Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion:

Posted

I enjoyed splashing around in the puddles here so much i've now developed Trench Foot :nonono::wallbash: :wallbash:

lol yeah mate, at the moment people in wigan including myself are wondering what all the hype is about, today was another chilly but not cold day with a speckle of snow and no frost.

I think the most low level areas will continue on this thread, maybe next week will throw something up, but right now im just not seeing it.

John

Posted

Whilst the Irish Sea undoubtedly has an effect on snowfall potential in scenarios such as we had this afternoon, the key difference for me was the fact that warm air was dragged eastwards and mixed with the cold feed as the low moved south. In simple terms we had HP out to our NW circulating relatively warm air. Airmasses generally migrate such that HP air will move to "fill" LP areas and as a result of this we had warm air mixed in. The low over the UK was effectively higher pressure (~1010mb) than the LP sat off our SW (~996mb) and so was heading South to fill that area. It's marginal at the best of times here so inevitably coasts and western low-lying areas of Cumbria, Lancashire, Merseyside and Cheshire are always going to be on the wrong side of marginal in this type of setup. Before christmas, as HotCuppa already described, we had a much more agressive southerly plunge of cold that meant there was less mixing of the warm air out to the west.

Looking here ( ) we would appear to have around 7oC in the Irish Sea with some cooler water close to the Lancashire coast. If we can get a more active cold feed from the NW without too much modified air from out west in the coming days there is still a good chance of more snow. The shortwave modelled by the GFS for Tuesday, followed by the active NErly feed behind it may prove to be better than today. However, at this range the models are struggling to get the synoptics spot on and unfortunately for the marginal parts of the NW, 50 or so miles further west can have a big impact on what falls from the sky here.

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

Hey wysiwyg - what is Winter hill looking like now?

Posted

Well earlier today when I went for a walk it was still looking white, not sure if that was from before christmas or topped up today. Unfortunately, I cant see it from my house anymore as someone built a block of flats in front of it :o. (and it's dark lol )

Posted

LOL @ Trench foot! Is it me or is there another area of snow coming down from north east on the radar?

Nice pics Storm,

Possibly some more snowfall on the way. It's losing some of it's strength but still something decent there by the time it hits our parts. Latest 17:15 radar shows the southern tip of it just reaching Halifax.

Posted

Well earlier today when I went for a walk it was still looking white, not sure if that was from before christmas or topped up today. Unfortunately, I cant see it from my house anymore as someone built a block of flats in front of it :o. (and it's dark lol )

I cant see it from my house anyway - wrong side of the hill.

Temp had dropped to 1c but it is now rising to 2.2c with dp of 1.9c :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

temp -1.2c DP -3

light ne breeze, feeling very cold

met office long range for next week says severe frosts extreme in places, never seen them use that in a forecast...

Edited by james12

Posted

snowing now again. 4 + inches earlier today to add to what hadn't thawed.

Posted

snowing now again. 4 + inches earlier today to add to what hadn't thawed.

Glad to hear that! good.gif

Have been watching the radar and the band of ppn is almost here. Temp. has risen ever so slightly to 0.4c - should be OK with that.

EDIT: Snowing here too!

Edited by winterman

Posted

Started off as a very light sleety mix here now, probably just on the intial fringes of the band. If it's sleet, I don't want it lol I want to keep the white powdery stuff lying outside.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

We've got torrential nothing at the moment , not even a subzero temp 0.5c :)

Edited by Spurry

Posted

We've got torrential nothing at the moment , not even a subzero temp 0.5c :D

Just dropped my girlfriend offin the town centre and there was very light snow falling. Typically, it was light rain by the time I reached Appley Bridge.

Had a 'moment' on a patch of black ice outside Rhodes Peugeot, so it must be colder there than it is here. Currently 2.4c and dp 2.1c

Posted
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool
  • Location: coppull near chorley lancashire. and the pier head liverpool

I can see it from my house and yesterday it had a nice snow cap on it ,dont know about today i am at work in liverpool and it will be dark when i get home.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Just dropped my girlfriend offin the town centre and there was very light snow falling. Typically, it was light rain by the time I reached Appley Bridge.

Had a 'moment' on a patch of black ice outside Rhodes Peugeot, so it must be colder there than it is here. Currently 2.4c and dp 2.1c

According to the NW radar there is snow falling over my location , but unless it's bloody invisible snow then i dispute that :D

Winter hillhas a nice snow cap but it looked pretty brown lower down this afternoon...think i may take a ride over the other side of it tomorrow and go on a snow hunt

Posted

Just to note, some of the snow over me is slowly filtering eastwards...I'm near Huddersfield.

Posted

Netweather are forecasting the risk of snow for us in South Liverpool at 77% risk at 6pm and 92% at 9 pm. At the moment it is not even raining.

I guess if it did manage to snow here it wouldn't stick as although the temp has dropped it doesn't yet feel cold enough. The temp at the airport is 2c....

Edited by LiverBird

Posted

This is looking much better now.

Wind has picked up, temp. has dropped a little and it is still snowing - not heavily, but it is quite a wintry scene out there.smile.gif

Posted

A real sleety mix here, still sticking to the cars (those which have been swept of this morning's snow, including mine) but it has a wet look to it. Winds picked up too.