Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

reef

Posted

First of all i wouldnt expect the worse id expect what has been forcast although your method would lead to a slight decrease in disapointments.

Second of all them symbols are rubbish and rob showed snow all over us on sunday night and monday.

Thirdly them temp predicted ignore them they can be so inaccurate at times mate smile.gif

Hope that helps smile.gif

I hope your right snowman, but just my opinion as it stands i'm going for sleety showers to hit us, I've read comments from users on here who seem well judged in forecasting the weather and they are saying it will be warming up at the coasts from now on in, there are also users in other local threads who are on the coast who are also saying its warming up along their coast line also, so its going to be very marginal snowman but dont get me wrong I hope your right :unsure:

Posted

Anyone got snow?

Occasional light flurries here, barely no precip. Sir Robert McKelwie very bullish earlier about snow prospects tomorrow into Monday, in fact he said it will be something that we don't see very often!!

If it verifies as forecast, with snow all night, the roads will be extremely quiet for the Monday rush hour.

Karl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Worth keeping an eye on the small band of snow just developing in the North Sea.

As for tomorrow and Monday I'm hopeful for a good top up here, and maybe even a day off work on Monday. We have someone in our street who works for the council and they are now only gritting main routes to hospitals, so their supplies must be critical now.

Posted

Worth keeping an eye on the small band of snow just developing in the North Sea.

As for tomorrow and Monday I'm hopeful for a good top up here, and maybe even a day off work on Monday. We have someone in our street who works for the council and they are now only gritting main routes to hospitals, so their supplies must be critical now.

Think you're right there Mark, on both counts. I think we could be in for the best dumping for years tomorrow. This is obviously going to create problems for many, especially loads of people who have had over a foot of snow already and have had to clear it for access. The y are running out of room to put it all!The transort systems could grind to a halt on monday if this comes off. Gateshead council said on Friday that they had enough grit stocks to last until tomorrow, although I suspect they will try to eke it out. However, you can only stretch something so far until it breaks can't you?

Anyway, for all us snow-lovers we have an exciting 36 hrs ahead.

Karl

Edited by snowmackem

Posted

Think you're right there Mark, on both counts. I think we could be in for the best dumping for years tomorrow. This is obviously going to create problems for many, especially loads of people who have had over a foot of snow already and have had to clear it for access. The y are running out of room to put it all!The transort systems could grind to a halt on monday if this comes off. Gateshead council said on Friday that they had enough grit stocks to last until tomorrow, although I suspect they will try to eke it out. However, you can only stretch something so far until it breaks can't you?

Anyway, for all us snow-lovers we have an exciting 36 hrs ahead.

Karl

hope you get your snow event snowmackam, are we ( middlesbrough )still looking at sleet on the coast or more persistant snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

hope you get your snow event snowmackam, are we ( middlesbrough )still looking at sleet on the coast or more persistant snow?

Dave were 8miles from the coast :whistling:

Posted

Although there are doubters on here, I suspect that you may start off with a sleety mix(no rain)which will turn fairly readily to snow as DPs drop and evaporative cooling kicks in. On the coast you may find it snowing as big fat flakes that will quickly add to already lying snow, whilst inland across the region the snow will tend to be more powdery(from 3 miles inland).It won't in any event be gently falling "hypno snow" but horizontal, swirly and "nasty to be out in" almost blizzard-like conditions in the strong bitter wind. Stay indoors if you can.

Karl

Posted

Dave were 8miles from the coast :whistling:

thats true Snowstorm, I'm still in the very marginal zone bracket, I just dont like these temp rises along the coastline and unless the met and bbc are hiding sometrhing from us, i still think it will be sleety showers that hit us.

whats the dewpoint currently at does someone know?

Posted

Dave the temp is 3C and Dew point is -5C

Posted

Although there are doubters on here, I suspect that you may start off with a sleety mix(no rain)which will turn fairly readily to snow as DPs drop and evaporative cooling kicks in. On the coast you may find it snowing as big fat flakes that will quickly add to already lying snow, whilst inland across the region the snow will tend to be more powdery(from 3 miles inland).It won't in any event be gently falling "hypno snow" but horizontal, swirly and "nasty to be out in" almost blizzard-like conditions in the strong bitter wind. Stay indoors if you can.

Karl

Karl thats the best forecast I've read regarding today's possibilities, I'll hold you to that lol :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Karl

A bit too optimistic- I fancy inland areas having the big fat flakes and coastal areas having wet snow which if anything thaws the existing snow cover a bit rather than adding to it.

As it happens I currently have the latter down here in Norwich, and the Tyneside coast is progged to be about 1C warmer than Norwich tomorrow, so I certainly wouldn't advise getting your hopes up.

Posted

A bit too optimistic- I fancy inland areas having the big fat flakes and coastal areas having wet snow which if anything thaws the existing snow cover a bit rather than adding to it.

As it happens I currently have the latter down here in Norwich, and the Tyneside coast is progged to be about 1C warmer than Norwich tomorrow, so I certainly wouldn't advise getting your hopes up.

so from sleet earlier its now wet snow/snow lol :wallbash: Im expecting snow 8 miles from the coast so should be fine hopefully:D

Posted

Karl thats the best forecast I've read regarding today's possibilities, I'll hold you to that lol :wallbash:

lol,it's the weather, don't rush off to Ladbrookes, we'll see if I'm right this time tomorrow.

Karl

Posted

The only thing we all can do is sit tight and wait, Surface temps are very low and 850's ar eprogged to be around -8 or -7, dewpoints hovering arond 0 or a little above and air temps forecast to be around 3 or maybe a 4 (at the highest), the band is coming in overnight which is a plus because its cooler then.... so i dont know! We will all have to wait and see, maybe well be dissapointed maybe not.... but its all to play for... i dont think it could become more marginal especially here at the coast!

SM06

Posted

Hi TWS - Thanks for that, I'm not sure what to make of it to be honest with you ( I'm sort of thinking what your saying and I think thats what will happen ) but on the other hand you did say the other day that you didn't expect us to get the pasting we got Thursday and Friday, so I suppose its just a case of waiting to see what happens.

Posted

Hi TWS, sorry you're losing your snow down in Naarrich !

I think wrt tomorrows event we both stand an equal chance of being right. Not that I think you are wrong, just that it's still 20 hrs away and the way we are in a period of turmoil and flux with the rather mobile weather patterns atm, in 2o hrs anything could happen. Small swings either way can make huge differences as you know. I think surface temps tomorrow won't have a lot of bearing on the result/precip type, we will be looking at DPs to decide who gets what, do you agree?

Karl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

I haven't looked because I'm feeling ill but I've been told that it's currently around 2C here so the thaw has started. Also based on that temp I'm not particularly hopeful for tomorrow, I still have scars from the January event.

Posted

Quite a rapid thaw underway here. Overnight it has started to erase our snow cover. There is now a 6" wide snowless zone around the house boundary, gaps in the snow on the hedges and the cars have wet roofs with no snow! Aaaaaaarrrrgghhh!!

Is this the start of the end?

Can now only keep fingers crossed there is still some sort of cover left by the time thenext lot arrives overnight tonight, but at this rate there won't be.

Karl

Posted

Morning all,

Yep, we're starting a thaw today aswell in Teesdale (I'm in the mid Dales) I went to bed last night at 11pm and it was -2.3c and when husband came back from work at 2.30am it was +1c. For the first time in ages the road is snow free.

I'm 37 miles in land and 283m asl, so not sure what has happened. I can only presume that the cloud cover has raised the temps? If anyone could explain I would be grateful!

Not hopefull at all for the heavy snow that is meant to be coming tonight into tomorrow but we'll see :(

Temp here now is +0.5c

Tammy