Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Couldn't help noticing that the sweet spot with an anticipated 30mm of precipitation (perhaps 30cm of lying snow) is pretty much exactly over...Abingdon smile.gif At present I'm expecting to wake up to anything between 2 inches and a foot tomorrow morning here in Reading...

No thats over my house OX25 , stilly very heavy snow here, could be a foot here (I'm old money)

Edited by stewfox

Posted

Evening!

Just a quick question. We've had some decent snowfall here in Scarborough today (Around 9cm's). We've also had some potent showers tonight mainly of a wintry nature rather than snow.

I just nipped out to be greeted by the sound of dripping and thawing snow.

Temp at the moment is 1.6C with a dew point of 0.7C.

All the forecasts Iv'e checked range from -1C to a balmy +5C overnight!

Any ideas if and when the temp on the coast here is going to drop below freezing or are we just going to have an awful slushy affair with the cold spell! :drinks:

Posted

Got about 2.5 cms here in Newbury but its stopped <_< and seems to be melting.... so might be very slushy here soon :blush:

Same here in Basingstoke, seems this event was kind of blown out of proportions.

Posted

Just had around an inch additional snow fall up here, with the temp at -0.8C. The radar suggests perhaps 20 mins more from this shower too. I've given up measuring the depth as it's really blowing about now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow

Same here in Basingstoke, seems this event was kind of blown out of proportions.

We have had 8cm in a couple of hrs in Aylesbury and still snowing hard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Got about 2.5 cms here in Newbury but its stopped dry.gif and seems to be melting.... so might be very slushy here soon blush.gif

Hello fellow Newburyite, love the name btw.

I measured 5mm earlier at 6pm and it has been steadily falling ever since, as for melting I certainly wouldn't think it would?

Currently AirTemp 0.2c and Dp -0.2c albeit close to sleetliness at those figures.

Much more fun to come though.

Cheers

STORMBOY

Posted

It is strange how it is all panning out.

I live within half a mile of The Solent and it starting raining heavily before 5 o'clock. By 5.30pm it was snowing heavily and hasn't stopped since. The trusty ruler is showing between 7 and 8 cms at the moment (about 3 inches in old money) which in normally fairly snowless South Hampshire at sea level is pretty rare!

L

Posted

It is strange how it is all panning out.

I live within half a mile of The Solent and it starting raining heavily before 5 o'clock. By 5.30pm it was snowing heavily and hasn't stopped since. The trusty ruler is showing between 7 and 8 cms at the moment (about 3 inches in old money) which in normally fairly snowless South Hampshire at sea level is pretty rare!

L

Just been out to measure, and there's just shy of 4 inches laying, still snowing lightly, and I'm watching the large area of snow that's just cleared Portsmouth, wondering whether it'll hit us. Could be a February-rivalling covering by morning if it does!

Posted

Alright Dave, it's 21 consecutive days today. You were a day behind because you didn't count the dusting on 17th, or didn't get it, so for you it'll be 20!

Posted

From around 19:00 monday night untill this time today i have over 20cms lying snow in my location. It makes me laugh though because not much mentioned on national news. Also Meto said 1-3cm on monday LOL so wrong.

Posted

Manchester Winter Index = 10 x [(number of days with falling sleet/snow)+(number of days with lying snow at 9am)+(number of days with minima of 0C or less)] divided by the mean winter maximum.

It has rocketed right up over recent days but can fall back due to the winter mean maximum which will rise in value when we get milder days. Even so, I can't it see it being sub 50 by winter's end.

Manchester winter indices from 1973-74 to 2008-09

1978-79: 262

1985-86: 159

1981-82: 149

1976-77: 141

1984-85: 140

1995-96: 135

1990-91: 126

2008-09: 105

1986-87: 100

1977-78: 90

1980-81: 90

1982-83: 85

2009-10: 85 up to 5th January

1983-84: 82

1993-94: 78

2000-01: 77

1996-97: 72

1979-80: 66

2005-06: 59

2001-02: 50

2003-04: 50

1998-99: 47

2004-05: 47

1994-95: 45

2002-03: 44

1992-93: 43

1999-00: 42

1975-76: 41

1991-92: 40

1987-88: 37

2007-08: 37

1973-74: 30

1974-75: 26

1989-90: 26

1997-98: 25

2006-07: 21

1988-89: 20

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny and Dry with a Hard Frost.

"Southern England - stop moaning !!!!"

who's moaning? Just looks like reporting to me? By the way, we've had days on end of hardship stories about 'oop North on TV so lets keep a perspective on this...

The models? Cold, cold, cold by the look of it!

Posted

"Southern England - stop moaning !!!!"

who's moaning? Just looks like reporting to me? By the way, we've had days on end of hardship stories about 'oop North on TV so lets keep a perspective on this...

The models? Cold, cold, cold by the look of it!

Thats rhubarb, as laddo who's avatar looks like Boy George said, many places have had lying snow for 3 weeks and a lot of it, yet the media aren't too fussed. Yet as soon as a band of snow approaches the London commuter belt though we all need to know about it.

Posted

Sorry. Southern England biased Media - Stop Moaning !!!!

How's that? :(

PS. Now snowing again. Powder stuff, the kind that's 'wrong' for the South East! :D

This bitterness towards the South is very very dull.

On the plus side, 9-inches in my part of Surrey, I have a home-working kit so no need to risk myself or any one else on the road!

No moaning here.

Posted

Sorry. Southern England biased Media - Stop Moaning !!!!

How's that? :lol:

PS. Now snowing again. Powder stuff, the kind that's 'wrong' for the South East! :drunk:

I'd be careful, it's the 'SE' that pays for your NHS and other facilities.

Still snowing.

Edited by Optimus Prime

Posted

I'd be careful, it's the 'SE' that pays for your NHS and other facilities.

How do you work that one out? I thought we all paid for our NHS.

Posted

How do you work that one out? I thought we all paid for our NHS.

You would never be able to sustain the NHS with the population of the north. Anyway, its still snowing and its gonna snow some more.John Hammond just mentioned -20c could well be recorded in Scotland.

Posted

You would never be able to sustain the NHS with the population of the north.

What a clownish argument, clown. Go back to Krusty's Clown School.

We all pay the same percentage. And last time I looked there was an upper ceiling on NI contributions, so you can't even bring the higher average wage argument into it.