Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion:

Posted
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL
  • Location: Appley Bridge, Nr. Wigan, Lancashire, approx 50m ASL

Temp not dropping much (1.9c) but dp is (-2.4c) now.

Think that band will just miss me - may be as well.

Posted

The good thing in this situation of course is that anyone who does currently have a decent covering is likely to keep it for the next week or so - all being well.

Prospects also improve into next week for those without any snowcover at the moment. Win/win as far as I'm concerned.cold.gifcold.gifcold.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

-2.2c under clear skies and the wind is dropping off now, may get down to -3 maybe -4c tonight if it stays clear and calm.

there seem to be many on here misunderstanding whats ahead, extreme cold and the risk of heavy snowfall will remain for the next week and beyond. although i tend not to take what the models are showing after a week with to much confidence.

and have read various posts in other threads from experienced people, and would have me believe im to young to remember the synoptics currently on offer

Edited by james12

Posted

Just back from a day out to Huddersfield to watch football.

Decent snowstorm at about 6.15 in Huddersfield, but the highlight of the day was a brief stop in Stalybridge for a pint at the station, nice amount of snow covering, beautiful scenes on the train over pennines.

Slight covering on returning home, sheet ice mainly but hey, another good day!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Some more snow in the past hour or two, quite heavy at times and the wind is whipping up blowing it almost horizontal! We have about 4 inches at this level now which was very unexpected! Temp dipped below freezing now, -0.3°C

Posted

Some more snow in the past hour or two, quite heavy at times and the wind is whipping up blowing it almost horizontal! We have about 4 inches at this level now which was very unexpected! Temp dipped below freezing now, -0.3°C

Sounds about right James - much the same here.

Should be a very sharp frost once this lot clears.

Posted

It was odd driving from home to Blackpool today. As soon as I reached the M6, the snow started to disappear until I got to the Lancashire border, where it all went. At least we won.

I would like to take this opportunity to say sorry to anyone who lives in Blackpool. It must be awful for you.

Posted

[quote name=Osbourne One-Nil' date='02 January 2010 - 21:16 ' timestamp='1262466980'

post='1691646]

It was odd driving from home to Blackpool today. As soon as I reached the M6, the snow started to disappear until I got to the Lancashire border, where it all went. At least we won.

I would like to take this opportunity to say sorry to anyone who lives in Blackpool. It must be awful for you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Congtats for the footy OON, but I thought by 'awful' you meant Blackpool's lack of snow. Got a pic on my phone from my sis in Bury - 2 inches of snow this am! At least Plymouth held Newcastle to 0-0 today. Dare I trek up the the north east in 10 days? Might get stranded in toon land.

Posted

Three sendings off, a missed penalty and an away FA Cup win. Also the first time I've sat in a stand made from scaffolding.

There was actually some snow south of Lancaster, but it looked very temporary.

Posted

You're right it is awful i'll have to move further inland to see some decent snow, everywhere in the north west seems to be reporting snow but here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

You're right it is awful i'll have to move further inland to see some decent snow, everywhere in the north west seems to be reporting snow but here.

Hi Mark - can we start a Fylde Coast we-get-no-snow club? That pre-Christmas fall felt like gold-dust! :cold:

Posted

Hi Mark - can we start a Fylde Coast we-get-no-snow club? That pre-Christmas fall felt like gold-dust! smile.gif

Yes good idea snowdrifter, infact i work in st.Annes as a postman and on 21st dec when we got the first snowfall it ground our postal service to almost a halt.

Posted

Presume the Netw people in Oldham are getting quite a bit of snow, the snow is dying out just as it gets to my location, we're left with mainly light snow but with biiig flakes!

Posted

Waspy bits of snow falling now, even though I can see the full moon above. Might just be the final act of invigoration before this last band of snowy precip leaves our parts.

Although in a head-to-head with this morning's snowfall it would have been; North Westerly component 10 - 1 North Easterly Component lol

Posted

Oi i'm not :p

Agree about the pre Christmas snow though, this morning was way too marginal for us West of the M6, but after the cold air kicks in we may have a chance if some showers can make it over the pennines this week even on the coast. You would think i'd get used to a lack of snow living here, that pre Christmas fall was a one in 20 year event as far as i'm concerned, and it makes you want more :cold:

At least i now know that it can still snow here.

Posted

Oi i'm not laugh.gif

Agree about the pre Christmas snow though, this morning was way too marginal for us West of the M6, but after the cold air kicks in we may have a chance if some showers can make it over the pennines this week even on the coast. You would think i'd get used to a lack of snow living here, that pre Christmas fall was a one in 20 year event as far as i'm concerned, and it makes you want more doh.gif

Yes agree with you there, it lasted on the ground for the best part of a week, helped along of course by the snowfall on the 23rd.

Posted

Oi i'm not :p

Agree about the pre Christmas snow though, this morning was way too marginal for us West of the M6, but after the cold air kicks in we may have a chance if some showers can make it over the pennines this week even on the coast. You would think i'd get used to a lack of snow living here, that pre Christmas fall was a one in 20 year event as far as i'm concerned, and it makes you want more :cold:

Hi SFZ, did you wake up to snow this morning? Went to the Capitol Centre this afternoon, and from the end of the M55 onwards there was melted snow/slush. Beacon Fell looked good in the distance.

Edited by snowdrifter

Posted

Hi SFZ, did you wake up to snow this morning? Went to the Capitol Centre this afternoon, and from the end of the M55 onwards there was melted snow/slush. Beacon Fell looked good in the distance.

A bit on the ground, but it was a slushy mess by mid morning when the sleety stuff started to get heavier. We still have a bit of snow left here from pre Christmas believe it or not, mainly in areas where the sun does not get to plenty of thick ice left on the side roads too we still have half a snowmans body in the front garden too :lol: Beacon fell looks a cert for next weekend if this week goes to plan.

Posted

Well I've been visited by snowbands from two almost opposite directions in the space of 14hrs today. Not a bad mid-winters day all around :lol: Still flakey bits of snow falling here and there. Going to be very cold for the next 4-6 days, with no signs of a milder breakdown on the horizon.

I hope lots more parts of the North West particularly those at lower levels and near the coasts benefit from the colder snap that's on it's way. Let's hope more of us get to see this lovely white stuff!

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted

I hope lots more parts of the North West particularly those at lower levels and near the coasts benefit from the colder snap that's on it's way. Let's hope more of us get to see this lovely white stuff!

I echo those sentiments entirely. Looking at the radar, it seems that the final band of ppn is virtually upon us - if not some of us already. After that just watch those temperatures plummet. smile.gif

Posted

Waspy bits of snow falling now, even though I can see the full moon above. Might just be the final act of invigoration before this last band of snowy precip leaves our parts.

Although in a head-to-head with this morning's snowfall it would have been; North Westerly component 10 - 1 North Easterly Component lol

It's really odd, this snow is a tiny finger heading exactly East to West over the Pennines to N Manchester, the whole lot is moving south, yet the pptn is definaltey an E-W movement.

Posted

A very generous post dodge. Somehow I can't imagine such words on another thread I won't name. :whistling: