this cold spell:

uk_d2_lg.gif?time=1262604713

Everywhere except the Midlands is getting all the fun...AGAIN!

I think you`ll find the east midlands is included in the UKMO warnings from tomorrow onwards and the east midlands has had some decent snowfall in December, i remember driving through rugby and they had much more snow than me and they aren't classified east midlands though its very nearby.

Posted

6z NAE begs to differ wrt the precipitation for tonight:

06-12 precip/type

12-18 precip/type

18-24 precip/type

I would expect the midlands to be included in the warnings later on today - if things go according to plan. Especially the north Midlands.

I'm honestly baffled why they are not in the warnings now though - unless it has something to do with snow depths. I wonder how many cm's of snow requires a warning/advisory for the MetO?

Perhaps just a dusting for areas not in the advisory then? :shok:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

6z NAE begs to differ wrt the precipitation for tonight:

06-12 precip/type

12-18 precip/type

18-24 precip/type

I would expect the midlands to be included in the warnings later on today - if things go according to plan. Especially the north Midlands.

I'm honestly baffled why they are not in the warnings now though - unless it has something to do with snow depths. I wonder how many cm's of snow requires a warning/advisory for the MetO?

Perhaps just a dusting for areas not in the advisory then? :drunk:

Fully agreed, welcome to Netweather by the way!

I can't believe that we haven't even got anything for ice either. Surely these will be added through the day.

Posted

Nick, warnings will be issued for the Midlands, hopefully you'll get plenty of snow as you seem real downbeat in your posts.