Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion:

Posted

Temperature has risen here too but still only 0.1c and snowing.

Skies look quite dark to the west / north-west and radar looks OK so all in all quite promising. smile.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Hi,

Really? Is their some sort of Fohn effect setting up or something? It seems quite a shame that our area is cursed by these warm temperatures preventing precipitation falling as snow when a lot of the rest of the country and even our region has conditions which are conductive to snowfall. As I have said, we have had quite a few good falls during previous cold spells so why not assume it will change as the colder air digs in, -10 upper temps are modelled aren't they? Anyway what time do you expect the cold air to undercut, and do you think we get some snowfall after it occurs (say later on this evening)?

Luke

Hi Luke

Yes i do think you will see snow later probably a rain to snow event for you but after toady mate there will be no question

Anything that falls from the sky will be snow for everybody.

C.S

Posted

Hi,

Really? Is their some sort of Fohn effect setting up or something? It seems quite a shame that our area is cursed by these warm temperatures preventing precipitation falling as snow when a lot of the rest of the country and even our region has conditions which are conductive to snowfall. As I have said, we have had quite a few good falls during previous cold spells so why not assume it will change as the colder air digs in, -10 upper temps are modelled aren't they? Anyway what time do you expect the cold air to undercut, and do you think we get some snowfall after it occurs (say later on this evening)?

Luke

we have no idea Luke where you are talking about so can you please put your town in your avatar

thanks

Posted

And a very good morning and happy new year everyone biggrin.gif

fraid I took my eye off the ball with finishing off the last of the turkey, eating the cold srout and finishing the remains of the egg nog

Seriously - woke to find 2" of snow and very steady accumulation. Very heavy snow at the moment - lovely big flakes and a forecast for yet more more more over then next few days

at this rate, the ramp thread will wither and die !"!yahoo.gif

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing something from this, it just keeps on getting thicker and thicker, it must be the altitude, I am sure oldham, saddleworth and that area should see somthing, its heading in that direction on the radar.

Posted

Hi,

Luke

It's quite staggering how much modification there is from the Irish Sea. Added to this is the fact that warm air is being advected from the periphery of the current Greenland high due to the fact that the low currently tracking south has tracked further west than it was being modelled 24-36 hours ago. I think 10C might be pushing it a bit but who knows with our fascinating and totally unpredicatble climate.

As for the band (front/trough) pushing south, it looks as if it will be losing intensity as it pushes towards tha NW region. Still it will introduce much colder air and a NErly feed that will at least protect any lying snow if you already have it. Here's hoping :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Heavy snow here for the best part of two hours. Just got back from fetching the girls from dancing (!) and roads into and around the village impassable except in 4WD. Eased off slightly now though, and temp. up to 0.1C, so I hope this doesn't turn sleety.

Posted

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing something from this, it just keeps on getting thicker and thicker, it must be the altitude, I am sure oldham, saddleworth and that area should see somthing, its heading in that direction on the radar.

Seeing it now, heavy falls of fluffy white flakes. It's been off an on since 8am this morning, mainly light at times, but there's been two bouts of heavier stuff and this is the third round now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

well were coming up to the 2 hour mark and theres no let up. It went to fine snow for a bout 10 mins but all in all remains heavy snow here with getting on for 2-3 inches extra cover. Main roads up here were clear before hand but are now trecherous and I live on a main bus route. No sign of gitters so they will need ploughs at this rate lol. Flakes are enourmous and the trees luck lovely all suited up in white fluffy gold.

Very nice surpise indeed.

Cam still online (in signature) for all those want to check the progress in this neck of the woods. :)

Edit- Temp has been up and down from 1.6 to 1.9c since the ppn hit. Looks like its due to come to an end soon unless streamer activity starts in the irish sea to follow on.

can anyone with radar sub give an update please ?

Edited by Snowmad79

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Delighted for everyone inland or with some altitude getting snow this morning - fantastic that here in the NW we are getting our share. I say 'our' because although it's rain here atm I am confident, as others have pointed out, that for those of us in more marginal areas, we will have lower temps sooner than later and see more white than wet. Just looking at the last remnants of our big pre-Christmas snowman being diluted. But I believe like Doctor Who, he will soon be regenerated! :)

Edit - just seen your post wysiwyg - I do hope there will be something left in the 2nd band. Otherwise it'll be frozen roads and pavements!

Edited by snowdrifter

Posted

Being as we are in a very mild airflow I think we'll probably crack 7.5/8C easily today...its what happenes later this evening that really matter for us down here. Unless the wind swings direction and we get that trough I can only see temperatures increasing to more like spring time minima's as the days go on.

The East is a lot warmer, the south east is warmer, the north east as a very weak air stream unless you happen to be living on top of a mountain further north.

The North mild, West Mild, south west almost tropical lol

Sorry I just popped in to see if it was snowing in your region & noticed your post. Today in the north west (& other areas) it was supposed to be warmer than the last couple of days, with rain falling in most areas (apart from higher ground). The real cold will be with your area over the next couple of days & you will see snowinfact I just checked the online BBC forecast for the Wirral & they are giving heavy snow & a night time minimum on Wednesday of -12C!! cold.gif So your cold & snow will come. good.gif

Posted
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool

Hi,

Luke

Luke Over the last 30 years i have seen some big falls and low temps in liverpool dec 0000 being the last with a good dumping and it lasting till newyears eve .last year we also had some very low temps freezing princess dock dock near to were i am stationed trapping a goose in thick ice witch could support the weight of a 17 stone fireman,

Im no weather expert but im sure this cold spell will deliver everything you ever wished for. Sorry about the poor spelling am at work with no spell check.

Posted

The rain today radar shows the snow band narrowing all the time, with sleet either side of it, so it does appear parts of North Manchester including Rochdale, Oldham, Saddleworth etc are being favoured at the moment. Over the tops of the M62 looks attrocious.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

Its gone dark here!!! and absolutely chucking down with rain sleet hail and snow! Come on that cold air and turn this lot into pure snow:clap:

Posted

About 2cm lying snow here now, some really heavy burst mixed in with it. I think John Holmes should be applauded here, he did state that the NW would see some some of the white stuff today.

Posted

We are indeed! I did not realise myself how much had actually fallen and continues to fall until I opened the door this morning. Merely looking at it through the window did not give a true indication of snow depth on this occassion.

Snowing quite heavily at the moment. cold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

It's only the match Europe's been talking about....Blackpool v Ipswich in the cup. I'm not fussed about the football, but i did fancy going to tower models to buy some toys for myself.

You a Lasher then OON? - I am from the other end of the M55..! :wallbash: Tower Models have some decent O

Gauge "Toys" too - Raining hard here in Preston cant understand why the MO issued a warning - there has been some snow during the night but I am not sure how much as the rain has put paid to it and turned the roads to a fine slush - still our game against Col U will be on - Up the Whites.

Happy new year everyone! Not been following things very closely with the festivities but I thought any light precipitation this weekend would be of wintry variety. What a lovely surprise this morning that we're having a repeat of a couple of weeks ago, a nice breeze off the Irish sea means it's lashing down with rain near Warrington. Temps are in the 3-5 degree range for Merseyside and west Cheshire, but around freezing inland for Manchester + east Cheshire.

At least down here we get the hot summer weather. Oh wait...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

the 2nd band seems to be losings its steam and the southern uplands stopping it form getting much further south..

1.2c here

Posted

A nice covering of snow over past few hours here aswell....appears to be getting lighter now, but then has the odd heavy burst with nice juicy flakes. Temp 0oC and the A62 looks pretty bad from my house, not much gritting activity going on

Posted

Wow-temp coming down fast here to around 3.5c-massive black clouds and icy rain falling in strong wind.

Looks like the sudden temp drop was extremely accurate to say the least.

Significant temperature drop from 5.7C to 1.5C in the space of 35 minutes. Dew point was 1.9C now its marginal 0.7C and dropping.

Weather conditions very heavy sleet with quite large pellets. I have seen some storms in the past couple of decades but non quite like how this has behaved. Anyone would think nighttime is coming on with how dark its gotten.

Though I will say its looking very interesting for later this afternoon, with all those showers now really packing into the ne

Stats for today

Current Temp 1.5C (11.50am)

Max 5.7C (11.20am)

Dew point max 2.2

Dewpoint now: 0.6C

Current conditions heavy sleet shower.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Just been out and its pretty miserable. Cold at around 1c rain on and off, slush on the ground typical Preston winters day really. Looks like we are on the wrong side of marginal here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Temperature gone from 4.2c to 2.1c! Alternating from sleet to rain! Good stuff!