Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Yes G-W, windy, intermittent snow mixed with more grainy stuff, and also a bit misty as far as I can tell. Definitely not 100% snow though, although with the wind whipping the laying snow around as well it's hard to tell what's falling from the sky and what's being blown off the ground. A really messy night so far, the only favourable thing I can say is that I definitely can't detect any thaw ! I'm a bit stumped as to why it seems to be struggling to snow properly given my temp. is showing at -0.9C with a DP of -2.3C ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Precipitation starting to look more organised off the humber now.

Posted

Does anyone reckon the bands out at sea could intensify during the night? Very poor here so far, prob because i don't have much elevation.

Posted

Yes G-W, windy, intermittent snow mixed with more grainy stuff, and also a bit misty as far as I can tell. Definitely not 100% snow though, although with the wind whipping the laying snow around as well it's hard to tell what's falling from the sky and what's being blown off the ground. A really messy night so far, the only favourable thing I can say is that I definitely can't detect any thaw ! I'm a bit stumped as to why it seems to be struggling to snow properly given my temp. is showing at -0.9C with a DP of -2.3C ?

Just moderate snow here,dont know where you are Pennine,but any where near slawit gate you are goosed.biggrin.gif Drifting must be a problem up there.Edit:it is one of those nights when you look at the radar and think it should not be snowing but on inspection it is .....weird.

Edited by winterof79

Posted

Temp down to -0.5°C here and we've had about 2cm fresh snow settled since 1630 when the patio was clear. Mostly light snow I think but haven't been paying much attention since it got dark.

Possibility of more overnight from a steady drizzle of light snow - judging from NW radar.

Posted

A little more wintry down here too Pennine but mainly snow, dp is always below freezing and lately some more of the heavy stuff....I agree drifting is becoming a big problem up there at Scapegoat Hill now they cannot keep it clear.

Posted

Some where must be getting a right pasting if it is snow as the rain / sleet has been non stop for nearly 4 hours now and some heavier bursts have produced more snow but it has then gone back to sleet / rain.

Posted

Some where must be getting a right pasting if it is snow as the rain / sleet has been non stop for nearly 4 hours now and some heavier bursts have produced more snow but it has then gone back to sleet / rain.

For any one who says where is the precipitation in the north sea.Take a look at the radar off the east coast,thats instability for you.

Posted

Temperatures and dewpoint rising again now. Dewpoint is the highest it has been all day at 0.1 C. Teperature now reading 1.0 C. We have had rain all day here with more to come by the looks of it!

Posted

Is that rain and sleet coming in from the East now? There's an awful lot of it!

Mostly rain and sleet until it meets the upslopes then quite readily turning to snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: ☀️

moderate snow showers here again:drinks:

Posted

Heavy rain here now in Rotherham, snow nearly all gone :whistling:

Hopefully its snowing in Sheffield (alot heigher) so I dont have to go to work in the morning ;)

I din't want snow. Been stuck inside and havn't seen the hubby for a week now! *cries*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder - not necessarily at the same time!

Absolutely grotty day with rain/drizzle on and off. Woke up to a temp if 2.2°C and thought oh, oh, what's up? Still not quite sure what has happened: will need to check on other threads. However, looks like I am going to work in the morning mad.gif

Temp here 1.3°C with a DP of -0.2°C and it is sleeting. Really horrible night with slush everywhere.

Posted

Heavy rain here now in Rotherham, snow nearly all gone :D

Hopefully its snowing in Sheffield (alot heigher) so I dont have to go to work in the morning :)

Well we have light snow in Hackenthorpe and only 100 meters above sea level anda mile from the Rotherham boundary.

A slight thaw here today. The powdery snow has compacted together but there is still over 10cmand the pavements are even more slippy

Posted

Good old Rob M on news 24 "for the moment winter not quite as harsh as it has been,but do yourself a favour and do not try and cross the pennines in the next few hours" Nicegood.gif

Posted

Had moderate snow here about 30 mins ago, now returned to light, small flakes/ice pellets. As PTFD said, looking misty on the tops around here.

Oh hang on, as I look out of the window again it is snowing moderately. Main road at the bottom (Scar Lane) now getting a covering. Judging by the manoeuvre a taxi just did, it looks slippery again.

Posted

Does anyone know if this heavy rain on the east coast will hold its intensity as it comes further inland? It will hopefully fall as snow on higher ground at least when it gets this far accross.