Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell 10

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!
I wouldn't take any notice of any MetO warnings, they have been dismal during this cold spell. IMBY we have had light/moderate rain throughout the night, washing away most of the snow/ice which was left. As for next week, looks extremely cold, but very dry for us!<br>

you should check my cam .... really heavy snowy blizzards i wouldnt be surprised if there right on this occasion. The snow and drifts are really starting to pile up now.

Posted

Its been snowing here all night, but there is not alot to show for it, but now it seems to have changed, big flakes which seems to cover if they get the chance to hit anything, but its the wind it is howling and the snow is horizontal, not a day to be going outside. The ground temp on the weather station up in Weir is now -1.8 which is much lower than it was last night

Shadowfax

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Its been snowing here all night, but there is not alot to show for it, but now it seems to have changed, big flakes which seems to cover if they get the chance to hit anything, but its the wind it is howling and the snow is horizontal, not a day to be going outside. The ground temp on the weather station up in Weir is now -1.8 which is much lower than it was last night

Shadowfax

fully agree with that Shadowfax.

hardly covered the car at 7.30 but now seems to be wanting to stick more.

my temperature reading is slowly falling and currently stands at 0.5'c from 0.9'c at 7am

as you said not a day for going out but may venture later and take a few pictures.

after all, even up here snow is never guaranteed

Ian

Posted

fully agree with that Shadowfax.

hardly covered the car at 7.30 but now seems to be wanting to stick more.

my temperature reading is slowly falling and currently stands at 0.5'c from 0.9'c at 7am

as you said not a day for going out but may venture later and take a few pictures.

after all, even up here snow is never guaranteed

Ian

Thats good to know, without a weather station of my own is just guess work what is going on, the wind seems to have abated a bit, no longer roaring like to was earlier. Just wish it would settle properly, maybe if the temp continues to drop we will have better cover.

Shadowfax

Posted

Snowing here although not settling and not looking likely to at the moment.

Temperature currently similar to that of last night during the lamp-post watch - however I will add that one subtle difference is the wind direction. Yesterday it was oscillating between East and North East - even South East on occassion. Now it looks more like a straightforward northeasterly.

Posted

Lots of misrable stinking rain with mild temperatures right here.

I can't see any temps getting below what they are right now.

2.7C and rising, dp is 1.4C and rising.

Wind easterly, was pretty raw this morning..but then thats pretty much died down somewhat. Not expecting anything for the next couple of days except more rain today...perhaps the water agencies should be banging out flood warnings, never seen so much rain here in such a short period of time, and its only going to get much worse before it gets better. As for cold temps I just can't see it, we are already in an easterly stream veering south easterly at times and its pretty mild out now considering.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

rain and sleet ehre, has been for the past 18 hours too!what happeened to the meto warning for heavy snow?!!!

Posted

Lovely icy cold RAIN here with a biting breeze and 2.9c. :unsure: :)

You just have to admire the current models though and for all the whinging and whining being done - In the last few years many would have jumped at the chance of having rain that MAY turn to snow or the prospects of ten days of bitter weather.

That alone is worth raising a glass to. :):drinks:

Edited by shaun l

Posted

Snowing here right now...wet, pointless snow (tempt 2.2C, dewpoint 0.3C) but snow nonetheless.

I see the Helm wind is in action today gusting up to 58mph at Warcop Range.

Mark

Posted

Lovely icy cold RAIN here with a biting breeze and 2.9c. :unsure: :)

You just have to admire the current models though and for all the whinging and whining being done - In the last few years many would have jumped at the chance of having rain that MAY turn to snow or the prospects of ten days of bitter weather.

That alone is worth raising a glass to. :):drinks:

I would never ever want rain turning to snow. It either snows properly or its raining, to me sleet is just more pointless rain. I have never seen so much continous rain this winter. It's almost been non stop apart from a few days here or there (3 days below freezing with 4 inches of snow). Mind you liverpool is known for its year round rain and mild conditions. Wonder if we'll break any January warmth records in the coming mild spell lol

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

I see the Helm wind is in action today gusting up to 58mph at Warcop Range.

Mark

My poor parents. If you check their weather station you'll see their maximum gust is 45mph, whilst my maximum gust is just 21mph. But as you know, with the helm, it's not si much the gusts, and the constant, unceasing roar of the wind, and their 10 min average wind speed is currently 26mph compared to my 8mph. Their windchill is also around -5C compared to my -2C. All that difference in just 10 miles.

I don't want their house when the time comes!

Posted

rain and sleet ehre, has been for the past 18 hours too!what happeened to the meto warning for heavy snow?!!!

Who would wanna be a meto forecaster eh?

To be fair to them they issue warnings for people who would be inconvenienced or endangered by the snow and ice potential from the current setup. Had they failed to issue a warning and it had turned out that snow was widespread there would have been a lot more complaints from people not interested in building snowmen!

For me the interest in this cold spell continues on after today. The last 24 hours has shown northern height rises and a negative Arctic Oscillation index are fundamental building building blocks for a sustained cold spell. The system that produced the mush would have been a different beast entirely had it been energised by the full force of the jet stream. As it happened it was a weak affair that had already had to negotiate its way around the Greenlland high so that by the time it ran into cooler air over the uk it ground to a halt off SW Ireland and its only remaining energy was rotational about its core.

The same scenario with a deeply entrenched pool of cold over the UK, fed by a strong flow from, say, Siberia would have resulted in a very different picture this morning.

In summary, the pattern already seen over the last couple of days looks set to reload several times in the next ten days or so. I wouldn't expect this to result in much snow for my part of the NW but the key is: Building blocks in place + UK cold pool being reinforced = potential there for snow just about anywhere.

Posted

My poor parents. If you check their weather station you'll see their maximum gust is 45mph, whilst my maximum gust is just 21mph. But as you know, with the helm, it's not si much the gusts, and the constant, unceasing roar of the wind, and their 10 min average wind speed is currently 26mph compared to my 8mph. Their windchill is also around -5C compared to my -2C. All that difference in just 10 miles.

I don't want their house when the time comes!

Windy here must by 40/50 mph at times, temp 0.5C snow shrs. Some drifting but until is sub 0C its not up to much.

Last Saturday night was brisk -4.2C with winds 30mph plus blowing snow 20ft high.

Mark

Posted

Just back from walking the dog on the fields up behind the house which are about 50-60ft higher up than the house, it was vile out there, very strong wind and blizzard conditions. It is definately settling up there and its still coming down now. Flake size varies by the minute.

Shadowfax

Posted

Cloudy but dry (at the moment) here @ Norbreck on the coast, temp currently 4.9 but feeling very cold in the wind, no snow prospects for the Fylde Coast I take??

Posted

Continuous Blizzards all day, yet just a few mins down the road in Oldham town centre there is no lying snow!! Just taken these pics, its a white-out and many local trans-pennine routes are closed

post-3616-12621725248513_thumb.jpg

post-3616-12621725444613_thumb.jpg

post-3616-12621725591713_thumb.jpg

post-3616-12621725744013_thumb.jpg

post-3616-12621725874613_thumb.jpg

post-3616-12621726005113_thumb.jpg

Posted

Just back from walking the dog on the fields up behind the house which are about 50-60ft higher up than the house, it was vile out there, very strong wind and blizzard conditions. It is definately settling up there and its still coming down now. Flake size varies by the minute.

Shadowfax

Sounds very similar to what is happening where I live. Snow not settling here although the surrounding hills - or what I can see of them! - appear to have a dusting. It is pretty wild out there though.

Posted
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool

Is the low still moving north ore is it heading south now .

Posted

Continuous Blizzards all day, yet just a few mins down the road in Oldham town centre there is no lying snow!! Just taken these pics, its a white-out and many local trans-pennine routes are closed

Great photos! good.gif

Amazing really to think that those were taken just up the road from me - it does illustrate very well what a difference that extra elevation makes.

Posted

Is the low still moving north ore is it heading south now .

I could be wrong, but it doesn't look like its going anywhere yet sadly. What a foul mess this is.

Typical of systems to get stuck over us when they're falling as RAIN. :pardon:

Edited by AderynCoch