Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Channel4 Britains Freeze Programme

damianslaw

Posted

Surprised, no-one has posted a thread on thie evenings channel 4 britains freeze programme.

Effectively it was a re-hash of a programme broadcast last Feb after last Feb's snow. It didn't introduce much new apart from showing what has happened to produce this years cold and a bit about the Tan Hill being snowed in at New Year.

I found the presenter extremely annoying, everything was said with such aghast and disbelief, in the 'can you believe the Cairngorms gets snow mould'. I didn't find it very informative, just an excuse for a very annoying presenter to wade around in deep snow.

Posted

Surprised, no-one has posted a thread on thie evenings channel 4 britains freeze programme.

Effectively it was a re-hash of a programme broadcast last Feb after last Feb's snow. It didn't introduce much new apart from showing what has happened to produce this years cold and a bit about the Tan Hill being snowed in at New Year.

I found the presenter extremely annoying, everything was said with such aghast and disbelief, in the 'can you believe the Cairngorms gets snow mould'. I didn't find it very informative, just an excuse for a very annoying presenter to wade around in deep snow.

Must admit, the trailer put me off. It showed a cold blue arrow from the North East & I thought, "well what more do you need". Cold air from the North & East...cold weather & snow.

Posted

Why did they bother! absolute garbage with hardly any detail, one comment about stratospheric warming which they didn't elaborate on and a brief glimpse of the jet stream which wasn't explained properly, the rest was footage of people falling over etc and shock of all shocks cold temps and whiteouts on top of a mountain!

It would have been nice if they didn't treat the viewers like complete morons and actually explained more about the synoptics and as for the host, could they have found anyone more boring and irritating, the only highlight was John Kettley, what a star he is, shame he's still not doing the forecasts.

Posted

I find these dumbed down documentaries very depressing. it didnt deserve a whole hour in prime time, the preseter was not good and the overall content repetetive and simplistic. the only saving grace is that it wasnt made for channel 5!

Posted

"How snowy was your snow"...... :)

One word......."Absurd"

It was a few days of snow.....big deal!!!

But viewing figures=advertising revenue (that includes all the incredibly inane roadside reports that showed the latest bit of media totty geting snowed on and cars sliding all over the place,not to mention endless inacurate weather updates......,you know the rest.

I cant be bothered to comment any further on this. :)

Posted

Its worth remembering that documentaries like these are aimed at the general public, most of whom do not have much knowledge about all things meterological unlike most people who frequent a weather forum because we have a interest in it. Scientifcally based documentaries would be wasted on most of the public.

Posted

Its worth remembering that documentaries like these are aimed at the general public, most of whom do not have much knowledge about all things meterological unlike most people who frequent a weather forum because we have a interest in it. Scientifcally based documentaries would be wasted on most of the public.

Surely, a programme about the weather is only going to be watched by people who are interested in the weather. I wouldn't watch a TV show about some unusual fashion or political trend because I couldn't care less, and if I did, I would expect it to be complete gobbldygook to me. My advice to anyone planning a documentary about the weather would be to aim it at people who would actually watch it and don't try and over dramatise it.

Posted

Surely, a programme about the weather is only going to be watched by people who are interested in the weather. I wouldn't watch a TV show about some unusual fashion or political trend because I couldn't care less, and if I did, I would expect it to be complete gobbldygook to me. My advice to anyone planning a documentary about the weather would be to aim it at people who would actually watch it and don't try and over dramatise it.

The fact is that whatever way the programme makers did the programme, it wouldn't please everyone. It's impossible to please everyone. You would probably get people from all walks of life watching the programme because the cold spell did attract a lot of media publicity and affected nearly everyone in one way or another and was a national talking point.

Edited by Paul B

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

I could not watch this programme. I saw the trailer, it says "why did it happen?" i thought to myself, "it got cold and snowed" it's winter for god sake.

Edited by Marcus_surfer