Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Cold Spell Discussion:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

Hiya isleofwightgal,

Just a few flecks about today but as you say we've had loads so can't complain! I'm looking at the south west thread as well; it's good fun there too although I haven't posted anything. They have heavy snow forecast Tues/Wed and I think it's the backend of that which is forecast to possibly reach us but I doubt it. The model thread is good too as they're saying the temperatures will be too high so any snow will be marginal (far south west only) if at all (it looks like a lot of liquid coming our way anyway but most likely rain).

Who knows? Part of the fun....

Yeah i read the models thread a lot but a lot of it goes over my head!! Im more optimistic and positive for future snowfall now after wot has happened this week - it really has been amazing!!

Im sure i will be glued to these threads right up until April and hoping and praying for more :)

I think now we've had a taste we just want more haha :shok:

Posted

quite right iowsnowgal. we have been starved for so long down here, and now we have had a taste we want more. i see there is potential hype about tuesday and wednesday, but at this stage optomism is low. granted the meto are doing what is right in their eyes by issuing the warnings as it is their duty, but i feel its still too far ahead to call anything yet. snow beginning to melt away fairly rapidly here, but we do have some conciliatory snowflakes blowing along every now and then. im sure i saw one settle too!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Blimey - heard a rumour on another thread that the snowstorm currently in Germany called Daisy might reach the uk by next weekend......bit like reading the horoscopes isn't it? rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Blimey - heard a rumour on another thread that the snowstorm currently in Germany called Daisy might reach the uk by next weekend......bit like reading the horoscopes isn't it? rolleyes.gif

Hello,

I heard on one of the threads earlier today that maybe we should be looking east and not to the southwest for the next bit of action, in fact way before late Tues/Wed. If you roll the animation sequence on the following, http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760 you can see the atlantic is not many inroads at all at the moment and the flow is stronger to our east where the bitter air remains. I will be looking due east in the next couple of days, for sure. Also keep an eye on the Dewpoints and the barometric trend as that should tell its own story.

Still plenty of fun yet!

Maybe this should be copied to the MO discussion thread too, mind you I'm no expert just my gut feeling.

Wintry Cheers

STORMBOY

Hello,

I heard on one of the threads earlier today that maybe we should be looking east and not to the southwest for the next bit of action, in fact way before late Tues/Wed. If you roll the animation sequence on the following, http://www.yr.no/satellitt/1.5941760 you can see the atlantic is not many inroads at all at the moment and the flow is stronger to our east where the bitter air remains. I will be looking due east in the next couple of days, for sure.

Also keep an eye on the Dewpoints and the barometric trend as that should tell its own story. Still plenty of fun yet!

Maybe this should be copied to the MO discussion thread too, mind you I'm no expert just my gut feeling.

Wintry Cheers

STORMBOY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Hi Stormboy,

Why don't you copy to model discussion thread and see what they have to say? I'm not much help unfortunately but I haven't heard about anything our way except the possibility of some light snow on Wednesday - BBC graphics show grey cloud until Friday then fog so their guess is as good as mine!!

Posted

quite right iowsnowgal. we have been starved for so long down here, and now we have had a taste we want more. i see there is potential hype about tuesday and wednesday, but at this stage optomism is low. granted the meto are doing what is right in their eyes by issuing the warnings as it is their duty, but i feel its still too far ahead to call anything yet. snow beginning to melt away fairly rapidly here, but we do have some conciliatory snowflakes blowing along every now and then. im sure i saw one settle too!

a lot of precip coming down as snow in Kent, what chance of it reaching us do you reckon?

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Hi Stormboy,

Why don't you copy to model discussion thread and see what they have to say? I'm not much help unfortunately but I haven't heard about anything our way except the possibility of some light snow on Wednesday - BBC graphics show grey cloud until Friday then fog so their guess is as good as mine!!

Done, now I better duck. girl_devil.gif

What the hell, we're all learning from the severe winter of 2010 and especially so are the models.

Keep your eyes to the skies.

STORMBOY

Posted

Good for you! Be interesting to see what their response is.....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

a lot of precip coming down as snow in Kent, what chance of it reaching us do you reckon?

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

yes i just popped in and noticed that on the met office radar that will most likely fizzle before it gets to us much like most of what came in earlier that all fizzled or gave us drizzle lol.

Posted

yes i just popped in and noticed that on the met office radar that will most likely fizzle before it gets to us much like most of what came in earlier that all fizzled or gave us drizzle lol.

Yes earlier I reckoned that would fizzle out too but now I am not so sure. as there seems to be a band of snow developing from Woking down to Brighton which I am watching with interest as if it continues without fading it could reach me in around 90 mins I estimate. Looking more interesting than early today to be sure.

Posted

If it can get to Bognor, I reckon it will be with us in about 3 hours if there's anything left (mind you I'll be asleep by then!)

Posted

very interesting point there. didnt watch the radar for a bit as it can be agony at times, but have noticed the (minor) developments in the se. was this supposed to happen? i thought everything had fizzled and gone. granted that still can happen lol

Posted

Seen interesting post on sw re any snow coming our way Tues/Wed:

"Note a signal for snowfall primarily to higher ground across parts of Devon - also for areas in and around Bristol wrapping around the M4 corridor W quadrant into parts of E Gloucestershire into areas South of Birmingham and generally West of the main City. Those in 4 with the highest signal for disruption based on latest guidance is Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, Herefordshire and Shropshire including much of Central and North Wales.

Although the latest models indicate a risk for other parts of the North West and into parts of Hampshire this signal is relatively weak at present. Note there is scope for the areas East of the Dartmoor area currently assigned a 1 to attain 2 or 3 subject to the next few NAE and GFS guidance releases."

This chap is good so I'm not thinking about midweek now.

Posted

This from the SE thread:- Moderate snow in Brighton now and it is sticking. It seems to be coming from a narrow band that is intensifying as it moves west.

Looking good?

Posted

Funnily enough I was thinking about the south east while in the shower (like you do lol!!!) I heard it was snowing in Eastbourne (but it was also snowing yesterday and didn't reach this far) but Brighton seems tantalisingly close (about 50 miles west from me)!! Depends what it decides to do, fizzle out or decides it fancies a trip in a different direction lol!! Still interesting though...... Amazing if it reached us!

Posted

Funnily enough I was thinking about the south east while in the shower (like you do lol!!!) I heard it was snowing in Eastbourne (but it was also snowing yesterday and didn't reach this far) but Brighton seems tantalisingly close (about 50 miles west from me)!! Depends what it decides to do, fizzle out or decides it fancies a trip in a different direction lol!! Still interesting though...... Amazing if it reached us!

the shower? that is unusual lol. i officially make you the first person with weather ocd lol

Posted

Correction - Brighton is 50 miles east from me, I am 50 miles west of Brighton!! wacko.gif

the shower? that is unusual lol. i officially make you the first person with weather ocd lol

Must have been all that precipitation in my bathroom ha ha!! rofl.gif

Posted

sounds good. being further east than many of us, you are our eyes in these desperate times coldfingers!

I will do my best Southernskies. Sad thing is that it is really likely to miss me even if it moves this way as it usually runs north of the Downs, hence the appellation 'Sunny Bognor' Oh how I hate those hills sometimes.:rolleyes: It does usually come back along Portsmouth way though. Who knows if it will make it even this far though.

This is a really good site at the moment for snow watching. http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Edited by coldfingers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW

I will do my best Southernskies. Sad thing is that it is really likely to miss me even if it moves this way as it usually runs north of the Downs, hence the appellation 'Sunny Bognor' Oh how I hate those hills sometimes.:rolleyes: It does usually come back along Portsmouth way though. Who knows if it will make it even this far though.

This is a really good site at the moment for snow watching. http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

So technically if theres a chance it may hit portsmouth it cud hit the IOW?? :unknw: Im clutchin at straws now I know..... :blush:

Posted

So technically if theres a chance it may hit portsmouth it cud hit the IOW?? :) Im clutchin at straws now I know..... :)

i shouldnt worry.i think we all are now and with good reason! 2 days of being let down and a threat of warm weather is enough to drive any snow lover to clutch at straws

Posted

So technically if theres a chance it may hit portsmouth it cud hit the IOW?? :) Im clutchin at straws now I know..... :)

Ah so greedy :) I thought all you lot on the IOW had a winter wonderland, not like my measly 2 inches.:) Seriously though if it could reach me I would definitely expect it to reach you as you seem to end up with much more precip than Bognor. I am already constantly peering out of the window even though I know it will be a good while before it could travel the 25 miles from Brighton.

PS. Looking at the radar it looks like you already have a few showers on the IOW

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Someone said the system is breaking up now but maybe it will mend itself again and continue along to our friendly central southern area!