Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Model Output Discussion

J10

Posted

GFS 18z very little change from 12z run so far. The point of intrest is at T+172 though, if it follows ECM 12z for a breakdown of the colder weather or keeps its distance. The most likely outcome is that it will keep its distance from ECM 12z. We shall wait and see

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Actually, it would be the GFS who picked it up first, remember all those posts dismissing previous 06Z runs because its being "over progressive" and we should bin it.

Not quite- the GFS was also reluctant to bring in any kind of NE'ly with those progressive runs, often keeping us in a slack east or even ESE flow from 3-5 January and then introducing a half-hearted 24-36 hour northerly followed by a toppling of the block. ECMWF does at least stick to its guns with the three days of north-north-easterly winds.

Posted

Another cold/very cold run from the gfs 18z up to +144,the high is in a better position so no quick sinker on this run.

Posted

Great last model run of 2009, GFS completly ignores ECM for the breakdown. Great Stuff

GFS @ T+180:

post-10203-12622982514313_thumb.png

Posted

Seems the Atlantic hits a brick wall.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn2764.png

I will add though that only yesterday the GFS was indicating the LP might hit the S. However in just 24hrs of modelling look how far S this LP is. My point is as much as I would love an E,ly to arrive, we have seen how 24hrs is very long time for these computer models.

Im going to keep a more open mind and wait until tomorrow mornings 0Zs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It is looking very likely that we will see some sort of mid latitude block form after around T+168, slowly sinking south. What then happens afterwards depends on where the high ends up.

ECMWF shows the mildest case scenario, with the high splitting in two, the branch over Scandinavia being shunted off east and the other branch sinking south allowing westerlies in.

GFS shows the coldest/snowiest case scenario- the high settles over the north allowing a cold easterly flow to persist well into the second week of January across central and southern districts, most likely feeding some snow showers in off the North Sea given the very cold uppers. JMA also suggests the same thing.

An alternative is that the high settles over the top of the UK leaving it cold but dry, but even then, if the southern arm of the jet stays strong it could force the high northwards a little, like some recent GFS runs have shown in FI. I think the "cold but dry with no more widespread snow" is a realistic option, which should be taken into account as well as the GFS/JMA possibility, but the ECMWF's evolution to mild south-westerlies strikes me as being pretty unlikely.

Posted

A good run from the 18z, not quite as good as the 12z of course but saying that its still a super cold run upto the 13th, would be way below 0C in that set-up...

ECM ensembles show two distinct sets of ideas just like TWS describes.

FWIW the 18z GFS control run is quite frankly unreal!

Posted

18z never to be taken too seriously but with HP developing towards Scandi and a slack flow, a real hard cold run. This would be what we would need to see in order to achieve an anomalously cold January in relation, to, er, the last twenty years or so.

like it.. :cold:

Posted

Happy New Year all :D

Loved GP's technical thread quote 'Brutally warmer temps bring winter to a premature end'

Looking at FI on the models I suggest thats correct and we can see a Bartlett (my favorite scenario)

arriving......

Seems like some serious cold in jan before we see warmer temps in Feb and a Bartlett forming

BBQ weather :)

Happy New Year all :cold:

Posted

18z never to be taken too seriously but with HP developing towards Scandi and a slack flow, a real hard cold run. This would be what we would need to see in order to achieve an anomalously cold January in relation, to, er, the last twenty years or so.

Happy New Year Ian,

I see you were included in the list of knowledgeable posters yesterday. I'd agree with that, even if I disagree on times :)

Will be very interesting to see whether the ECM is 'Off On One' or whetherit's picked up a signal. My own view is that the GFS tends to be better further out (in fact it goes so far out it can pick something, discard it and resurrect it and we don't notice), so I'll carry on looking at the cold :D:D

Posted

Happy new year all!!! Hope its a cold Jan/Feb, a nice Spring, and a long hot summer with nice storms every few days!!

Posted

Happy New Year to everyone, and may this cold last! :D :D :) :)

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

Happy new year everyone, its been great fun following the models for the last month or so, a real treat for us coldies!

Lets hope ECMWF makes for better viewing when we wake up:drinks:

Posted

Happy new year everyone, its been great fun following the models for the last month or so, a real treat for us coldies!

Lets hope ECMWF makes for better viewing when we wake up:drinks:

Probably wont be GFS 12z until most of us are up! :D:) :) :):D :D

Great runs, last GFS run was a stunner, we just want the ECM to go the same way!