Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

Damn! as you're slightly further north than me looks like you will be getting snow and I will be getting heavy sleet

prectypeuktopo.png

lol I dont think so laugh.gif your only about 3 miles south of me.

And due to your elevation you should do better. Man I wish I was like 300metres high, then these marginal set-ups become almost guaranteed!

Penistone be ok thendrinks.gif but without the alchohol what night last night. I think the lows are over progressive and again the set up is very alien to computer models created over last 20/30 years to monitor this. A few suprises ahead. Im quite suprised how queit it is on here actually maybe all at the pub pardon.gifpardon.gif

Ye too right, I think all the ingredients are there for some big dumps, especially on high ground!

At penistone your laughing, you could be snowed in by the end of next week :wallbash:

http://charts.netweather.tv/gfsimages/gfs.20100220/18/111/h850t850eu.png

look at how the 18z brings the low too far north, this time the dam scotts are laughing.. Its all a balancing act to get the best for your location. Being selfish id like that low over the midlands biggrin.gif

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

Wednesday low is further south, missing much of Scotland. So I wouldn't be surprised to see the low even more south.

Posted

And due to your elevation you should do better. Man I wish I was like 300metres high, then these marginal set-ups become almost guaranteed!

You would get fed up of shovelling the stuff....at least I do when there's fresh snow every day :good: but I've got a plastic shovel now so it's not such hard work.

Temp here is -3°C, I wonder how low it will go before the ppn rolls in.

Posted

Looks like i could be in for a lot tomorrow!

looking great for southyorkshire! even at 50m asl!

Posted

Certainly will be snow about. I think main rds should be ok, there are patches of snow still around from previous snow and the snow from Thursday eve. Forecast for this areas is between 6 and 15cm and you certainly will be in a location varying from 170mtrs up to and over 300 mtrs. If you are goin past the Strines it is certainly open and bleak at times. If you are prepared for a some challengin walk and experienced then i think you will be fine but if it is just for a sunny potter then i wouldnt bother as you will be dissapointed.

failing that you could alter your course and walk on the hills above Stocksbridge around Penistone up to hartcliffe tower 360mtrs amsl and overlooking langsette res and stocky res with veiws across the midhope moors. And start at the train station and use the train from Sheff. Even when we had a foot of snow in Jan the trains never stopped. one every 2 hours starting at ten and last one back to sheff at 19.50 thats the sunday service.

Many thanks.

Shall open the curtains and decide if i will or won't be going!

looking great for southyorkshire! even at 50m asl!

I'm about 110-115 asl!

Posted

Damn! as you're slightly further north than me looks like you will be getting snow and I will be getting heavy sleet

prectypeuktopo.png

There's something I like about that chart, but I can't quite put my finger on it :good:

Posted

There's something I like about that chart, but I can't quite put my finger on it biggrin.gif

Could it be the shades of pink over your location?????clap.gif

Posted

does anyone know what the prospects are for east yorks and Lincolnshire tomorrow morning. The charts look ok as do the bbc forecasts, just wondering what poeples opinions are.

Posted

Many thanks.

Shall open the curtains and decide if i will or won't be going!

I'm about 110-115 asl!

Not a problemmo ianyhting to help and improve the pattronage on the Penistone Line rolleyes.gif hope you have a fab day i will just have a snopw walk on the Pensitone trail and see how far i can get to Dunford Bridge with my son before giving up!

lol I dont think so laugh.gif your only about 3 miles south of me.

Ye too right, I think all the ingredients are there for some big dumps, especially on high ground!

At penistone your laughing, you could be snowed in by the end of next week tease.gif

Fekkin fantastic. Me thinkx a glass o red wine is on order drinks.gif

http://charts.netwea.../h850t850eu.png

look at how the 18z brings the low too far north, this time the dam scotts are laughing.. Its all a balancing act to get the best for your location. Being selfish id like that low over the midlands biggrin.gif

Posted

does anyone know what the prospects are for east yorks and Lincolnshire tomorrow morning. The charts look ok as do the bbc forecasts, just wondering what poeples opinions are.

For your location I am going for 2-4cm of temporary lying snow then turning to rain/sleet in late morning/afternoon. When I say temporary the snow may still be there but alot of it will probably melt.

Posted

prectypeuktopo.png

I am sure that Elevation is poss not keyed into this so will have an impact. I cant see this taking all data on board eg temp thickness wet bulb gradient etc etc etc so i think we can safely shift that green splodge another 50 mile further south. There is that better sorted!whistling.gif Anyway green is rain/snow so could be either so still looking gooddrinks.gif

Edited by NCC1701

Posted

For your location I am going for 2-4cm of temporary lying snow then turning to rain/sleet in late morning/afternoon. When I say temporary the snow may still be there but alot of it will probably melt.

I'll take that, its often the case that the snow turns a bit sleety here. I'm sure been only 16 metres asl won't help. Hope you get a pasting over your end.

Posted

I'll take that, its often the case that the snow turns a bit sleety here. I'm sure been only 16 metres asl won't help. Hope you get a pasting over your end.

Fair dos no it wont but you just never knowrolleyes.gif

Posted

18z is interesting it has to be said, upto Wednesday this region does well but it all gets shunted even further north after Wednesday and most of the fun and games occur in S.Scotland the north in general on this run between Thursday-Saturday.

Will be interesting to see if the set-up past Wednesday slowly gets altered southwards just like Monday's set-up did, but we shall see!

However Sunday morning still has to be the main focus, the models are making this a decent system it has to be said, the wrap around feature will probably help to prolong the snowfall, so looking likely to get maybe 4-6cms *unless* the band arrives a little later then progged...

Posted

It might stay as snow which is sometimes the case, even when it is on the wrong side of marginal you can still get snow. Hopefully you will do well.

Posted

It might stay as snow which is sometimes the case, even when it is on the wrong side of marginal you can still get snow. Hopefully you will do well.

Only time will tell. We have often done very well with marginal situations in the past, having said that we have also missed out only just as well. Might have a visit to the Wolds if we miss out.

Posted

I dont know if this will work but couldnt resist attatching this pic whne we had heavy snow in Jan there was 25 cm and still snowing ended up with 30cm in the end the next morning. Penistone 220m amslpardon.gifrolleyes.gif

20535_248930056704_654416704_3359709_4431977_n.jpg

Gopt some gawjuz ones of trees and stone walls etc if anyone fancies having a look i will post them. Sorry if this is not relevant but wanted to share this

Snow pic.docx

Posted

GFS gives me around 7cm of snow turning sleety before it moves away. Will see what the NAE model looks like

Thats quite possible given the wrap round set-up, of course as I said before a matter of a view hours later will make a big difference as to what snowfall amounts there actually could be. However certainly interesting to observe.

Also worth noting the GFS ensembles now coming into very good agreement about Monday, though amazingly still not total agreement as they still vary on the northern extent!

Posted

Another cold night here with the temp already down to around -2c.

It certainly is a chilly night mate. Just had a check and the temps are -3.5c with a Dew point of -4c

Posted

It certainly is a chilly night mate. Just had a check and the temps are -3.5c with a Dew point of -4c

Hopefully a covering of snow in the morning mate :)