Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Strange thing is, the snowfall charts on WO are showing snow for almost all of the region for most of the next 18-24hrs, which for here at least is an upgrade on last nights output. I am now more than confused, sitting here looking at an outside temp of 3.4c.

add link Projected snow

I wouldn't build your hopes up for much snow, until later in the week. I still think that come Thursday, that weather front coming up from the SW, will be further North than is being shown now!

Posted

Light flurries here, just blowing in the wind, not amounting to anything, I reckon something more substantial possibly later on :rofl:

Posted

Temperature should retreat back to 0c here before the band arrives. It's gonna max out soon. 2.1c with a slow thaw.

Wind is NE

I honestly don't think we'll have to much of an issue south of the region, all dewpoints appear to be well below freezing. Temps should sink during this evening especially so as we encounter e/se winds. Knowing our luck though we'll end up in light rain for the duration lol

Strange thing is, the snowfall charts on WO are showing snow for almost all of the region for most of the next 18-24hrs, which for here at least is an upgrade on last nights output. I am now more than confused, sitting here looking at an outside temp of 3.4c.

add link Projected snow

Snow acc Snow accu

Temps are being slightly modified by the North Sea with a NE airflow which is allowing those temps to rise, however later this evening the winds will swing to a much colder airflow and hopefully we'll see some snow..everywhere in Liverpool, Wirral and east cheshire is primed and ready for any snow no matter how light :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

I honestly don't think we'll have to much of an issue south of the region, all dewpoints appear to be well below freezing. Temps should sink during this evening especially so as we encounter e/se winds. Knowing our luck though we'll end up in light rain for the duration lol

Temps are being slightly modified by the North Sea with a NE airflow which is allowing those temps to rise, however later this evening the winds will swing to a much colder airflow and hopefully we'll see some snow..everywhere in Liverpool, Wirral and east cheshire is primed and ready for any snow no matter how light :)

Still got DP of -2c at Blackpool Airport too. Trying to remain hopeful :p

Posted

On the raintoday radar the only real band of snow i can see is the one just west of wales, will the wind swing round and bring that to us?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Light snow for the past half hour here, seems to be slowly picking up in intensity. A slight thaw, but only slight, the only noticeably thaw is the snow on the ground isn't powdery anymore, melt off the roofs and where the snow has been mostly cleared it is now dry clear ground. Temp currently 0.8°C, thankfully it doesn't seem to want to go any higher so hopefully it will begin to drop off soon.

Edited by James M

Posted

Well, well quite a bit of cloud here now, and a bit of a breeze picking up - with that the temp has fallen back to 2.7c quite a drop in 30/40 mins or so. That d/p from Blackpool airport is encouraging.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snowy. Summer: Warm/gentle breeze. Anytime: thunderstorms/gales.

That d/p from Blackpool airport is encouraging.

Also temp now 2c from 3c and winds n/e rather than n which they were an hour ago.E then s/e next please. This could be good after all.

Edited by snowdrifter

Posted

Light snow here for the past half an hour.

The problem is, even if the temperature drops, there does not seem to be any heavy precipitation on the radar!

Karyo

Posted

Light snow here for the past half an hour.

The problem is, even if the temperature drops, there does not seem to be any heavy precipitation on the radar!

Karyo

I dont think they forcasted anything but light snowfall, drifting being the main part of the warning, maybe we heavy stuff on Monday/wednesday

Posted

Still overcast, a few flakes about an hour ago, temp dropping slightly now at +2, v light breeze. Not much sign of the snow melting on the pavements around here at the moment. sledging has been good though!

Posted

I dont think they forcasted anything but light snowfall, drifting being the main part of the warning, maybe we heavy stuff on Monday/wednesday

Tomorrow, most of the precipitation will be further north according to the bbc24 forecast.

As for Tuesday, Wednesday, it's too early to tell.

Still snowing lightly here and the thaw continuing.

Edit: Monday's warning have been removed for our region! The only warnings remaining are for high ground in Wales and the Pennines.

Karyo

Edited by karyo

i cant see any heavy snow tonight,only this light wet/sleety rubbish snow which just melts the existing layers.

If it was a degree colder we'd be laughing,but it isnt,and im not.

All that said its been a GREAT winter so far and its been nice sharing the fun with you guys.

This week is just going to see a slow thaw,our hope is that the atlantic buggers off and lets the high back in .

Posted

I think its going to be pretty much touch and go..got elevation? you'll get light to moderate snow at times, lower ground? light rain / sleet is now favoured by a lot of people...I kind of agree unless we get some drastic changes in the next couple of hours.

The precip isnt forecast to get into our region until after 6 possibly 9 tonight, baring in mind it will be very light if anything falls at all especially inland at lower elevations.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

i cant see any heavy snow tonight,only this light wet/sleety rubbish snow which just melts the existing layers.

If it was a degree colder we'd be laughing,but it isnt,and im not.

All that said its been a GREAT winter so far and its been nice sharing the fun with you guys.

This week is just going to see a slow thaw,our hope is that the atlantic buggers off and lets the high back in .

This last week has been your username mate - happy days. There's still lots of winter left though, and if someone had offered us the last 3 weeks or so back in October, we'd have snapped their hand off, irrespective of what followed. Time to be grateful folks! :nea:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

This last week has been your username mate - happy days. There's still lots of winter left though, and if someone had offered us the last 3 weeks or so back in October, we'd have snapped their hand off, irrespective of what followed. Time to be grateful folks! :nea:

totally agree!

Been a hell of a cold snap! if we get more! ACE if not it will go down in history!

Edited by crashlanding

Posted

totally agree!

Been a hell of a cold snap! if we get more! ACE if not it will go down in history!

possibly for cold hanging on, but certainly not for snowfall..a couple days out of the whole winter where in some places a foot fell, for me winter is more about snowfall and not how cold it can stay over a period of time. and for me it doesnt come close to 81/82 in my area for snow depths. Still its been a great winter...expect feb to be pretty warm after all this lol

Looks to me like the snow reintensifying over the manchester region, I could be wrong but it looks it to me.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Still snoiwing lightlty here, seems to be a little heavier now, with a distinct easterly breeze too. I'm quite surprised how much 'milder' it is today.

Posted

Still snoiwing lightlty here, seems to be a little heavier now, with a distinct easterly breeze too. I'm quite surprised how much 'milder' it is today.

That's encouraging Daz. Winds def veering more e/s-e now too. Ppn on radar not looking great though.

Posted

Current Temp 0.9C falling very slowly

DP -2.6C slight drop

Wind now SE occassionally VRB

Wind Speed: 3mph

Wind Speed 15min: 1mph

Wind Gust: 5mph

Wind Chill 0.9C

Barometer: 1021.2mb falling (was 1026.3mb)

Conditions: Cloudy with very light flurries from time to time.

Forecast: Remaining cloudy with snow showers later.

Chance for snow 67%

hmmm snowing moderately here now.

radar looks rubbish though,i think.

Its not doing a very good job with low level cloud..I think its better now to use the nw radar..NAE suggest overnight not during today..however that said Manchester is getting light snow especially south of the region for which the NAE is bang on from last night. Fingers crossed.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

temp now 0.9c after a max of 1.3c and slow thaw, partly cloudy skies with moderate breeze from ne.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer - Storms Winter - Blizzards

light snow ehre but lokoing a tad intenser in a few mins over manc. the odd larger flake in there.

If Feb is cooler than average i think we should all be grateful fo a proper winter! knowing our luck it will be trpoical!