Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Cold Spell Discussion:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

morning folks. had continuous snizzle here for some time now, with temps at 0.5 c . i can see there being sustained snizzle showers throughout today. i agree with coxxy. it appears there is a queeze developing right over us. wonder if it will produce anything of note. also agree with the changes to the sw with regards to direction. time to keep those eyes peeled on meto sat and radar

Hi all.....this is interesting stuff...now excuse my ignorance what do you mean by a squeeze? i.e. what is it made of and what is the effect. I kinda think I know from what you all been saying but dont want to go off on the wrong track...

Edited by Polar Bear

Posted

Hi all.....this is interesting stuff...now excuse my ignorance what do you mean by a squeeze? i.e. what is it made of and what is the effect. I kinda think I know from what you all been saying but dont want to go off on the wrong track...

now i am far from clued up, however my view is that the winds are causing a (potential) area of minor development south of the iow in the channel which is the border between the differing winds.

playing the image loop on

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/satpics/latest_uk_ir.html

might give you a better idea.

this is just my view and opinion and i do not proclaim to know anything. just going on observations

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Still quiet here in Horndean, slight thaw going on. Latest precipitation charts are on the south west thread which show plenty of rain for us (south coast) Tuesday and Wednesday. What a messy mix that's going to be with the lying snow!

Posted

i have seen mixed charts with regards to the precip type for tues and weds. some say snow, some rain and others say nothing at all as they suggest it wont make it this far.

it really is a pickle which the models seem to be having real trouble coping with, having at least tried to follow those topics.

still a very slight thaw here, but nothing too drastic. still very icy roads and snizzle all round

Posted

i have seen mixed charts with regards to the precip type for tues and weds. some say snow, some rain and others say nothing at all as they suggest it wont make it this far.

it really is a pickle which the models seem to be having real trouble coping with, having at least tried to follow those topics.

still a very slight thaw here, but nothing too drastic. still very icy roads and snizzle all round

Another example of nowcasting coming up methinks!

Somewhere on the boundary could get a lot of snow tomorrow into Weds, only thing is knowing exactly where! The cold pool aloft has diminished slightly, which means that elevation will be key to getting prolonged snowfall.

A close watch is needed, especially for those who have to commute!

Posted

Hi southernskies, thanks for your help on squeeze. On mixed charts tend to agree and this has been like this since last week. Everything started getting confusing from Sat night. ( I stayed in Brighton thinking I wouldnt be able to get back today!! and then nought much happened). I have heard the same, snow, rain, and some not a dicky bow. This must be causing forecasters a right stressful time, I kinda feel sorry for them all and what with the expectations being even higher for them to get it more right......One thing though I think more people are in tune with the weather out of this...I hope.....unknw.gif

I am going to go with milder conditions and the atlantic low winning the day and rain. Not one I desire, but I must prepare for disapointment now...then if it does turn to snow it is a massive bonus! clap.gif

Edited by Polar Bear

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

I know what you mean - even our local newspaper is saying there won't be anymore snow for our area (not sure I'd actually want to print that!) One things for sure - somewhere will get snow and I think that will be Gloucester/Wales/north M4 etc.

Posted

Somewhere on the boundary could get a lot of snow tomorrow into Weds, only thing is knowing exactly where! The cold pool aloft has diminished slightly, which means that elevation will be key to getting prolonged snowfall.

JONESYEEEE !!! HELLO!!

How are you? I havent been back to Newbury since the load of snow last week. Must pM you to see how things are..

hope you is well ok.

Posted

Light snow grains falling in Southsea & 2C, strangely the same temp it was yesterday when it was falling as light rain, obviously the upper air temps must have dropped again over us... clap.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

I know what you mean - even our local newspaper is saying there won't be anymore snow for our area (not sure I'd actually want to print that!) One things for sure - somewhere will get snow and I think that will be Gloucester/Wales/north M4 etc.

well if theres snow grains today then upper air and land air are good sign.

if uppers stay the same as the front from the sw make inroads it could be very intresting.

but im skeptical but its 50/50.

Posted

I'm with you on that one badboy.

Met office have just updated their warnings. We are still yellow though although some of the southwest look like they'll get a lot (80% for 5cm to 20cm particularly high ground upgrade).

Posted

My money's on the Reading-Basingstoke corridor since we seem to be on such a roll this winter :mellow:. Seriously, it's far from certain where and how much - will be looking at the radar (and the nearest lamp post) with interest.

Posted

Blimey - I laughed too!! Hope the frozen rain doesn't happen down here tomorrow - let the south west have its snow and I'll take nil precipitation please weather - thank you!

Posted

Blimey - I laughed too!! Hope the frozen rain doesn't happen down here tomorrow - let the south west have its snow and I'll take nil precipitation please weather - thank you!

lol. placing weather orders now. if only it was that easy...

also is anyone else getting this constant snizzle atm? had it for about 3 hours now, but nothing on radar

Posted

Well, it's been drizzle in Bournemouth since 6am, and given that it is below freezing and has been all morning, I feel tomorrow is set for a very wet rainy day, as the colder air even when it was here, just couldn't help get it together in this area.

Given the lack of cold air here, the front will makes it way through and the battleground will be further east & north of here.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

I agree with you there Dorsetbred - the Met Office have just extended their warnings east and north for Wednesday. I do hope the east don't get the best bits because they've had enough already lol! I've already dug my brolly out the cupboard!

Posted

Well, it's been drizzle in Bournemouth since 6am, and given that it is below freezing and has been all morning, I feel tomorrow is set for a very wet rainy day, as the colder air even when it was here, just couldn't help get it together in this area.

Given the lack of cold air here, the front will makes it way through and the battleground will be further east & north of here.

Yuk!! I hate drizzle!! Dry here today after an extra 1cm of snow falling overnight to freshen up the lying snow.

I'm hoping for a bit more late tomorrow night. :drinks: