Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

South West England Cold Spell Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

That 10 over me then is going to be... 10mm of rain or 10cm of snow?

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

i have just looked at the NAE and it shows the dew points to be @3c @12 noon and nothing but rain.cc_confused.gif

fromey

Posted

At T30 NAE extends the snow risk down through Dorset and Hampshire, much further south than previously.

If your outside of the METO advisories you will be lucky to see snow IMHO. However spot totals for the midlands and Bristol etc look very high with most of it being snow.

T36 is likely to have the most snow area in the SW I think.

Needless to say the situation still seems to be very fluid.

Posted

i have just looked at the NAE and it shows the dew points to be @3c @12 noon and nothing but rain.cc_confused.gif

fromey

Well, I've just read Ians latest update on his blog...

It's not sounding too good for us in Somerset / Wiltshire...

Looks like it's going to be a tad further North!...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/weather/ianfergusson/

ians updated his blog .. http://www.bbc.co.uk...r/ianfergusson/

Looks like we both had the same idea at the same time!!! rolleyes.gif

Posted

Well, I've just read Ians latest update on his blog...

It's not sounding too good for us in Somerset / Wiltshire...

Looks like it's going to be a tad further North!...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/weather/ianfergusson/

Looks like we both had the same idea at the same time!!! rolleyes.gif

great minds think alike :wallbash: lol.

Posted

I wouldn't like to have to bet what would happen tomorrow, even now.

However the 48hr chart from NAE is rather nice as well.

UKMET GM has things further south than the NAE and is probably more in line with the GFS 12Z.

I am not sure that things will be sorted until tomorrow morning, but still time for things to shift 30-50 miles from the NAE current position.

post-6326-12664235592817_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Ian's idea of it being further north is a concern although at least he is fairly confident the mendips could see some still. whistling.gif

I would love heavy snow for bristol area though as at least id have a chance of seeing it also. I am working from 7am tomoro until 6.30pm so if it was just wet snow on hills id still miss out! lazy.gif

Posted

Ian's idea of it being further north is a concern although at least he is fairly confident the mendips could see some still. whistling.gif

I would love heavy snow for bristol area though as at least id have a chance of seeing it also. I am working from 7am tomoro until 6.30pm so if it was just wet snow on hills id still miss out! lazy.gif

A quick interjection to stress that disruptive snow to low levels in Bristol and other areas subject to the warnings is still clearly a potential outcome - I'm not saying it's not, merely that it's not clear-cut (only 60% confidence). If anything, the snow threat increases later in the day into some of these slightly more southerly areas (Bristol, N Som, B&NES) and possibly for the evening rush-hour. We shall see. Next NAE (and high-res) run is critical.

Edited by Ian Fergusson

Posted

A quick interjection to stress that disruptive snow to low levels in Bristol and other areas subject to the warnings is still clearly a potential outcome - I'm not saying it's not, merely that it's not clear-cut (only 60% confidence). If anything, the snow threat increases later in the day into some of these slightly more southerly areas (Bristol, N Som, B&NES) and possibly for the evening rush-hour. We shall see. Next NAE (and high-res) run is critical.

Its all so intresting this weather thanks for the update :drinks:

Posted

Yep that band coming in for Friday is interesting, I'm also willing to bet the NAE is too slow with kicking the front away, the GFS has the whole lot gone by midnight, whilst the 12z NAE has it still not even close to clearing by 12pm. What this means is if the NAE is right that band could arrive at an even more favourable time.

Certainly higher ground could do very well though the main risk does seem to be further N/NE.

Posted

Thanks Ian for that I shall await your next update with baited breath. I work in whitchurch which is a little higher i supose on the southern side of bristol but still i shall have to wait and see. dry.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Looks like spring is put back again. Typical. But then if it can't be warm and sunny it might as well be cold and snowy. Rain is a no no whichever way!

Posted

Looks like spring is put back again. Typical. But then if it can't be warm and sunny it might as well be cold and snowy. Rain is a no no whichever way!

I thought the snow was all over Matt to be honest untill my friend just knocked on the door and told me of the possabillitie's this week :lol:

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Yeah i have a feeling we will all miss out on here.

It looks like the heavy stuff is north of Glos.

Im not expecting much now.

Unless these charts show it further south on the next run i fear we all will miss out.

Posted

I think places that saw snow today would likely to see snow tomorrow and places that saw rain would most likely see rain tomorrow just seems similer to today.

Posted

I think places that saw snow today would likely to see snow tomorrow and places that saw rain would most likely see rain tomorrow just seems similer to today.

Humm, im not so sure.

Now the LP is SW of us and will be south of us eventually. This is gonna start to bring colder air in from the east.

So it WILL be colder over the next few days.

How cold however?

Posted

Lets just wait for the latest NAE charts before we all start quiting. It looks quite possible at moment and there should be more ppn around compared to today so evaporative cooling should be stronger.unsure.gif It should be slightly colder i think than today which would be good news because there was alot of sleet around and wet snow on higher spots.

After missing most of the jan snow i am really banking on this one to just favour our region for a change.

Edited by mullender83

Posted

Lets just wait for the latest NAE charts before we all start quiting. It looks quite possible at moment and there should be more ppn around compared to today so evaporative cooling should be stronger.unsure.gif It should be slightly colder i think than today which would be good news because there was alot of sleet around and wet snow on higher spots.

After missing most of the jan snow i am really banking on this one to just favour our region for a change.

Oh yeah, I forgot.

Maybe you should go skiing again? It only seems to snow when your not about :clap: :winky: