Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Have We Got Greedy For Snow ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I will add I have seen snow fall every day this week so maybe I'm just getting greedy!

Have we got greedy for snow?.

I have to admit having had a few weeks of snow, I still want more and I'm as disappointed as the next chap when the FI snow feast doesn't materialise.

Previous christmas m.o.d.e.r.n ....e.r.a winters you may have got a snow, shower mid April wishing if the synoptic set up in April had been there in the January things would have been so different.

I have had another day of the odd snow showers down here but like a crack addict it doesn't count. Maybe this winter I have had 25 days of snow (from flakes to many many inches).

However I'm chasing the dragon, I want that same type of hi i.e. 1ft of snow and -17c over night (in Bicester Oxfordshire) a few flakes don't do it for me.

Probably going to be mid May when I give up the snow chase.

It seems this year now I have tasted the snow I want more and more, I need help !.

ps Anyone seen the snow charts for Easter April 2010 they look amazing mellow.gif

Posted

like a crack addict

I'm chasing the dragon, I want that same type of hi

now I have tasted the snow I want more and more, I need help !.

mellow.gif

sounds like you need a trip to The Priory :rolleyes:

i would like another big dump before the end of winter .

Posted

I have to admit that I can never get enough snow during the main winter months. It could be because I have been starved of the stuff over recent years (even last year the February snowfalls were a non-event in my area). However come March-for me personally-I want warm springlike weather to start,to get a heavy fall of snow next month invariably means it lasts but a short time and cannot be enjoyed to the full. Until then I just hope it snows and snows and snows-------

Posted

sounds like you need a trip to The Priory whistling.gif

Sounds like you need a trip to a curry house ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I could say I am greedy, but I think like July 2006 before it, this winter has merely taught me that it takes a lot to get me to tire of my favourite types of weather. The difference between me and many other N-W members is that my favourite weather patterns stay much the same all year around, so a sunny anticyclonic spell is almost as welcome in January as it is in July, and the same for sunshine and snow showers in May as opposed to January.

So with that in mind it isn't too much of a surprise. It's no more greedy than, say, hoping for more hot sunshine after a hot sunny June and July, or among convective storm lovers, hoping for more convective activity after an unusually "active" pair of months for showers and thunderstorms.

Posted

Oddly even though TEITS and I live in the same city I havent seen the same snowfall as he has. We had snowfall yesterday and today, certainly nothing of note. This also happened wth the December snowfall, people on the other side of the city were telling me how tthey were making snowmen and we would have struggled to make a snow ball.

I think I have become greedy for snow, but as it is such a relative rarity and there is a relative small window of opportuniy, every chance that passes us by only adds to the frustration. Last Feb spoilt us I think!

Posted

sounds like you need a trip to The Priory :yahoo:

Sounds like you need a trip to a curry house ?

This chain of events just made me laugh out loud at work!

Edited by stuboy

Posted

to be honest the annoying thing in Nottingham was we've just had an amazing cold spell yet for us it didn't actually produce lots of snow. We just always seemed to miss out even when it looked nailed on wallbash.gif

Edited by Ryan05

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

I think we need to start a Snow Addicts Anonymous Division (SAAD's), we could be a secret group with special anoraks so we could spot one another laugh.gif

And Jimmyay I can recommend something for that constipation if you are still having problems ohmy.gif

Posted

I think I have become greedy for snow, but as it is such a relative rarity and there is a relative small window of opportuniy, every chance that passes us by only adds to the frustration. Last Feb spoilt us I think!

Perhaps greedy is the wrong word maybe more 'expectations'

Snow is still rare for low lying Britain maybe this winter we will forget that, heaven forbid a mild winter next year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

not enough snow really, nothing like the winters of the 80s/90s, loads of ppl I know say weve had lots this winter, but really nothing compared to SE and NW England, but agree that I have had quite a lot

certainly hoping for snow next week, but not really expecting any, will be just for peak district, staffs moorlands etc

Posted

Perhaps greedy is the wrong word maybe more 'expectations'

Snow is still rare for low lying Britain maybe this winter we will forget that, heaven forbid a mild winter next year

Yes I like that, we have higher expectations!! Im looking for USA proportions!! lol

Posted

I am greedy for snow - Feb 09 set me off and I havent stopped since. I am coming to terms with the window of opportunity slowly starting to close in the coming weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNOW!

I'm very greedy for snow. Most of us in the midlands did rubbish out of the Dec/Jan cold spell even though there was loads all around us. I was watching it all miss us on the radar and raging with jealousy - sad eh :-) Most we had was 2 inches which was pretty pathetic.

I just want some proper disruptive snow, around shin height, fallen overnight so no getting out of your street for work (just for a day is fine). Everyone out on the street, clearing their drives, kids out playing, going out for a walk and hearing that lovely crunching sound as you walk, hot toddys, bliss!!!!

I don't like the cold to last and last but when it comes to snow, it's gotta be more than a dusting, that's just a tease!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

I think so. 8-10 inches lying on the ground for around 2 weeks, over 2 inches for around 4 weeks, plus an extra incha few days ago - and I still just want one big dumping, something like a January '93 event or a January '87 where over a foot fell around here, probably even more in the first one. I'm not greedy for long lasting snow, I just want a real biggie.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

I'm not too sure it is possible to be greedy over something we have no control of. When someone receives a 20cm dumping of snow, for instance, it would be a little unfair to say were greedy, especially since it is not one of those events where you go up and take it - the weather provides it all for you. Just like when it snows on a day you didn't want the weather to (so it wouldn't really be the persons fault for getting alot of snow). I do understand how people feel, though, when they see areas that have received much more snow then they have, and I think it is okay to get a bit upset about it at times.

Afterall, with some of the previous winters being low on snow, it is understandable to be eager about this particular weather and I am happy to admit that I really love the snow and have always begged for a 15cm (and over) dumping. I mean, okay, I suppose begging for a large amount of snow is a bit greedy, and obviously there are other aspects in the world other than snow. But I think it's just going to be one of those things where it would be hard to never get excited about. cool.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

too be honest im getting a bit fed up with snow..i see it every day thick on the ground..its snows from time time every week..mind you today it crept above freezing for the 1st time in 4 weeks for about an hour after lunch in beautiful sunshine..still it will be a good 6-8 weeks before i see the grass again

Posted

Few people seem pleased with what they get wrt snow - even if you got 20cm for a week, then no snow for 2 weeks I'm sure a lot of people would still want more snow :o

I can't say I'm any different - I'm in Leicester now and over the December/January snowy spells there was very little snow here, which is why I think a situation like next week has a better potential for this area.

I'm almost certain that since the beginning of December I've seen more snow days than rain days, which is unprecedented!

Posted

too be honest im getting a bit fed up with snow..i see it every day thick on the ground..its snows from time time every week..mind you today it crept above freezing for the 1st time in 4 weeks for about an hour after lunch in beautiful sunshine..still it will be a good 6-8 weeks before i see the grass again

the joys of living in Canada-I doubt the coldies over here will show you much sympathy!

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Wish I guess makes the joys of low land UK weather watching so interesting and nail biting.

Having 3 or 4 months of snow, I guess the novelty wears off.

Bit like rain here hardly an 'event' but in drier climates it would be.

Have spent some time in USA/Alaska in past winters.

I notice even mid March in a place like Kansas when it can be 45f + for several days there are hugh piles of snow that seem to melt so slowly.

I would have loved to have had lying snow through from the second half of Dec and right through Jan - A couple of nice big dollops like what they had along the eastern seaboard of the US of A with some good drifting and max temps about -5C with lovey clear sunny days when not snowing - But we did not really get that here at Watford - just a couple of good falls with a nasty 'orrible grey thaw intervening to produce slushy stuff. Now being nearly halfway through Feb I am getting a hankering for lovely clear sunny days with a rising temperature leading onto a scorcher of a summer.

Don't really want much do I? Never mind off to the south of France in just over a weeks time but it is pretty cold there as well, peut etre les printemps arriverai le semaine apres ça, j'espere.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Don't you need alot of something to get greedy? rolleyes.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Had snow lying for a Month from mid December but was very unhappy to see it go.

Would like to round off a good winter with a Washington / Baltimore type storm that didn;t melt right away. One caveat would be no power cuts though.

Is that being greedy?

Edited by Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.

After being starved of good winters for so long I think its about time the snow met our demands. I certainly could never get tired of snow in winter but I am a 'snow lover'. This winter we have been spoilt and just like spoilt kids we want more, more, more...

I always try to have a positive outlook on life, however sometimes after a big GFS downgrade I feared we may never see a 'proper winter' again, we were in the era of the 'even larger teapot' and we were told we wouldn't see snow akin to the 90's again, never mind the even snowier decades before that.

This winter (and to a lesser extent last winter) though has proved that a cold winter with proper snowy weather is still possible. We are not being greedy ! Although after years of starvation could you blame us if we were ! No, we just want more of a good thing lol !