Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

3 Counties & Ea Cold Spell Discussion Part 8

Posted

Model summary this evening is for what could be a very cold spell next week, with the source of air coming from a very cold source, and LP which will be figured nearer the time, a Northerly or North Easterly. Im not saying this is guaranteed or this is defiently going to give snow but its certainly needs to be watched over the next few days.

Meanwhile wintry showers will become more frequent tonight and may leave a dusting in places, but it will be hit and miss

Even if we don't get the LP, a northerly will be more unstable than this fairly weak attempt at an easterly, with lots of convection occurring and more than likely troughs/fronts sinking south if it's potent enough which it should be as the source is very cold. More snow opportunities for sure next week IMO, regardless of whether or not you live in Kent.

Edited by NorthantsSnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Showers heading straight for Norfolk, will probably be hail/sleet I imagine.

Posted

METO warning :

East of England: Bedfordshire Cambridgeshire Luton Norfolk PeterboroughWidespread Icy Roads0000 Wed 101000 Wed 10Wintry showers are expected to leave roads wet, leading to widespread ice on any untreated surfaces overnight into Wednesday morning.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to the Highways Agency for further advice on traffic disruption on motorways and trunk roads

Issued at: 2157 Tue 9 Feb

I like the wintery showers part!

Posted

Got a light dusting of snow here this morning. rolleyes.gif

Just looks wet outside, with glazed windscreens. Obviously it rained here overnight, not even the hint of a dusting. Thats rain showers during the coldest part of the day, need i say more...This is a total non-starter in regards a snow event this week, (unless you live around the Kent coast).

Ive been closely watching the 'model output discussion' group and how they have been getting excited since last week. Ive seen posts that said, 'widespread snow',easterly flow bring heavy snow showers etc. etc. - But it is always "next week" ! Now everyone is saying the same again. Finding it all rather amusing now....

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

WEATHER UPDATE - BBC LOCAL WEATHER CAROL

Canterbury to Eastbourne

2-5cm with a possibility of Double that tonight !

Sorry guys it's looking like a very eastern kent event in the south east , even for us it's looking less likely though

Posted

Woke in the middle of the night to thunder, just one really loud clap of thunder, woke Southernman up too, then loud hail on the window for about ten minutes, did not look out of the window at that point, just went back to sleep.

When i got up this morning we have a dusting of snow enough that everything including the road is white.

p.s is that thundersnow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Nothing when I first woke up this morning...then while having breakfast I saw a couple of flakes....looked to the sky and there seemed to be nothing to indicate any more.

Five minutes later it was dark and there was moderate snow... I'd say a rate of two inches per hour. We only had it for ten minutes though! Covered the paths and was very pretty but not going to stick around for long. Stopped about 10 minutes ago but I was amazed at how quickly it came and deposited a dusting.

Posted

Naff all for this side of Peterborough overnight..... Hubby works in Market Deeping (North of us) and they got snow settled there, looks lovely (sent me a text picture this morning.,... I was not amused!!). Just had a very light snow flurry here, what did fall settled but has probably thawed already!

Posted

Tipped it down with snow in Cambridge for about ten minutes at approx 08.30, provided a covering which is nice to see

Came through another shower on the way in, about 07.00 and that also supplied a dusting

Just wish we could get something a bit prolonged, that's been the missing factor all winter

Edited by huntso

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Morning,

Woke up to beautiful blue sky and sunshine, got in the shower and when I came out it had clouded over. now it's snowing quite heavy and starting to settle, just goes to show how quickly it can change (I wan't in the shower that long....honest)

Posted

Morning,

Woke up to beautiful blue sky and sunshine, got in the shower and when I came out it had clouded over. now it's snowing quite heavy and starting to settle, just goes to show how quickly it can change (I wan't in the shower that long....honest)

Already easing off and blue sky apprearing in the distance, expect it will melt......but it was good while it lasted good.gifpost-10773-12657956240217_thumb.jpg

Posted

Blimey talk about marginal, I got nothing here in the West of MK!

Posted

Blimey talk about marginal, I got nothing here in the West of MK!

Ah...bless, move East we seem to do much better over here cold.gif

Tis melting fast though now the sun is back out !

Posted

We had a heavy but brief snow shower in Milton Keynes at about 10am, which settled but melted quickly. Then a very heavy hail shower at about 11am, which turned to very heavy snow for about 15/20 minutes, which settled then as soon as it started, stopped again and it's now blue sky and the snow/hail is melting again. The second shower was very heavy and you couldn't see the building over the other side of the car park! :clap:

Posted

We had a heavy but brief snow shower in Milton Keynes at about 10am, which settled but melted quickly. Then a very heavy hail shower at about 11am, which turned to very heavy snow for about 15/20 minutes, which settled then as soon as it started, stopped again and it's now blue sky and the snow/hail is melting again. The second shower was very heavy and you couldn't see the building over the other side of the car park! :good:

There's another on it's way. Might just miss us to the north. I'm in CMK too, that was great :lol::D

ETA: That was grauple, not hail :clap:

Edited by lizzieloo202