Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

I am in Jarrow and last night there was a very rapid thaw. I think all the dripping made me have a nightmare. I dreamt that I woke up at home in Stanley and there wasn't a bit of snow anywhere, I was gutted.

Anyone know how bad the thaw was in Stanley and Consett? Also what effect has it had on the icicles? Mine were growing nicely.

Tonight not looking so good to me anymore, the last couple of GFS runs seem to have reduced the PPN and kept it a little further south. Also dewpoints look about 1C at the coast, maybe 0C inland. Temps look like 1-3C for most. GFS puts the snow level at 200-250m so even Stanley might not be safe.

Hope I haven't dampened spirits too much and I hope I'm wrong, but I think many of us, especially low areas have already seen their deepest snow from this cold spell. Really hope I'm wrong though for all of us.

Great photos Hagler, where were they taken? I was going to go to Waskerley yesterday but I think the roads would still be dodgy up there.

Posted

Great photos Hagler, where were they taken? I was going to go to Waskerley yesterday but I think the roads would still be dodgy up there.

Just past Edmunbyers looking down onto the Derwent, Pow Hill, and then just past Blanchland, I tried to head towards Stanhope after that but that pictures of the drifts were on the road up there so I turned around as it was impassible. There must be 3ft of snow up on the tops.

Posted

The snow has diminished here as well with the temperature at 9am being 2c,however looking on the brighter side with winds continuing in the east or south east there is always a chance of colder air infiltrating back westwards at some point (I don't know when) and giving us more snow and frosts so courage everyone at least we do not have mild south westerlies destroying our snow cover rapidly.

Posted

Tbh, i thought in previous days that Saturday was going to be our last snow and that has not changed. Obviously BBC forecasts yesterday give some hope but even then it looked marginal.

Must admit though, the thaw is setting in quicker than i thought it would, still got quite a covering but it is depressing seeing it melting whilst you know other parts of the country have got there snow cover's in tact. I guess that what living close to the North Sea does when the air gets less cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

OMG what has happenned 2inches at least has thawed here and temp is 4.5C wtf!!!! Not happy at all is this band of precipatation coming in tonight going to be snow or rain>?

Posted
<br />OMG what has happenned 2inches at least has thawed here and temp is 4.5C wtf!!!! Not happy at all is this band of precipatation coming in tonight going to be snow or rain>?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

morning guys, yep unreal thaw going on here, wont be nothing left by the end of tomorow if this keeps up, dissapointing I must admit, there was no big freeze after the snow events to keep it going for the week, so far that reason this spell for me does not beat the event of 1992!!!

Posted

<br /><br /><br />

morning guys, yep unreal thaw going on here, wont be nothing left by the end of tomorow if this keeps up, dissapointing I must admit, there was no big freeze after the snow events to keep it going for the week, so far that reason this spell for me does not beat the event of 1992!!!

Well most the snow of roofs has gone now and paths are getting cleared so im very very dissappointed only good news is that temp seems to have maxed out hopefull it got to 4.5C at 10:40 now 4.4C at 10:51

Posted

I think its the strength of the wind which is causing the faster thaw,when it dies down we will see some frost returning but nothing like the low temps we have seen of late.

Posted

I'm glad its warming up and melting, the roads are awful and i'm driving to Portsmouth tonight!! Its too cold, roll on the summer, i'm bored of the snow!!

Posted

whats everyone's temperature at?

3 degrees here

What weather station do yu use?

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

<br /><br /><br />

here have a look at this site, updates every hour.

http://uk.weather.co...brough-UKXX0093

That says 4C

Posted

Morning everyone, will open a new thread shortly smile.gif

No point the snow is melting and so is my heart (N) hopefully it can snow tonight! and bring some of the accumalations bk

Posted

http://www.meteox.nl/gmap.aspx?soort=loop3uur&zoom=6&lat=52.908902047770255&lon=-1.845703125

I'm not from your area but i think you should keep am eye on the north sea there some they nasty looking showers at the moment heading for the north east coast