Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North East England Cold Spell Dicussion

reef

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

Hi MCT, I'm going to sound greedy here but anymore spells due tonight for Teesside tonight? :drinks:

After this clears the showers in the North Sea long right on target to move into the North East later. They are way too far out to say for certain, they could fizzle out but I have a good feeling many of us will get some heavy showers later in the night and early tomorrow.

This lot is still intensifying a little on it's back edge, looks like at least another hour of snowfall before it clears, it may clear from Teesside a little sooner.

Posted

nice to see ya cheering up GS :drinks:

Yep, certainly more happy its starting to deliver and infact much better than i thought. even better than i thought last night.

I don't want to be seen as a moaner, i just did not like that potentially our last day or two of snow from this cold spell will end in dissapointment. If we were just started to head into a cold spell, i would be less fussed about the snow missing us earlier on.

I suppose the only one thing that could be improved on is the size of these flakes, they are awfully small most of the time so lets hope those showers do hit us as you are guranteed larger flakes. :D

Posted

If they are for the Vectra they will probably be 195/65/15's I have a few part worn snow tyres in that size, they are not brilliant but will be a lot better than what is on.

That's the fellas Keith.

Posted

The snow has gone mainly light again, so far tonight 6cm fresh has fallen, and the average snow depth is 22cm.

The temperature is -2.4ºC and steady, to see snow falling at a temperature that low (and even lower last night) is unusual, and I note the air pressure is 1030mb. That air pressure will be stored in the memory banks for the next time somebody says that high pressure will kill convection off and that precipitation will be light at best.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I've got to say i,ve been around a while in the toon (43 years shhhhh!) but this is one of the best cold spells I can remember, definitely been better ones, but i,m talking 20 years ago nowrolleyes.gif

This is the deepest snow i can remember bar 1991 (14 inches). There were a few falls in the 80's to beat the 8" I have now.

What we still have not had is a proper blizzard. I have some pictures of me in 1979 sledging on snow drifts down my road and i intend to post them up soon. There was only 4 inches of snow fell then, but the winds were brutal and blocked most minor roads on the east coast. many areas had no snow on them as it was simply blown away.

My expectations are so high now that this is what I want next!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

TWS

How much longer do you thinnk this will last for the Newcastle area. It just seems to be backing up and i would now class this as heavy snow. this is turning into a classic

The end is approaching but probably still a good hour away at least, and it is likely to turn heavier before it finally clears, judging by the radar. Then cold and clear for a while, but as the easterly picks up during the early hours of the morning it will most likely bring some snow showers in off the North Sea. Temperatures will rise to around freezing near the east coast as the wind picks up, but with 850hPa values below -10C, I don't expect coastal areas to turn marginal- perhaps the snow from subsequent turning a bit less powdery there but that's all.

Sunday, to me, still looks marginal at best near the east coast, and I am expecting wet snow and a slow thaw for places like South Shields and Sunderland. (Note that as the snow is so deep, and temperatures are only expected to reach 2 or 3C at the coast next week, there should still be a significant snow cover towards the end of next week despite the thaw!). Further inland, say at Durham, or the suburbs of the Newcastle area, there should be little or no thaw, maybe even a small topup of the existing snow cover, and there may well be no thaw at all next week.

The snow down here in Norwich is also very dry and powdery. Some of the "snowball fights" I've been involved in today have been more like exchanges of powder showers!

Posted

This is the deepest snow i can remember bar 1991 (14 inches). There were a few falls in the 80's to beat the 8" I have now.

What we still have not had is a proper blizzard. I have some pictures of me in 1979 sledging on snow drifts down my road and i intend to post them up soon. There was only 4 inches of snow fell then, but the winds were brutal and blocked most minor roads on the east coast. many areas had no snow on them as it was simply blown away.

My expectations are so high now that this is what I want next!!!!

What bare ground because the snow has blown into 10ft drifts? Give me 1ft of level preferably wet snow any day of the week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

The end is approaching but probably still a good hour away at least, and it is likely to turn heavier before it finally clears, judging by the radar. Then cold and clear for a while, but as the easterly picks up during the early hours of the morning it will most likely bring some snow showers in off the North Sea. Temperatures will rise to around freezing near the east coast as the wind picks up, but with 850hPa values below -10C, I don't expect coastal areas to turn marginal- perhaps the snow from subsequent turning a bit less powdery there but that's all.

Sunday, to me, still looks marginal at best near the east coast, and I am expecting wet snow and a slow thaw for places like South Shields and Sunderland. (Note that as the snow is so deep, and temperatures are only expected to reach 2 or 3C at the coast next week, there should still be a significant snow cover towards the end of next week despite the thaw!). Further inland, say at Durham, or the suburbs of the Newcastle area, there should be little or no thaw, maybe even a small topup of the existing snow cover, and there may well be no thaw at all next week.

The snow down here in Norwich is also very dry and powdery. Some of the "snowball fights" I've been involved in today have been more like exchanges of powder showers!

How about teeside?

Posted

After this clears the showers in the North Sea long right on target to move into the North East later. They are way too far out to say for certain, they could fizzle out but I have a good feeling many of us will get some heavy showers later in the night and early tomorrow.

This lot is still intensifying a little on it's back edge, looks like at least another hour of snowfall before it clears, it may clear from Teesside a little sooner.

cheers MCT, I can confirm its still snowing here, lighter than it was but its been snowing for 6 hours now.

Posted

That bank developing to the east is definitely looking stronger.

Edited by davyf

Posted

What bare ground because the snow has blown into 10ft drifts? Give me 1ft of level preferably wet snow any day of the week.

was watching look north tonight they reckon, monday top temp will be 3 degrees along with Tuesday except as Tuesday moves on drifting snow with strong winds will blow in and continue into wednesday, may not be over for a while yet?

Posted

Showers out to sea becoming more organised.

Still moderate snow here. The flake concentration is good, just the size is too small.

Posted

been surreal recently at work and home as everybody seems to be bringing back memories of childhood experiences many moons ago about snow/cold events they can remember, doesn't normally happen, still moderate snow in byker, I was wondering what the strange dripping noise in the back garden was last night, it was the formation of 24" long icicles! from the roof( probably caused by s**t loft insulation coz the heating was on all day)

Posted

was watching look north tonight they reckon, monday top temp will be 3 degrees along with Tuesday except as Tuesday moves on drifting snow with strong winds will blow in and continue into wednesday, may not be over for a while yet?

there's talk of a LESS COLD period for the sw come next weekend.as if that will have any effect on us up here lol.

Posted

3 degrees will be on the coast and there will be no drifting at those temperatures. They will mean high gound inland and this could prety nasty for those areas if it does.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

My assessment for Teeside is the same as for Tyne & Wear/Durham regarding proximity to the coast.

The snow has gone mainly light again, so far tonight 6cm fresh has fallen, and the average snow depth is 22cm.

The temperature is -2.4ºC and steady, to see snow falling at a temperature that low (and even lower last night) is unusual, and I note the air pressure is 1030mb. That air pressure will be stored in the memory banks for the next time somebody says that high pressure will kill convection off and that precipitation will be light at best.

Any trawl through the archives will confirm that the "1030mb kills convection" is too simplistic as high pressure can be overcome by a sufficiently sharp gradient between cold air and warm sea and an onshore wind- even a very light one like today.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/1987/Rrea00119870112.gif

High pressure almost on top of the North East and 1035mb pressure- yet frequent heavy snow showers affected the area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

My assessment for Teeside is the same as for Tyne & Wear/Durham regarding proximity to the coast.

Any trawl through the archives will confirm that the "1030mb kills convection" is too simplistic as high pressure can be overcome by a sufficiently sharp gradient between cold air and warm sea and an onshore wind- even a very light one like today.

http://www.wetterzen...00119870112.gif

High pressure almost on top of the North East and 1035mb pressure- yet frequent heavy snow showers affected the area.

Wow little or no melt and more snow :wallbash: this is the most snow ive seen in my life and still snowing this is the best snow in my life im oh so happy :wallbash: