Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted

Whether this is a "jinx" or not but on Radio 4 earlier ,John Kettley was interviewed and said it may be the coldest Winter since the early 80,s no sign of any letup....! :lol: :lol: :cold:

Coldest? Meridian forecast for central south coast were showing rain showers and possible heavier pulses of snow mixed in. What kind of a forecast is that lol. So many different views. Who on earth do you believe?

Posted

Interestingly the NAE is a outlier with regards to what the other models show, the GME, GFS and the UKMO all focus the precip core further east...however the NAE has a better resolution so that balances that out very nicely indeed...therefore gotta be 50-50.

Anyway the ECM is a stonker of a run for Friday+Saturday, bitter cold with the perfect flow for driving the showers far inland...

GFS on its own with regards to the easterly tonight...

Its looking very good for the SE tomorrow night!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Do i spy a monster Polar low in the Development north of Scotland?

correct well spotted, its going for ireland in that current flow...

Posted

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

who else is watching that snow formation near rugby near the A 14 is it my eyes all is that geting bigger!!

Posted
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland
  • Weather Preferences: Storm-force northeasterly(with a high tide!).Blizzards.Sunny summer
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland

Anybody know where I could find out what has been the coldest min and max temps recorded so far this winter in these islands? Preferably recordings for each country!

Cheers, I'd be very grateful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

Yeah I've got my guard up for downgrades dont worry diablo.gif but its hard not to get excited when its so close. drunk.gif

i live on the isle of wight i think we are borderline????im new to the models etccc_confused.gif but im hopeful we will see a bit!! what models and when will def tell us??? if we will be getting some??7am???

Posted

Do i spy a monster Polar low in the Development north of Scotland?

Which chart did you see that on?

Posted

Aye it was -32ºC last night - think someone would have noticed by now!

Posted

When looking at the latest BBC I happened upon this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/4233/

I almost feel like going outside and sun bathing now (-33) I bet that hurts :nonono:

Lol not looking to bad for us :nonono:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/4275?count=10

PS - Just heard on the forecast parts of the Mediterranean have had its worse floods since 1940...

Edited by Optimus Prime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

The Benbecula reading is complete error! The Thames will freeze over in July before Benbecula records the lowest Scottish temperature on record. Altnaharra, Braemar, Aviemore, Tulloch Bridge etc, yes perhaps later this week but Benbecula? Nope.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

had to laugh this morning about the interviewed gritter spokesman. "We're prepared for the normal winter but this is exceptional" err no it's an old style winter and wouldn't be considered exceptional 60 to the 80's.

Posted

Here's an idea of the timing and direction for the main events of today:

LOC_20100105_0300.png

More ideas about where the snow will be most prevalent:

868078ec1f5b01da3e6e4989fe057e7d.png

Snow Forecast Issued: 2010-01-04 20:25:00

Valid: 2010-01-04 23:00:00 - 2010-01-05 22:59:00

Regions Affected

All of the UK.

Synopsis

A complex situation arises for Tuesday. A front coming down from the North will give many a spell of moderate snow and a light covering for most. As this reaches the Midlands it looks like it will become very slow moving with the potential for some fairly significant accumulations. Behind all this will be plenty of snow showers with coastal areas most affected giving places further spells of moderate or heavy snow and local accumulations and again perhaps significant.

Coastal areas will probably see a mix ofrain sleet and maybe wet snow.

Icy roads will be a problem for many so leave extra time for journeys. Transport disruption is likely particularly where snow hits rush hour peaks and where the snow is slow moving.

Later on in the evening is the potential for a significant event but alot of uncertainity remains. Much of Central Southern England and into the Midlands could see some prolonged heavy snowfall giving large accumulations with 5-15cm likely over a wide area. Up to 30cm is possible over the hills. However much could still change so stay tuned for local forecasts on this event

Posted

had to laugh this morning about the interviewed gritter spokesman. "We're prepared for the normal winter but this is exceptional" err no it's an old style winter and wouldn't be considered exceptional 60 to the 80's.

Rather depends where you are I'd have thought. Today is the 20th consecutive day with complete snow cover, and I've never know snow lie that long...and I'm 38 (although I don't look it). Sunday night/Monday morning dropped to -12.2C, which is the lowest I've recorded in 12 years, and possibly the lowest temperature I've ever experienced in England, and for the past three weeks, the temperature has not climber above 2.7C.

My parents can't remember anything like since since 62/63.

By any stretch of the imagination, this is an exceptional winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

Rather depends where you are I'd have thought. Today is the 20th consecutive day with complete snow cover, and I've never know snow lie that long...and I'm 38 (although I don't look it). Sunday night/Monday morning dropped to -12.2C, which is the lowest I've recorded in 12 years, and possibly the lowest temperature I've ever experienced in England, and for the past three weeks, the temperature has not climber above 2.7C.

My parents can't remember anything like since since 62/63.

By any stretch of the imagination, this is an exceptional winter.

Quite a few winters here spring to mind 78/79 81/82 87 pretty sure 76/77 did fairly well. 79 we had a spring melt in march.

Like you said depends where you are.

Posted

So one in 30 years isn't exceptional to you?

I was standing on a hill on the edge of the village on Sunday night, with lots of kids sledging, when one of the dad's came along and complained that the snow wasn't very good for sledging. It was 4 inches of true powder snow. Some people are never happy. Ok, I rarely am myself, but you know what I mean.