Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Yorkshire, Lincolnshire And The Pennines Cold Spell Discussion

Posted

So far the dusting still remains in places even in direct sunlight which is pretty good for this time of year, there is 1cm on the grass which is in direct sunlight which has yet to disappear so hopefully we will hang onto the snow till the frontal snow events. It would work in our favour if we have the base as I could see these event's having quite alot of wet snow so if we have got the snow already there we have a better chance of deep snow, as wet snow takes ages to settle.

Hi,

Just posted about snow cover days in the 'historic winter' thread.

Do you have an exact no. of days with atleast some snow on the ground in Cookridge?

Im going for 45 - 50 days here ( guesstimate).

Posted

Hi,

Do you have an exact no. of days with atleast some snow on the ground in Cookridge?

I think it's about 42 days, your not far off :)

Posted

Hi,

I'm not too sure, all I can say is we had snow cover from the 17th December till the end of the January cold spell. I live right at the top of Cookridge so further down the hill there will be less days.

Posted

I'm not too sure, all I can say is we had snow cover from the 17th December till the end of the January cold spell. I live right at the top of Cookridge so further down the hill there will be less days.

Yeh my numbers are based on 30 days continuous 17th Dec - mid Jan and numerous days including the last 3 and many others so will go about 40-50.

Elevation is the key we know. Ive got a colleague at work who lives bottom end Pudsey and they said Friday morning 'what snow'.?

Out comes the mobile phone with our cul de sac covered in the stuff !biggrin.gif

Posted

video of me recording snow falling on top of snakepass on thursday!!! watch it in HD :) hope you all like it

Posted

video of me recording snow falling on top of snakepass on thursday!!! watch it in HD smile.gif hope you all like it

Those were massive flakes!! Are you sure it was filmed at Snakepass, looks just like the alps to me lol.

Posted

Those were massive flakes!! Are you sure it was filmed at Snakepass, looks just like the alps to me lol.

thats exactly what i thought when me and my best mate got to the top! just sat on top watching it snowing! was magical! and only 40mile drive from where i live :)

Posted

in fact in the Alps, certainly at reasonable elevation the flakes are usually quite small as the temperature is, again, usually pretty low.

Large flakes, not always, but usually, are when the temperature is close to freezing-in fact they are not flakes as such but an amalgamation of several, sometimes many snowflakes.

Posted

in fact in the Alps, certainly at reasonable elevation the flakes are usually quite small as the temperature is, again, usually pretty low.

Large flakes, not always, but usually, are when the temperature is close to freezing-in fact they are not flakes as such but an amalgamation of several, sometimes many snowflakes.

I didn't know that, thanks. It was the everygreen trees covered in snow that reminded me of the alps.

Posted

yep thats why marginal situations tend to have those fat flakes :D what are your thoughts on next weeks potential john?

Posted

Really hope we will see something similar tomorrow.

That would be awesome, but im not expecting much of the white stuff tomorrow :)

Posted

going by the latest 12z, wednesday looks like a non event with temps hitting 7-8c, either the GFS has the LP system too far North, or the UKMO have made a huge mistake putting out a warning so far out. They did the same with Monday, that vanished.

Posted

Snow Forecast for tomorrow.

A band of precipitation will arrive in the morning (6AM), the precipitation will arrive first in South/West Yorkshire. The band will start of as snow in all areas, the snow will be heavy at times particularly in East/South Yorkshire where there could be very heavy for snow for a short while, for most areas the snow will be light-moderate with some heavier bursts. During the morning the snow will slowly clear for South Yorkshire but lingering in East/North and parts of West Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, the snow may turn to rain or Sleet in the east as slightly milder air associated with the front moves in, this will particularly affect Eastern areas (East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire), while West/North Yorkshire will still have falling snow. During the afternoon the rain and sleet will clear from eastern areas but will linger in West/North Yorkshire where snow will continue for a time, the snow leaving all areas by early evening.

Snow depths-

North/West Yorkshire- 4-6cm, High ground (150m+) 5-11cm

South Yorkshire- 3-5cm, High ground 4-8cm

East Yorkshire/Lincolnshire-3-4cm, High ground 4-7cm

Coast (excluding North Yorkshire Coast)-2-4cm, High ground 4-6cm

North Yorkshire Coast- 3-4cm, High ground 4-8cm

Edited by 10123

Posted

Will elevation be a key factor again for west yorkshire? Or will it snow on low ground?

It will snow on low ground, atm the best place for low ground snow is west/North Yorkshire.

Edited by 10123

Posted

here is the update I promised for the Doncaster area based on the 12z.

First can I say to anyone asking questions about their own spot-PLEASE try the same data test as I've done below, as per my post this morning-factor in height and coastal corrections.

Trust me its much much more fun than simply asking someone to tell you. You do it yourself and if you get it right-with a little help from the model-the feeling you have, again trust me, is huge-so go on have a go.

for me

overall the 12z run is about, perhaps a touch better than the 06z run; precip also starts rather later, after 06Z and finishes soon after 12z much as the 06z showed.

06Z=rain=nil; max/min temp range=-1C all time; 850mb temp=-7C; 0C=<100m

09z=4mm; -1c, <-6c; 0c=150m

12z=3mm; <2c; about -4c;350m; 1+c

on that I'd still suggest 5-6cm and at worst 2-3cm.

missed dewpoint values off

06=-2c

09=about -1c

12=1+c

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

Meto warnings now for whole of Yorkshire for tomorrow http://www.meto.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/yh_forecast_warnings.html

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting much of Wales, the Midlands and parts of northern England. Snow will spread eastwards during the morning, giving widespread accumulations of 2 to 6 cm, and perhaps up to 10 cm locally, clearing away from all but northeastern England by mid-afternoon.

Posted

Snow depths-

Cant see as much as that for N Yorkshire/West Yorkshire.

Lincs Wolds and SE parts of lincs to get the highest totals.

Meto warnings now for whole of Yorkshire for tomorrow http://www.meto.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/yh_forecast_warnings.html

There is a moderate risk of severe weather affecting much of Wales, the Midlands and parts of northern England. Snow will spread eastwards during the morning, giving widespread accumulations of 2 to 6 cm, and perhaps up to 10 cm locally, clearing away from all but northeastern England by mid-afternoon.

Yeah it was issued at 10am this morning.

lewis

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

lewis

I shouldnt been in here but it has just been isssued the warning for tommorrow :)

Posted

I shouldnt been in here but it has just been isssued the warning for tommorrow :)

It was issued at 10am this morning, they have edited it at 4pm, although nothing has changed from the earlier warning at 10am lol.

Edited by Storm Force Lewis

Posted

lewis

The warnings were issued at 4PM "Issued at: 1601 Sat 20 Feb", the original warning covered only west/South and East Yorkshire, Now north Yorkshire is in the warning, and parts of north east England.

Anyway I think the snow will be the deepest in North and parts of West Yorkshire as the precipitation is there for the longest and these areas are not affected by the warm sector and rising dew points in late morning/afternoon.

Edited by 10123

Posted

to Lewis and 10123

QUIT arguing and making comments not especially helpful to others wanting to use this thread-stick to actual data and actual forecast quotes please?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

This is typical the only EVER time i dont want snow its coming :@ Because im meant to be going to Sedgefield Races if the weather is okay and passes the inspection i dont think its looking good now :cc_confused:

Posted

I think you should know your self if you have a pair of eyes or not, don't really know why you are asking me?

The warning for North Yorkshire and North East England were not shown before, the warnings for these areas appeared at 4PM, so I don't know why you are been sarcastic when you dismissed it minutes ago.

I did not dismiss the warning 10123..

I simply said the warning was not issued at 4pm, it was issued this morning, whether it added N yorkshire and NE england has nothing to do with it, it does not affect me so therefore the warning has not changed since this morning!

John, i'm not arguing mate. I feel as if i have 2 mothers! and a parrot on my shoulder.

Posted

A band of precipitation will arrive in the morning (6AM), the precipitation will arrive first in South/West Yorkshire. The band will start of as snow in all areas, the snow will be heavy at times particularly in East/South Yorkshire where there could be very heavy for snow for a short while, for most areas the snow will be light-moderate with some heavier bursts. During the morning the snow will slowly clear for South Yorkshire but lingering in East/North and parts of West Yorkshire and Lincolnshire, the snow may turn to rain or Sleet in the east as slightly milder air associated with the front moves in, this will particularly affect Eastern areas (East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire), while West/North Yorkshire will still have falling snow. During the afternoon the rain and sleet will clear from eastern areas but will linger in West/North Yorkshire where snow will continue for a time, the snow leaving all areas by early evening.

Snow depths-

Id tend to agree with that, maybe less away from north/south/west yorkshire. I think Im looking at about 3-5 cm tomorow and probably 5-10cm for you (you lucky sod :cc_confused:)