Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold Spell Discussion

shuggee

Posted

Fully agreed, welcome to Netweather by the way!

I can't believe that we haven't even got anything for ice either. Surely these will be added through the day.

Yes the Met Office have regularly issued orange advisories for "Widespread icy roads" Tonight will be no different.

Do you think the lack of warnings is due to the intensity of the precipitation moving south? In my opinion, I think the Met Office are expecting the rain/sleet/snow to peter out as it moves into the midlands - giving a dusting of snow at best.

Whether they are right or not is another matter! As I posted earlier, the 6z NAE chart shows the snow over central areas being pretty heavy - certainly enough for more than a dusting in some parts of the midlands.

Perhaps the east midlands will fare best. Surprised the N. Mids have been excluded though!

Posted

Did anyone else get any very light icy snow this morning? There were no visible clouds. Was a bit like diamond dust January 1987 et al.

Here in Surbiton, the cars were covered in thick frost this morning, but with I would estimate random 5mm blobs distributed over them also, and I wondered if it could have been the briefest of flurries overnight.

BTW, still waiting for decent snowfall in this part of SW London - so far it has fallen for a couple of hours yet come to very little, or fallen for 20 minutes then vanished.... third time lucky? I have a ten year-old who is becoming as obsessed with lamp post watching as me:)

Posted
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)
  • Location: Shortlands, Nr Bromley, Kent (could be Greater London, never quite sure!)

Did anyone else get any very light icy snow this morning? There were no visible clouds. Was a bit like diamond dust January 1987 et al.

Didn't actually see any falling but we've had an "icing sugar on the cake" simulation every morning this year so far (since 31st) and I'm yet to see a cloud!

DS

Posted

It was strange. I'm thinking it may be industrial pollution trapped in the very cold damp air above, with all the molecules clustering together the weight is too heavy to be supported and so falls to earth.

Posted

It was strange. I'm thinking it may be industrial pollution trapped in the very cold damp air above, with all the molecules clustering together the weight is too heavy to be supported and so falls to earth.

Or more to the point 'ice' (hoar frost) falling off trees. Happened here.

Posted

I know... Bummer eh!

Still not convinced Witney/Oxford area are going to get snow Tuesday/Wednesday. Looks a bit marginal to me, reckon icy rain/sleet.

Getting fed up with all this cold weather and no snow.

Posted

Latest models look "hot" :drinks: for Central Southern and Midlands for tomorrow - SE seem to be missing the brunt...

DS

Posted

I have to chuckle at how a few in the model thread constantly rave about the output for their particular area, and how they're due this that and the other which very rarely seems to materialise in anything like the way it's projected. Nothing's ever been forecast for these parts really, yet I haven't seen a blade of grass since December 17th.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Very Cold, Very Snowy

no eye candy here ofcoarse the meto are not going to put the warning up until they know for sure.

but if there correct then im sure the warnings will be issued in the next 12 hours or less.

oh i cant wait for the next lot of charts i need a stiff drink im getting really excited but trying to stay realistic.whistling.gif

Metp Flash Warning has now been issued

Posted

Heavy Snow Wed 6 Jan

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting parts of southern England and east Wales.

There is a potential for a period of heavy snow during Wednesday morning with locally large accumulations. The location of the heavy snow is uncertain and will be kept under review.

Issued at: 1553 Mon 4 Jan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Yes, it was very beautiful. About 9:30, temp -4 C, with very thin and low grey cloud. I did think at the time that on a warm day it would have been called mist and that the moisture in the air was crystallising. "Diamond dust" is a lovely name for it!

Hoping the dumping on Tuesday night is bad enough that I won't have to drive the lanes of North Hants on Weds morning <_<

Kate

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Latest models look "hot" :drinks: for Central Southern and Midlands for tomorrow - SE seem to be missing the brunt...

DS

Only the GFS is hinting this so far , ukmo says that SE wont miss the brunt

Posted

I don't know if it's just me but I can't see the snow (in W. Yorkshire) being as bad as the models suggest.

On Tuesday there are only two bands of very narrow precipitation on the projected radar. Will this really leave more than 5cm?

And after that I can't really see anything on Weds/Thurs at all, but the warnings are there. I can't understand the warnings and the excitement but I must be missing something.

Posted

Just thought for the first time to look at the Net-WX Temp Tracker. OK. Only 3-4 days in, but quite outstanding, with colder conditions still to come really until the end of the week (hope I haven't jinxed anything).

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=cet;sess=

Its not often you see being nearly 5oC below average.

Posted

Irrespective, for South Central England, I think you will find light snow, if any.....

Slight overly cooked again with too many youngsters over reading charts. IMHO anyway.

Posted

Well, i'm looking forward to a massive dump tomorrow evening.

Tomorrow morning.... rofl

Posted
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland
  • Weather Preferences: Storm-force northeasterly(with a high tide!).Blizzards.Sunny summer
  • Location: Head in the clouds somewhere near Avondale, West Auckland

Well, i'm looking forward to a massive dump tomorrow evening.

:lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Whether this is a "jinx" or not but on Radio 4 earlier ,John Kettley was interviewed and said it may be the coldest Winter since the early 80,s no sign of any letup....! :whistling::drinks::cold: