Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Starting to get my hopes up a tiny bit because the temperature has dropped to 1.4c and the wind is drying everywhere off.

Posted

Starting to get my hopes up a tiny bit because the temperature has dropped to 1.4c and the wind is drying everywhere off.

I think you may see some showers, these may be of snow. However i think the system will weaken and most of the heavy snow will stay South of Birmingham. i hope im wrong and it does move further North.

Any ideas for Snow here in Macclesfield later tonight?

Can it get as far north as me??

Hi mate same as above, i hope im wrong though.

Edited by Thunder Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

North west weather on in 5 mins see what they say?

C.S

Posted

North west weather on in 5 mins see what they say?

C.S

BBC weather looked promising, but maybe wishful thinking on their part. If our lovely Diana or the other one says snow, ill be a believer. I think the big thaw they keep bleating about is very over rated, its more a slow melt.

John

BBC weather looked promising, but maybe wishful thinking on their part. If our lovely Diana or the other one says snow, ill be a believer. I think the big thaw they keep bleating about is very over rated, its more a slow melt.

John

Diana says snow, so it must be going to be bad :) lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

John

Diana says snow, so it must be going to be bad smile.gif lol

Looked ok to me LOL

Hot Cuppa looks god for you to

C.S

Posted

Our local forecast for my area, said snow for higher routes with a wintry mix to lower ground. Most showers will be light in nature. So they to must be expecting it to weaken as it moves North.

Looking at the bbc forecast, the system just need to move slightly North for the far South of the region to see some snow. However the bbc forecast snow for most of us on Monday and look how that turned out, just dont get your hope up folks. Just wait and see event i think lol .

Edited by Thunder Snow

Posted

Looked ok to me LOL

Hot Cuppa looks god for you to

C.S

Good evening CS I hope your right, this icy slush on the pavements its treacherous under foot. Looking at the lastest radar there hasn't really been much momentum northeastwards to be honest. At least we have the wind in the right direction going for us, coming from the SE from a very cold continent which means hopefully it wont be modified by the north sea.

I am not sure wether to believe this image, earlier around 3 ish it was showing rain over the same spots over deven..its probably moved about 25 miles northeast at max since around 230pm..looks to me to either be stalling or the more likely scenario its fizzing out, its certainly lost quite a bit of intensification as its hit the southern welsh mountains, maybe it will intensify later on.

The wonderful thing is that the temps in the northwest particularly the south of the region are conducive to snow, low dp's and low temps :crazy:

post-8049-12633234447128_thumb.png

Posted

Agreed HotCuppa i think it will continue to fizzle.

Just a quick note, please could you leave a comment about the forecast if you think its good or not so good.

Heavy Snow For A Time

Due to several power cuts through out today, i am unable to update my forecast as much i would like.

An Atlantic system is now moving in from the South-West, bringing heavy rain/strong winds and slightly milder air. However with colder air still sitting across the UK, the rain is turning to snow. Rain and a sleet mix is likely in the far South-West and to the coast. However further inland its Turning to snow with 2-10cm for lower ground (maybe more in favored spots, and 15-25cm over high ground. I still feel that in some places it will be border-line as to who sees snow or rain.

As we move towards evening time the band will slowly move Northwards, however i think it will weaken as it does so. There still will be heavy snow for most of Wales,Southern England away from the coast and maybe Central England for a time. However i feel most of the heavy snow will stay South of Birmingham. With strong winds blizzard conditions are likely. Northern Ireland will see a wintry mix for a time, with snow mostly for higher areas. Ahead of the system showers may develop across Northern England/South East England and perhaps North-Eastern England before dawn. We may see some wintry showers across North Eastern Scotland for a time.

Again even at this close range, its still not yet known how far North this system will get. Also it is not yet know how fast this system will weaken. However it is already showing signs of weaking in places.

Weather warnings have now been adjusted.

Weather Warning: ICE: Where any snow has began to thaw, ice is likely to be a widespread problem as temperatures dip to freezing or just below.

Weather Warning: An Atlantic system has started to move in from the South West, this is now bringing some heavy snow towards the South-West/Most areas of Wales and maybe Central England for a time. Snow is likely to be heavy at times, with falls of 2-10cm across some low lying areas with 10-20cm (25cm locally) across higher routes. Winds are likely to be gusty at times, so blizzards conditions are likely more so over higher routes.

Edited by Thunder Snow

Posted

Agreed HotCuppa i think it will continue to fizzle.

Just a quick note, please could you leave a comment about the forecast if you think its good or not so good.

Heavy Snow For A Time

Due to several power cuts through out today, i am unable to update my forecast as much i would like.

An Atlantic system is now moving in from the South-West, bringing heavy rain/strong winds and slightly milder air. However with colder air still sitting across the UK, the rain is turning to snow. Rain and a sleet mix is likely in the far South-West and to the coast. However further inland its Turning to snow with 2-10cm for lower ground (maybe more in favored spots, and 15-25cm over high ground. I still feel that in some places it will be border-line as to who sees snow or rain.

As we move towards evening time the band will slowly move Northwards, however i think it will weaken as it does so. There still will be heavy snow for most of Wales,Southern England away from the coast and maybe Central England for a time. However i feel most of the heavy snow will stay South of Birmingham. With strong winds blizzard conditions are likely. Northern Ireland will see a wintry mix for a time, with snow mostly for higher areas. Ahead of the system showers may develop across Northern England/South East England and perhaps North-Eastern England before dawn. We may see some wintry showers across North Eastern Scotland for a time.

Again even at this close range, its still not yet known how far North this system will get. Also it is not yet know how fast this system will weaken. However it is already showing signs of weaking in places.

Weather warnings have now been adjusted.

Weather Warning: ICE: Where any snow has began to thaw, ice is likely to be a widespread problem as temperatures dip to freezing or just below.

Weather Warning: An Atlantic system has started to move in from the South West, this is now bringing some heavy snow towards the South-West/Most areas of Wales and maybe Central England for a time. Snow is likely to be heavy at times, with falls of 2-10cm across some low lying areas with 10-20cm (25cm locally) across higher routes. Winds are likely to be gusty at times, so blizzards conditions are likely more so over higher routes.

I left you a comment on your blog for you about 5 mins ago :(

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

I thinks its fair to say, if we are to see anything we'll need to see some major prepping as its headed ne, especially on its western flank. Can't really see the Irish Sea pepping this up much, but hey you never know, we do have other factors in our favour as to whether they can be used as a trump card with this extremely slow moving front (and system) who knows.

I think perhaps around 11pm ish we should be in a better position to know, if it's even moved. To me it just looks likes its stalled over south wales with its leading edge stuck over mid wales.

compare this image to the one above 35 mins ago..virtually no movement at all...although it was expected to be slow moving to begin with.

post-8049-12633255552228_thumb.png

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

The positive thing about the image above is the welsh coasts are getting snow at low levels.

However i know the NW radar is showing snow on the coasts, however im sure it showed the same for me yesturday and i got rain. So i think somtimes the radar is wrong lol.

Posted

Hopefully i get a few CM'S out of this band.

Again mate it just depends how far north it gets, at the moment its moving very slowy and likley to weaken. You may see showers, however will they be of snow.

Edited by Thunder Snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Its been a cold, damp, horrible sort of day in these parts; one which i've spent much of the time outside clearing snow and the crap that it becomes once the temperature reaches the dizzy heights of +1c.

Obviously can't speak for other parts of the region but in Rossendale; certainly Bacup, very little of the snow on the ground has actually melted.

It's still around 10 inches deep in the garden and hard packed over a foot deep on the pavements higher up the hill and we've had what was possibly more light snow late this afternoon.

I say possibly because it could well have been already fallen snow blown off the fields by the gusty winds.

The main road from Bacup to Burnley has actually been closed or barely passable for much of the day because of drifting snow with the Bacup to Todmorden one in a similar difficult state.

I know many comparisons have been made during the last week or so with past winters but in my opinion; the last 3 weeks or so have been probably the worst in these parts since certainly 1982 and probably 1979.

A bold statement and one which i can't back up with evidence but we've had snow on the ground here since 17th December and whilst we had some bigger falls in the early 80's winters, i can't remember snow lying as long as it has now since the winter of 1979.

I do like snow; always have done but i must admit that i'm very quickly getting tired of it now, both phsically and mentally.

I long for the days when you can walk out of the house and get in the car, start it and set off rather than find it, dig it out, hope it starts and then slide of in whichever direction the packed ice takes you.

Roll on spring but if the lovely Diane Oxberry is forecasting more snow for the region tonight then it's looking a long way off.

Ian

Posted

Temp Currently at 2c with a dew of -1c. So i doubt i would see anything wintry, as these are the same temp i had yesturday and i got rain.

So im still thinking very border-line for our area.

Its been a cold, damp, horrible sort of day in these parts; one which i've spent much of the time outside clearing snow and the crap that it becomes once the temperature reaches the dizzy heights of +1c.

Obviously can't speak for other parts of the region but in Rossendale; certainly Bacup, very little of the snow on the ground has actually melted.

It's still around 10 inches deep in the garden and hard packed over a foot deep on the pavements higher up the hill and we've had what was possibly more light snow late this afternoon.

I say possibly because it could well have been already fallen snow blown off the fields by the gusty winds.

The main road from Bacup to Burnley has actually been closed or barely passable for much of the day because of drifting snow with the Bacup to Todmorden one in a similar difficult state.

I know many comparisons have been made during the last week or so with past winters but in my opinion; the last 3 weeks or so have been probably the worst in these parts since certainly 1982 and probably 1979.

A bold statement and one which i can't back up with evidence but we've had snow on the ground here since 17th December and whilst we had some bigger falls in the early 80's winters, i can't remember snow lying as long as it has now since the winter of 1979.

I do like snow; always have done but i must admit that i'm very quickly getting tired of it now, both phsically and mentally.

I long for the days when you can walk out of the house and get in the car, start it and set off rather than find it, dig it out, hope it starts and then slide of in whichever direction the packed ice takes you.

Roll on spring but if the lovely Diane Oxberry is forecasting more snow for the region tonight then it's looking a long way off.

Ian

Spare i thought for those that aint had much yet lmao, winter is winter pmsl.

I think our winter should be cold and snowy and summers warm and breezy lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Temp Currently at 2c with a dew of -1c. So i doubt i would see anything wintry, as these are the same temp i had yesturday and i got rain.

So im still thinking very border-line for our area.

Spare i thought for those that aint had much yet lmao, winter is winter pmsl.

I think our winter should be cold and snowy and summers warm and breezy lol

Fully agree TS winters should be cold and snowy - maybe if they were then, as a country we cope better rather than having games of "spot the snow plough" and "how thin can you spread your grit" as is the case now.

As for sparing a thought for those who aint had much then please send a tipper down here and i'll give you some of mine. won't even charge you for it.

biggrin.gif

Ian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry and cold...

The sheer metronomic regularity of the temps at the moment are quite something, oscillating between 1 and 2 for the last two days at Manc Airport...

Posted

Fully agree TS winters should be cold and snowy - maybe if they were then, as a country we cope better rather than having games of "spot the snow plough" and "how thin can you spread your grit" as is the case now.

As for sparing a thought for those who aint had much then please send a tipper down here and i'll give you some of mine. won't even charge you for it.

biggrin.gif

Ian

LOL mate

Posted

Ian

Oh, I agree with you, I love the snow, but would really like this to go now and give us a break, even if its only for a week. My garden is now a load of deep drifts where the snow has blown off my field and walking up the steps to the top of the garden is now rather hazardous, I acually slipped and sat down in it today trying to get the dogs to come in. Every night I drive back from Bury where its thawing and as I drive up into the valley I cannot believe it hasn't gone even a little bit.

Looks like we're due some more tonight so another nerve shattering decent down my drive tomorrow!