Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

here is the update I promised for the Doncaster area based on the 12z.

First can I say to anyone asking questions about their own spot-PLEASE try the same data test as I've done below, as per my post this morning-factor in height and coastal corrections.

Trust me its much much more fun than simply asking someone to tell you. You do it yourself and if you get it right-with a little help from the model-the feeling you have, again trust me, is huge-so go on have a go.

for me

overall the 12z run is about, perhaps a touch better than the 06z run; precip also starts rather later, after 06Z and finishes soon after 12z much as the 06z showed.

06Z=rain=nil; max/min temp range=-1C all time; 850mb temp=-7C; 0C=<100m

09z=4mm; -1c, <-6c; 0c=150m

12z=3mm; <2c; about -4c;350m; 1+c

on that I'd still suggest 5-6cm and at worst 2-3cm.

missed dewpoint values off

06=-2c

09=about -1c

12=1+c

Thanks John.

As ever fantastic post!!

Posted

I think I will stick with BBC 5 day forecast, http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/2535 Heavy snow on Monday with a high of -3.c

Posted

I'm a little slow with this, had a manic day! We had a semi decent amount of snowfall here on the coast last night with around 2-3cm's in Scarborough, the sun really got to work on it though and it thawed pretty quickly. Still got some laying snow in the shaded spots and the view over to the wolds is white over.

Driving over to Whitby in the morning which should be an eventful trip, going along the NYM coastal road! Hopefully we will have a good amount of snow again by tomorrow (As long as we get back for Whitby!)

I'll definately have the camera with me, just incase :doh:

Temp now dropped to 1.6C with a dew point of -3.6C.

Had a max temp of 9.2C today, Is there anyone in the area that can confirm this? I don't know if i need to move my station again because I think the sun might be catching it now as the days grow longer!

Posted

I'm a little slow with this, had a manic day! We had a semi decent amount of snowfall here on the coast last night with around 2-3cm's in Scarborough, the sun really got to work on it though and it thawed pretty quickly. Still got some laying snow in the shaded spots and the view over to the wolds is white over.

Driving over to Whitby in the morning which should be an eventful trip, going along the NYM coastal road! Hopefully we will have a good amount of snow again by tomorrow (As long as we get back for Whitby!)

I'll definately have the camera with me, just incase :doh:

Temp now dropped to 1.6C with a dew point of -3.6C.

Had a max temp of 9.2C today, Is there anyone in the area that can confirm this? I don't know if i need to move my station again because I think the sun might be catching it now as the days grow longer!

Hi mate,

I had a max of 6.1c here today :doh: quickly dropping now at 1.3c

Posted

Hi mate,

I had a max of 6.1c here today :doh: quickly dropping now at 1.3c

We had a maximum of just 4.8C here. There was a massive change in temperature according to the car driving from Hull to here, from 6.0C to 4.5C in just a few miles. Not entirely sure why though!

Posted

Hi mate,

I had a max of 6.1c here today :) quickly dropping now at 1.3c

Hmmm, I thought 9.2C was excessive, especially as we still have laying snow! I'm sure even shaded areas would have melted at 9.2C?

The trouble I have is that I have a sheltered garden, so if i put the weather station there it's sheltered from the sun but the wind speed is innaccurate.

Iv'e put it on the garage roof now and wind speed is accurate but theres no shelter from the sun so temperature is innaccurate!

What to do?!

:cc_confused:

Temp plummeting since sunset, now 0.4C.

Edited by PMPhotography

Posted

We had a maximum of just 4.8C here. There was a massive change in temperature according to the car driving from Hull to here, from 6.0C to 4.5C in just a few miles. Not entirely sure why though!

It's a volcano i tell ya! that or my central heating is playing up again :cc_confused:

Posted

John, i'm not arguing mate. I feel as if i have 2 mothers! and a parrot on my shoulder.

Is it a parrot or is it a chip? :cc_confused:

Posted

Is it a parrot or is it a chip? :)

Oi be carefull :) otherwise i'll stop giving you forecasts and predictions via msn, i might start charging you :cc_confused:

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

My station recorded 9.5 degrees today, but it's pretty exposed and I've always thought it read a touch high.

Posted

-0.3c ATM, really want temperatures to drop but cloud cover will be coming in shortly so can't see temps dropping any lower than -1.c for most areas.

Posted

Evening everyone,

Tomorrow i have a walk with the walking group. Not sure if we should go or not. It will be from Stockbridge up to midhope moor, up to langsette resoviour (however you spell it!) and back down to Stocksbridge (Travelling from Sheffield by car to there and back of course!)

What are the outlooks for snow tomorrow guys!? Please help!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Here is the report of the Attheraces webiste. What do you think of my chances of it passing the inspection? smile.gif

Sunday's meeting at Sedgefield is subject to an 8am inspection due to the threat of further frost.

The Durham venue is unraceable at present but clerk of the course Charlie Moore is hoping conditions will improve in the next 24 hours.

He said: "It got down to minus 4C overnight and the course is not raceable at the moment. We're hopeful it will warm up and the track will be raceable and we've got the fleeces down in the vulnerable areas to try and help us."

He added: "It is forecast to get down to minus 3C, but we wouldn't want it to get any colder than that."

Posted

My station recorded 9.5 degrees today, but it's pretty exposed and I've always thought it read a touch high.

I cant beleve you recorded temp so high. It only peaked at 2.2 degs today her in Penistone South Yorkshire. Are yuo sure you thermometer was not in the sun????

Posted

Evening everyone,

Tomorrow i have a walk with the walking group. Not sure if we should go or not. It will be from Stockbridge up to midhope moor, up to langsette resoviour (however you spell it!) and back down to Stocksbridge (Travelling from Sheffield by car to there and back of course!)

Snow looks certain.

If you can actually get to Stocksbridge in the morning I'd forget about going up on the moors. You can do a nice round walk to Langsett reservoir by sticking to the lanes.

Posted

Evening everyone,

Tomorrow i have a walk with the walking group. Not sure if we should go or not. It will be from Stockbridge up to midhope moor, up to langsette resoviour reservoir (however you spell it!) and back down to Stocksbridge (Travelling from Sheffield by car to there and back of course!)

Certainly will be snow about. I think main rds should be ok, there are patches of snow still around from previous snow and the snow from Thursday eve. Forecast for this areas is between 6 and 15cm and you certainly will be in a location varying from 170mtrs up to and over 300 mtrs. If you are goin past the Strines it is certainly open and bleak at times. If you are prepared for a some challengin walk and experienced then i think you will be fine but if it is just for a sunny potter then i wouldnt bother as you will be dissapointed.

failing that you could alter your course and walk on the hills above Stocksbridge around Penistone up to hartcliffe tower 360mtrs amsl and overlooking langsette res and stocky res with veiws across the midhope moors. And start at the train station and use the train from Sheff. Even when we had a foot of snow in Jan the trains never stopped. one every 2 hours starting at ten and last one back to sheff at 19.50 thats the sunday service.

Edited by NCC1701

Posted

-0.3c ATM, really want temperatures to drop but cloud cover will be coming in shortly so can't see temps dropping any lower than -1.c for most areas.

Its nearly minus 2 here Penistone 220m amsl already altho there does seem to be some very thin high cloud about..

Posted

Its nearly minus 2 here Penistone 220m amsl already altho there does seem to be some very thin high cloud about..

Temps have dropped since that post, it's now -2.2.c outside and still dropping.

Posted

GFS has come out, from a IMBY view it is better for me as the pecipitation sticks around for longer and is further south.

prectypeuktopo.pngprectypeuktopo.png

Posted
Posted

If the GFS comes of on Monday any snow that is lying in south/East Yorkshire will be washed away. Lets hope it doesn't come of.

Posted

If the GFS comes of on Monday any snow that is lying in south/East Yorkshire will be washed away. Lets hope it doesn't come of.

Ye, this set-up certainly suits inland areas, especially with elevation!

Posted

Damn! as you're slightly further north than me looks like you will be getting snow and I will be getting heavy sleet

prectypeuktopo.png

Posted

Penistone be ok thendrinks.gif but without the alchohol what night last night. I think the lows are over progressive and again the set up is very alien to computer models created over last 20/30 years to monitor this. A few suprises ahead. Im quite suprised how queit it is on here actually maybe all at the pub pardon.gifpardon.gif