Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

3 Counties & Ea Cold Spell Discussion Part 8

Posted

1st comment?

anyhow, the 18Z will start rolling out soon...an upgrade hopefully in the short term for us Cambridgeshirians?

Saw my first snow in over a month today, lovely to see.

hell to it, maybe even next year we'll be looking at a Washington DC style Whiteout. You know why? I'll be in the Middle East for a year. bloomin typical.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Storms and epic cold snowy winters

1st comment?

anyhow, the 18Z will start rolling out soon...an upgrade hopefully in the short term for us Cambridgeshirians?

Saw my first snow in over a month today, lovely to see.

hell to it, maybe even next year we'll be looking at a Washington DC style Whiteout. You know why? I'll be in the Middle East for a year. bloomin typical.

ANYHTING is possible. drinks.gif

Posted

Hopefully 1. The High Pressure will be positioned further north on this run and that will increase PPN later on this week and 2. Shows more troughs!

Posted

Hopefully 1. The High Pressure will be positioned further north on this run and that will increase PPN later on this week and 2. Shows more troughs!

will wait for your post snowman fingers crossed.drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Lovely to see so much snowfall in daylight hours, especailly about 4.30pm this afternoon when we had some huge flakes that even started to settle for a while.

Would love to wake up to a covering in the morning, is there anymore due tonight cc_confused.gif

Posted

Well so far if Im being to precise the High is a little further North, allowing the colder Uppers in earlier, will keep you updated....

Posted

Well so far if Im being to precise the High is a little further North, allowing the colder Uppers in earlier, will keep you updated....

good.gif so far so goodgood.gif this is what we want.

Posted

Wednesday night looks good for snow according to GFS 18z...... http://www.meteociel...6&code=0&mode=2

Edit: GFS shows that Thursday evening shows a feature heading for our region:

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

Last one for the night from me: GFS shows by mid Friday, HP probably having enough influence on us to prevent snowfall by then. So from GFS, good chances for snow for our region on both Wednesday and Thursday

Edit: GFS 18z has snow potential on Saturday aswell :drinks:

Edited by Snowman0697

Posted

Thank you snowman! So a good couple of days potentially coming up!! Hoping it will be better than forecast currently!

Posted

Southern man just came in from working outside at Reedham all night and is frozen, says it was one of the coldest nights he had out there, even colder than when it snowed, because there is a very raw wind.Now he can't stop sneezing.cold.gif

Posted

Posted

Light snow here... nothing heavy enough to show up on the radar but giving a sugar coated covering. Varies from straining to see it under the security light to the odd "heavier" burst, which is still very light but good lampost fodder.

Posted

For the west of the region, the 18z run highlights the potential for some moderate falls of snow Thursday night into Friday.

If this run is on the right lines we could see 2-5cm widely across Northamptonshire, Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire:

http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100208/18/75/ukprec.png

That's assuming it settles of course, which I think it should as the precipitation looks heavier and conditions should be a bit more favourable.

However, don't rely on this. It might drop the idea in future runs and we could just end up with a cold frosty night. It's something worth monitoring though and our best bet probably for this week.

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted

Good news. The UKMO fax charts show this feature well.

At T84 we see a trough headed for East Anglia:

http://www.wzkarten3.de/pics/brack2a.gif

24 hrs later this is seen just clearing the SW:

http://www.wzkarten3.de/pics/brack3.gif

So that's 2 models keen for a snow event in our region Thursday night. :D

Posted

Good news. The UKMO fax charts show this feature well.

At T84 we see a trough headed for East Anglia:

http://www.wzkarten3.de/pics/brack2a.gif

24 hrs later this is seen just clearing the SW:

http://www.wzkarten3.de/pics/brack3.gif

So that's 2 models keen for a snow event in our region Thursday night. :D

God love the FAX charts. When there is any uncertainty they place the troughs in the North Sea, then fast forward and they are in the Channel or somewhere. Never is a trough in the middle of the country. Keeps it nice and vague. The Met Office aren't expecting people to extrapolate the FAX charts in their head, surely not!

Posted

Anyone got what I have here... very light snow, then sporadic interludes of light graupel? Been like this for the past 3 hours or so. Covered the cars in a dusting and the odd whiter patch on the grass where some of the 'heavier' stuff settled late afternoon and didn't melt. If this keeps up, I reckon they'll be the best part of a centimetre overnight! I'll have to get the snow chains out, schools will be cancelled etc.

I am getting deju vu however. I recall an instance not too long ago when there was naff all on the radar and there was persistent light snow all night. Didn't amount to much other than a dusting. The obvious, but well scattered shower activity in NE England is spreading well inland which I guess bodes well. I don't really wish to look much further forward than Wednesday, because I don't want to take any precipitation forecasts beyond about +36 hours at face value. Julie on Look East who needs a good pie was, in her superior knowledge, playing down any prospects of significant snow for Wednesday onwards.

I lay down the gauntlet tomorrow, first one to record a max of 5C wins a pie and pea supper with Julie off Look East. She'll just have a few peas.

Posted

Anyone got what I have here... very light snow, then sporadic interludes of light graupel? Been like this for the past 3 hours or so. Covered the cars in a dusting and the odd whiter patch on the grass where some of the 'heavier' stuff settled late afternoon and didn't melt. If this keeps up, I reckon they'll be the best part of a centimetre overnight! I'll have to get the snow chains out, schools will be cancelled etc.

I am getting deju vu however. I recall an instance not too long ago when there was naff all on the radar and there was persistent light snow all night. Didn't amount to much other than a dusting. The obvious, but well scattered shower activity in NE England is spreading well inland which I guess bodes well. I don't really wish to look much further forward than Wednesday, because I don't want to take any precipitation forecasts beyond about +36 hours at face value. Julie on Look East who needs a good pie was, in her superior knowledge, playing down any prospects of significant snow for Wednesday onwards.

I lay down the gauntlet tomorrow, first one to record a max of 5C wins a pie and pea supper with Julie off Look East. She'll just have a few peas.

Very entertaining post!!

Nothing happening here at all..... would like to think we will get a dusting overnight but thats not based on anything other than personal whim!

Poor Julie looks like she could do with some more pies than peas!!! heheh

Posted

Very entertaining post!!

Nothing happening here at all..... would like to think we will get a dusting overnight but thats not based on anything other than personal whim!

Poor Julie looks like she could do with some more pies than peas!!! heheh

Thing is, she doesn't help herself. The other day she was wearing an outfit straight out of the 80s reminiscent of Crystal Carrington from Dynasty (I am a happily married man, let me point out, I just have a good memory) with massive shoulder pads. She wasn't fooling anyone. I much prefer 'Sara Blizzard' on East Midlands today. Her name just fills me with optimism, though rather dowdy. I wonder what Gok Wan makes of tonights 18z.

Posted

Thing is, she doesn't help herself. The other day she was wearing an outfit straight out of the 80s reminiscent of Crystal Carrington from Dynasty (I am a happily married man, let me point out, I just have a good memory) with massive shoulder pads. She wasn't fooling anyone. I much prefer 'Sara Blizzard' on East Midlands today. Her name just fills me with optimism, though rather dowdy. I wonder what Gok Wan makes of tonights 18z.

My hubby and I often comment on her dress sense!!! Poor girl is an odd shape, but like you say, the outfits could be better!!! I think I missed the massive shoulder pads.... perhaps tomorrow will bring a cracker!! We dont get East Mids Today.... but I am loving the name "Sara Blizzard" as well... girl was destined to be a weather presenter with a name like that!

Just to keep on topic.. still nothing falling from the sky!

Posted

My hubby and I often comment on her dress sense!!! Poor girl is an odd shape, but like you say, the outfits could be better!!! I think I missed the massive shoulder pads.... perhaps tomorrow will bring a cracker!! We dont get East Mids Today.... but I am loving the name "Sara Blizzard" as well... girl was destined to be a weather presenter with a name like that!

Just to keep on topic.. still nothing falling from the sky!

They are all scruffbags on Look East. You seen them on the breakfast bulletins... doesn't look like they've even bothered to pass a comb through their hair. My grandad, who has been dead a good 20 years used to comment that Carol Barnes got her clothes from a jumble sale. All I would say is that Norwich needs a good motorway link.

Still got the same here, ball bearing stuff. Very light... wonder which outfit Mariam Issimdar will have on in the morning. So only has three.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Lovely to see so much snowfall in daylight hours, especailly about 4.30pm this afternoon when we had some huge flakes that even started to settle for a while.

Would love to wake up to a covering in the morning, is there anymore due tonight cc_confused.gif

Good Morning all,

looks like I'm the first person up today !

Wishes came true, I have woken up to a light dusting of snow - guessing it was in the last hour or so (it wasn't there when I got up for the bathroom earlier). Not alot but enough to look like someone has sprinkled icing suger all over the path & car !

Thanks to Snowman for keeping us updated with an explanation of the latest models, this is apprecaited smile.gif