Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish Cold Spell Discussion 18:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Loving the vaiety

still raining quite heavily still here in garelochhead... every now and then u see the odd flake zip by the lamppost but i think thats just to wind me up! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Its very fine feather light soft drizzle here.

Its bloomin cold, just been out chasing a little idiot who threw a snowball at my daughters bedroom window! shes bloomin terrified now!! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

No sleet lol. Snizzle is the very fine snow flakes that are definitely snow but totally ineffective at lying.

Ok, averaged out we are talking sleet as mostly unfrozen. But the snow component was not particularly wet snow and had large, defined flakes. These were floating down between a haze of very fine rain drizzle. Like a shower of drizzle had crashed into a shower of moderate snow...

Strange.....but true

First time I've seen that anyway. pardon.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Looks like it's turning now, with temperatures a bit better at 3.1C. Hopefully we can maybe get some clear spells overnight and get what's left of the snow frozen over. Very heavy now though. Looks like tomorrow afternoon has a bit more snow potential, even if it doesn't lie it's nice to see it falling. A good set of model outputs though, with plenty of scope for a cold reload, and a very exciting storm on Friday night to come (though I suspect this will totally get rid of snow cover!):

this is a chart for you cookie!

ukwind.png

Who would've thought that this chart would bring a big thaw? http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100111/12/00/h500slp.png

LS

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Pouring here. Temp. 2.7C DP 1.3C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Fairly moderate snow here, finally starting to stick on the cars outside. Now that I have typed this it will stop dead laugh.gif

Enjoy! Looks like the last of this awful rain passing here, maybe a bit of a clear spell as well and temperatures getting back down to something a bit less damaging to snowcover. I think the fat lady may well be singing in this area for the cold spell, though that doesn't mean it won't come back next week - we all remember the third of February last year, the 25th February 2005 (maybe that was just me!), the days before the 12th March 2006 etc, so I doubt this thread will be gone for too long if at all (considering highland Scotland are still looking at the continuation of snow and cold). It's been a great winter so far, and a great pleasure to spend it will all of you, from the first days in mid-December with the badly forecast (by the met) easterly to the badly forecast (by the met) big snowfall on the 23rd of December across east central (22nd for those further southwest and Aberdeen) and the various other minor snow events, thaws, heavy frosts and general cold.

I hope we can keep a Scottish thread of sorts going through the winter as it's easy to get lost in the model thread with so many people posting!

Enjoy the Bonspiel rebellious curlers and don't fall in!

Night

LS

http://news.bbc.co.u.../uk/8452701.stm

Villiers. She Ronald's missus?

whistling.gif

Haha. Anyone noticed the child-scaring maniac on the forum?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yceg4aJDK1Y&feature=related

laugh.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Just had a major avalanche off our roof to scare the life out me as I was getting the wood in.

Radar showed rain or something here on and off this evening but no ppn at all. Temp currently at 3.6C, been around that for about 18 hours. No sun today.

Posted

Amazing thaw here in Dundee over the last 24hrs. I thought it would have taken weeks to shift all the snow and ice, if it continues like this overnight, Dundee will be snow free by 8 tomorrow morning

Currently p*ssing doon

Posted

2c here now this morning and a steady drip. Massive snow slides off the house roof at 5.30 am woke me up. Its going to be a messy thaw and one which will reveal quite a lot of damage underneath possibly,some of the new varities of winter cereals in the fields have never been tested under such prolonged snow cover.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Unofficial Grand Match at the Lake of Menteith today is OFF.

Too much surface water and ice unsafe due to the thaw.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=268365730228

Ach well, cannot change the weather. :shok:

Hopefully, we'll get another shot at it before 2041.

Edited by Polar Gael

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: A foggy and frosty morning with newly fallen pristine snow - Paradise!

Raining here. Temp +2.9C DP +2.0C. Amazingly rapid thaw - there will be little left here by the end of today if this continues!

Posted

We are basically green this morning cray.gif

Just to say the cold spell and thread have been great fun. clap.gifclap.gif

Will the thread continue through the winter now or close till return of very cold weather?

CMD; did you get much of a fall last night??

Posted

A9 blocked at Drumochter, due to an avalanche! :drinks:

Don"t think I have seen this happen before, going to make a hole in someones budget if they have to build avalanche tunnels now. Temperature fell back to 0c as daylight came in with surfaces very icy and it is now getting very difficult to walk anywhere.

Posted

2c here now this morning and a steady drip. Massive snow slides off the house roof at 5.30 am woke me up. Its going to be a messy thaw and one which will reveal quite a lot of damage underneath possibly,some of the new varities of winter cereals in the fields have never been tested under such prolonged snow cover.

Must be a real worry for the farmers at this time. Snow cover is one thing......but the addition of ice is the real problem.

+1.5C here and the slow thaw continues.

Edited by Gilly

CMD; did you get much of a fall last night??

Nothing on cars, trees, etc. However, there is a covering of semi-melted snow on top of the ice pack. So in some respects we have gained something although there is a very slight thaw on. Not nearly as fast as it sounds it is thawing in other places though.

Posted

Very Steady drip drip keeping up here too.. temp currently +3.4C up from a low of +2.5 overnight.

btw.. Happy Birthday Pete!

post-4683-12632892852728_thumb.jpg