Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Morning all,

I'll repost this:

2.0c, sky looking very snowy.

For those of you worrying about the temps - Don't: Here's why:

1) The dewpoints are below freezing everywhere in the Northwest by at least -3c.

2) The temperature is expected to drop sharply before the front arrives.

3) For those of you worrying about snowmelt today - The only snowmelt will be on roofs due the the ground and grass temperature being below -10c atm.

Posted

Morning all,

I'll repost this:

1) The dewpoints are below freezing everywhere in the Northwest by at least -3c.

No they're not - around many parts of Cumbria, they're just barley below freezing.

Posted

Blimey-the North sea must have warmed that air up. North Sea temp is 8C today (it was 10c last week!)http://www.seafordweather.co.uk/wl/UKSeaTemp.htm Looks like there is another wadge of cloud heading across the southern North sea towards us.

Edited by martinj2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow!!!

:D

I take all I've said back...lol it's snowing lightly here now

delightfully stunned and clearly needing to just shut up now ha ha!

Posted

Morning all,

I'll repost this:

3) For those of you worrying about snowmelt today - The only snowmelt will be on roofs due the the ground and grass temperature being below -10c atm.

Current temp here is 3.1c dewpoint of -1.3c, I highly doubt the grass and ground temp is below -10c although I havent measured it :D

Although my temperature is not conductive for snow I am expecting anything to fall to be snow as that nice dry continental air is keeping dewpionts low and the temperature will drop under any ppn.

Edited by SnowKidding

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Morning all,

I'll repost this:

No one has been worrying except you :D I'm not particularly bothered whether it rains or snows anyway, a bit of thaw of the ice can only be a good thing

Posted

Snow's starting to become patchy on the paths and grass now; we originally had an inch and a half and you can now see the grass underneath the snow, and there is a definite melt on the pavement.

Temp +2

DP -2

Edited by Louise

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

Latest net-w radar shows all snow now, as compared to rain/sleet/snow an hour ago (could be a blip of course, but mayne things are looking up)

post-509-12631248292242_thumb.png

post-509-12631248466442_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

check to met o warnings for the east never seen them put this up.

major back track here

THE EARLY WARNING HAS BEEN CANCELLED. DISRUPTIVE SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ARE NOW LESS LIKELY.

There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of Wales, Northeast and Southeast England. Outbreaks of snow may give accumulations of 1 to 2cm at low levels, but snow may become heavy and persistent at times over higher ground with 3 to 8cm on east-facing slopes and up to 15cm over the highest peaks of the Pennines and Welsh Mountains.

Strong winds may cause drifting of snow in places.

Issued at: 1125 Sun 10 Jan

Posted

whistling.gif

I take all I've said back...lol it's snowing lightly here now

delightfully stunned and clearly needing to just shut up now ha ha!

Well that must be very localised because Im also in chorlton and its not snowing here !

Posted

Well that must be very localised because Im also in chorlton and its not snowing here !

just a few flakes - landed on me as I was collecting the eggs...

I'm up by the cemetery...where are you?

Edited by fluffytrollop

Posted

The North Sea has had a major effect on the temps today, modifying the continental air substantially, and the 528 dam thicknesses have dissapeared.

Dew points still look fairly conducive for any precipitation in the coming days to be of the snow variety, and we will loose the direct NE fetch of air to a more E/SE which will help decrease modification I feel in this region. However, away from the hills I'm expecting perhaps a couple of cms at best overnight and probably just intermittent light flurries or showers tomorrow, no major accumulation.

Wednesday still looks the best bet for widespread snowfall, but the models seem to suggest that any precipitation will be light and may not even get to these parts. A rather dull cloudy chilly week looks on offer, a damp squib compared to the week just gone, but there is still a very strong chance that those heights to the E will advect west by the end of the week, we need the PV to play ball, we have lost heights over Greenland, which is what you really want to see for sustained cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

just began snowing in Bacup

only a few flakes but it's a start

temperature is now at +1c but very much tempered by the biting wind which, when i went for a walk and paper this morning was starting to blow the snow off the fields and back on to the roads.

that said though, the wind seems to have dropped a little now.

Ian

Posted

A slow thaw in Manchester city centre! Rther surprised by it really, as yesterday's bbc forecast had us with a 0c maximum.

Anyway, light snow is now falling. All eyes on Lincolnshire, were more precipitation is coming.

Karyo

Posted

IVF...in this weather?

LOL crazy boy...hens! ... they still lay in this weather - they are ISA bantams, bred by Merck in the 70's for the battery farm industry. Really are the martini girls - any time, any place, anywhere...one of them just bends over and out pops another one...a 'normal' bird would have stopped laying in the autumn.

OOhh, just looked out and a lovely ominously heavy cloud is looming towards us...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Yes can just about see the very light flurries over Manc on the radar.

Posted

The North Sea has had a major effect on the temps today, modifying the continental air substantially, and the 528 dam thicknesses have dissapeared.

Dew points still look fairly conducive for any precipitation in the coming days to be of the snow variety, and we will loose the direct NE fetch of air to a more E/SE which will help decrease modification I feel in this region. However, away from the hills I'm expecting perhaps a couple of cms at best overnight and probably just intermittent light flurries or showers tomorrow, no major accumulation.

Wednesday still looks the best bet for widespread snowfall, but the models seem to suggest that any precipitation will be light and may not even get to these parts. A rather dull cloudy chilly week looks on offer, a damp squib compared to the week just gone, but there is still a very strong chance that those heights to the E will advect west by the end of the week, we need the PV to play ball, we have lost heights over Greenland, which is what you really want to see for sustained cold.

Nice summary. Looks like the continental freeze block is facing it's first real test of the last few weeks, as the Atlantic tries to push it's murk and mild from the West. Hope we get a reload at some point from the East.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Snowing VERY lightly here.