Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Been a sleety / light snow mix here for about 2hrs now. Temperature dropping slowly at 2.5c and a dewpoint of 0.7c. In desperate need of a drop in both dewpoint and temperature along with some heavier precipitation but I just carnt see it happening tonight to be honest. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Radar still showing snow ...but nothing reaching the ground...temp 1c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Now snowing moderatly!

Posted

Radar still showing snow ...but nothing reaching the ground...temp 1c

just been watching the road road near Buxton on BBC news 24. I think places such as Buxton and places with height will not lose this cold spell at all this week, I remember another occasion like this a few years ago when the peak district has a month of snowfall and the cheshire plain etc has drizzle and cold damp weather. I wish I could remember the year. Think it started with a NE blast and temps over cheshire were 4C whilst just up the hill they were below 0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Sleet here ...bye bye snow cover :D i fully expect to wake up and see my green grass for the first the time in a week tomorrow :D

Posted

Hi,

Could we expect to see a classic breakdown type event this week along similar lines to February 1996? I have read some posts claiming that some of next weeks charts (I think UKMO) show a similar situation to what happened then? I have read some posts on here suggesting that we could experience an even bigger snowfall than we have currently had this week, I think on Tuesday on Wednesday from a low pressure system from the South West? Yes, I know it may be marginal but somebody said that the March 2006 event was even more marginal than many of the so called marginal events that we had in this spell? And was it true that for the 1996 event wasn't this forecast to be rain initially with the mild air winning but the forecast was changed at short notice to heavy snow from the stalling front? So is such an event still a possibility in the coming week then?

Luke

Posted

Light rain now here Burnley,looks like a thaw too,snow cover slowly evaporating!!

Snow can't evaporate at night :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

light snow/graupel here temp 1.5c DP -1c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Hi,

Could we expect to see a classic breakdown type event this week along similar lines to February 1996? I have read some posts claiming that some of next weeks charts (I think UKMO) show a similar situation to what happened then? I have read some posts on here suggesting that we could experience an even bigger snowfall than we have currently had this week, I think on Tuesday on Wednesday from a low pressure system from the South West? Yes, I know it may be marginal but somebody said that the March 2006 event was even more marginal than many of the so called marginal events that we had in this spell? And was it true that for the 1996 event wasn't this forecast to be rain initially with the mild air winning but the forecast was changed at short notice to heavy snow from the stalling front? So is such an event still a possibility in the coming week then?

Luke

I would say about a 20% chance

but what do i know LOLdry.gif

C.S

Posted

Moderate wet snow still. Back up to 1.0c after dropping to 0.8c.

Posted

BBC are now saying 5c on friday with heavy rain. Byebye cold :rolleyes:

While we are entering into a mildish spell I can't see temps getting to those levels and certainly not come friday. The ECM 12Z continues to suggest blocking from Thursday, but it looks a weak affair if you ask me, it will last until Friday but then it goes kind of pear shaped. I think we need to worry about the immediate future at the moment rather than medium term..think of it this way, the charts are struggling every single run at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Hi,

And was it true that for the 1996 event wasn't this forecast to be rain initially with the mild air winning but the forecast was changed at short notice to heavy snow from the stalling front? So is such an event still a possibility in the coming week then?

Luke

Yes it was Luke, and I don't want to get my hopes up, but if the timing and placement is right, you never know.

btw, found this video as a reminder of what happened in Blackpool then! You just never know...

Posted

The similarities between 1st February 1947 and now are uncanny.

Looking back at that year, a run of sub-zero CET days began on 24th January and ended on 2nd February (CET -2.08C). Then 5th-26th February averaged -2.46C. None of this of course means the next February 1947 is just commencing, and the 3rd and 4th of February weren't much above zero (both 0.7C), but it's interesting nevertheless.

Posted

The final batch of sleety/snow mix is gathering in the east now, I expect it to push into these parts in the next few hours. All very wet looking though, even though it looks quite impressive when it's whipped on by the wind, I don't think it will cause too many problems. There's nothing much after that coming in off the North Sea.

Edited by dodgeredee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!!!

:wacko: drizzly air really here - a few tiny wet specks on the window, and a definite thaw going on in my gardens now... Can't really see the next one being anything more than cold and wet, not down here anyway. Hopeful but not expecting more snow now. Not til feb anyway.

It was absolutely stunning while it lasted and the memories of this will stay for a very long time with us. Breathtaking stuff. Fabulous to read all your posts here too; learning loads along the way, I've spoken to a fair few folk here in M21 who have lived here for decades and dont recall it ever being like this...even the lady, now in her eighties, who was born in her house. Amazing.

Posted

light snow/graupel here temp 1.5c DP -1c

Where abouts are you?

We have had nothing here, just a very gusty east wind and threatening looking cloud. It seems that the Pennines are a major block preventing any precipitation getting this way, we may get a brief flurry of the stuff before the night is out, but this 'event' is looking like a no show event for here.

Posted

Hi,

What can we expect for tomorrow weatherwise is the sky going to clear to allow what we have on the ground to refreeze and will it be a clear day or a cloudy day with snow showers around for tomorrow? Also I have noticed that today some people on this forum have been acting as if the cold spell is over and the breakdown has arrived that is odd as I though the breakdown was not due to come until around the end of next week at the earliest I wonder why this is it is still cold and expected to say cold until at least Friday, and the latest GFS suggest that ice days are still likely for some this week is that true?

Luke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Where abouts are you?

We have had nothing here, just a very gusty east wind and threatening looking cloud. It seems that the Pennines are a major block preventing any precipitation getting this way, we may get a brief flurry of the stuff before the night is out, but this 'event' is looking like a no show event for here.

high harrington, light showery bursts graupel and the odd larger snow flake not amounting to anything, temp 1.3c DP -1c

the hills are creating a barrier if you look at the radar the ppn is missing over the central lakes and re-intensifies over the coast and sea.