Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

reef

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Snowing again in Sooth Shields and surface winds are still coming from WSW champion for my location and temps -2.7°C... and on that note i'm off to bed, G'nite all...

Posted

This is the most snow I've seen here since the beginning of the decade.

Oh, and one of the MASSIVE icicles hanging outside my bedroom window fell along with a big chunk of ice and almost killed my nextdoor neighbor in her garden.

Edited by PersianPaladin

Posted

This is the most snow I've seen here since the beginning of the decade.

Oh, and one of the MASSIVE icicles hanging outside my bedroom window fell along with a big chunk of ice and almost killed my nextdoor neighbor in her garden.

Good Morning PP and a happy new year, we are now under about 14" of level snow and whilst I have seen it deeper drift wise I cannot remember such a level depth, we too have huge icicles and I reckon it will take some thaw to shift this lot.

Posted

Showers generating and peppering the sea to the East. These should start moving over T and W shortly, could give some places a few morer cms during the day.

Karl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

That shower activity has been a little disappointing so far here, the best showers are to the north of us. There's still some light ones heading this way so hopefully they will intensify.

Still plenty of potential for tomorrow and overnight into Monday looking at the GFS charts.

Looks like on Tuesday we could have a front coming up from the south west reaching us early Wednesday, which brings the threat of snow but also slightly milder air. Almost all levels would probably still get snow though as it doesn't really shift the cold air. This is the type of thing that could give us a really impressive top up so worth keeping an eye on the charts and forecasts.

Posted

I have a question. In this type of set up could we get troughs/unstability setting up in the airflow across the N Sea? I think atm the flow is probably a little slack but will the chance increase as the wind increases tomorrow and going forward?

Thanks,

Karl

Posted

I have a question. In this type of set up could we get troughs/unstability setting up in the airflow across the N Sea? I think atm the flow is probably a little slack but will the chance increase as the wind increases tomorrow and going forward?

Thanks,

Karl

Looks that way on the GFS charts but the Met Office are not predicting much tomorrow.

Here's some of the better PPN charts, tomorrow evening looks interesting...

post-3392-12630281165242_thumb.pngpost-3392-12630281241442_thumb.pngpost-3392-12630281387042_thumb.png

And here's Wednesdays front which could be interesting...

post-3392-12630281499942_thumb.png

Hopefully someone a bit more knowledgeable might know better, but to me this is far from over :cold:

Posted

Looks that way on the GFS charts but the Met Office are not predicting much tomorrow.

Here's some of the better PPN charts, tomorrow evening looks interesting...

post-3392-12630281165242_thumb.pngpost-3392-12630281241442_thumb.pngpost-3392-12630281387042_thumb.png

And here's Wednesdays front which could be interesting...

post-3392-12630281499942_thumb.png

Hopefully someone a bit more knowledgeable might know better, but to me this is far from over :cold:

Yes, mid-week does look good, it would be great to feel the effects of the front and receive a good old fashioned dumping, and then hopefully see the front pull back South keeping us in the freezer !Of course by then we'll have no grit left so won't be able to get to work anyway lol.

Posted

What a memoarable cold spell. We didn't get anymore snow after I went to bed at 3am but certainly the evening provided decent snow.

Currently -3.1º, partly cloudy and 24cm average snow depth.

Posted

Showers building out to the east now. Looks like Sunderland first in the firing line, followed by Durham, with Newcastle bringing up the rear. Pribably continue building through the day, this evening could be nice and snowy for all.

Karl

Posted

Oh yes please, lets get to the magic foot of snow.

PT, I'm chasing that too, only 1" short atm. Should be plenty over the next few days eh?

If that low wanders far enough North next week we could make 2 feet. What happens then with no grit? What a winter, if anybody had mentioned getting 2 feet or even 1 foot of lying snow anytime since the internet revolution, before now, they would have been ridiculed, but now we can talk about it in reality. We'll never forget this winter eh?

I will guess that you will start with showers by 2pm, growing through the evening, giving you another 3-4" overnight!

Karl

Posted

MetO have taken away the NE potential for heavy snow today, just an advisory for icy roads/pavements....never..!!, ....so expect heavy snow later...:o

Had further heavy showers last night adding several more cm's....

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ne/ne_forecast_warnings.html

Edited by NL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

PT, I'm chasing that too, only 1" short atm. Should be plenty over the next few days eh?

If that low wanders far enough North next week we could make 2 feet. What happens then with no grit? What a winter, if anybody had mentioned getting 2 feet or even 1 foot of lying snow anytime since the internet revolution, before now, they would have been ridiculed, but now we can talk about it in reality. We'll never forget this winter eh?

I will guess that you will start with showers by 2pm, growing through the evening, giving you another 3-4" overnight!

Karl

Look at my ameatuer forcast it has been quite accurate imo

Posted

Go and measure the snow in your garden young un (don't cheat), we're interested to see how much you've got now after complaining about having none the other day. :blink:

Posted

MetO have taken away the NE potential for heavy snow today, just an advisory for icy roads/pavements....never..!!, ....so expect heavy snow later...:blink:

Had further heavy showers last night adding several more cm's....

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ne/ne_forecast_warnings.html

Has the warning not just simply expired and will be updated with a new warning very soon?

Radar does not suggest any warnings are needed atm. Its ashame the showers are the intensity that they are because there are loads around but this what happens when instability is not all that great and being fairly close to the centre of the high pressure cell.

Did have one very brief light snow shower here but thats about it.

Posted

Ranges from 10-20cm and snowing again

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

Karl

I wonder where John Snow went? He was banging on about a foot of snow a while back, maybe he wasn't so deluded!

Then again if he'd been on here lately he'd probably predict a meter of snow.

Got a shower moving in here now, I'm just happy for the sun to go in for a little to stop the icicles dripping. I guess that's part of the process of making them bigger though.

Posted

Heavy snow here :drinks: Big flakes! :lol:

Posted

Morning all,got an extra 2 inches of snow this morning which is more than i thought i would get as the snow was very light when i went to sleep last night,must have got a couple of heavier showers.

Its good to see pretty much the whole region has got some decent snow now.

No sign of a proper breakdown in this cold spell,it may become slightly less cold with time but any thaw will be a slow process.

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted

Has the warning not just simply expired and will be updated with a new warning very soon?

Radar does not suggest any warnings are needed atm. Its ashame the showers are the intensity that they are because there are loads around but this what happens when instability is not all that great and being fairly close to the centre of the high pressure cell.

Did have one very brief light snow shower here but thats about it.

See what you mean GS.. Just that at 9 this morning the advisory for heavy snow was there but has now been taken down your probably right and they're jusy updating...

On Atlantic Flamethrowers signature he has a link where Andrew Neil interviews John Hirst head of the MetO and asks him how and why the meto got the forecast so wrong in predicting a 'mild' winter. Well worth a watch..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/the_daily_politics/8443687.stm

Posted

Heavy snow now moving in here in stocton on tees after the wind picked up five minutes ago as you would imagine the wind has sruggled to bring these showers onshore but now we do have a breeze and presto the showers arriv further heavy falls cannot be ruled out certainly for north yorkshire in my neck of the woods will keep you updated on wether this snow persists here !!!!!!!