Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Slowest Start To Spring Since 96?

Posted

Not sure what others observations are in terms of nature awakening this spring, however, if my measure of when the first daffodil in my garden appears is anything to go by, this is the slowest start to spring since probably at least 96.

The ground is still very cold which is not helping new growth. Though the past couple of weeks have been mild, the sustained cold weather means we are weeks behind where we should be. In some recent springs, some buds have been very close to bursting into fresh green leave.

Another sign of how slow a start this season has been is the lack of any spring blossom, again in recent springs we have seen this happen in March.

In some respects it feels like a spring from yesteryear - a similiar feeling occured in 2006, but this year is much more pronounced, when nature does awaken into spring growth it will be with a flourish.

Posted

Your wright, only know daffodils are opening here, and after todays snow they've pouted again or as we say in Wales they've pwdu'd.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Usually the hedgerows are in full leaf by now, yet these are barely leafing at all on the whole. Likewise, certain trees are usually in full leaf such as Horse Chestnut and Willow, but no sign of them yet. No blackthorn blossom as yet which must be a record!

As you say Daffs are very late, we now have over half in flower around here I would say, they usually would be on the turn and starting to die off now, there would have been plenty out by March 1st- this year there were none at all. There will still be at least a few Daffs blooming in May by the looks of it something that is most unusual. Those that are out now have had a right bashing from the gale, hail and sleet today!

First Chifff Chaff heard yesterday, almost always hear some mid March.

A slower, later Spring this year than 1996 would say.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

Well of course, we hit 20c on April 20th in 1996, no sign of that this year. And by the way this would be the latest start to spring since only 2001 not 1996. But everyone appears to have very short memories and be under the belief that we have to go back decades since cold springs when actually it's only a few years. Oh selective memories eh.

Edited by RichardR

Posted

Silly to be comparing this spring to 1996 in my opinion. That year had one of the coldest Mays of the 20th century and we haven't even reached April yet. For all we know April could turn out warm- it seems there will be a cool start but it is the most unpredictable month of the year so who can say what will happen later on. Every spring is different anyway- 2008 was remarkable for its warm February but then March and April were rather cool and I remember many trees had not shown signs of life until the warm spell began in May. 2006 was also a rather cool spring- I don't recall there being many more signs of growth then at this stage of March/April.

Edited by Scorcher

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

It is rather late. Daffodils have been out for 2-3 weeks now though, and a few trees down my road are now starting to lose their blossom, whilst my cherry tree is just blossoming now. A few trees and hedges have their leaves now, but I can't remember such a late start.. usually everything is pink by now.

Posted

Nature's calender

Well of course, we hit 20c on April 20th in 1996, no sign of that this year. And by the way this would be the latest start to spring since only 2001 not 1996. But everyone appears to have very short memories and be under the belief that we have to go back decades since cold springs when actually it's only a few years. Oh selective memories eh.

But its not necessarily just about cold Springs- I am relating my observations of how late nature is reacting to the coldest Winter (that lasted until mid March) since 1979 or longer over Britain. I dont recall many if any as late/ slow as this.

Its called phenology:

Phenology

Nature's calender

Edited by Tonyh

Posted

Silly to be comparing this spring to 1996 in my opinion. That year had one of the coldest Mays of the 20th century and we haven't even reached April yet. For all we know April could turn out warm-

I think he is referring to growth at this stage in spring as compare to past springs at the same stage ie how far growth has got this spring compared to previous springs by the start of April.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

Almost certainly. Some buds are showing on the trees but aren't out yet. 2006 Surprisingly we had all the trees in leaf by the start of April generally due to the very warm first half of Autumn and warm run before. The intense cold spell of January certainly helped all this this year by keeping them back.

In 1996 we had to wait until mid May I believe before the trees all had full leaf and all the plants were out as they should be. The Junes heatwave put them in their position.

Edited by Optimus Prime

Posted

After the coldest winter for 31 years, I would have to say so far this spring has been what they described in the past as somewhat backward. The other term often used was forward ie flora and fauna have advanced compared to the average, a term you would use to describe the spring of 2007.

Posted

I think he is referring to growth at this stage in spring as compare to past springs at the same stage ie how far growth has got this spring compared to previous springs by the start of April.

Yes that it was I mean, up to this point probably the slowest start to spring since at least 96. 2001 was a slow start but nothing compared to this winter, 2000/2001 was a fairly average winter, 1995/96 saw a colder winter and a colder March than 2001.

We may suddenly see soem major spring growth in the coming couple of weeks, but with such cold ground conditions I don't see it. 1996 saw a very cold May, though April was average, still i remember thinking in mid May 96 how bare everything looked.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

It's been a really slow start around here too, Daffs are now blooming but there are still Snowdrops in bloom too - very late for them. The Blackthorn is in bloom now but there's no sign of Hawthorn leaf bursting into growth, usually the first thing around here to leaf up.

This year, for the first time in years I've had to hand pollinate the Apricot tree (in the greenhouse) usually it's covered in Bees but when it flowered 2-3 weeks ago, there wasn't a Bee in sight, they were still hiding from the cold.

Posted

A few daffodils sprouting in the nearby cemetery, but most of them (at least 90%) still green.

Personally I can't wait for the blossom season to start. There's a road near where I grew up that's lined with cherry blossom trees, and every year it plays host to a blizzard of blossom leaves - it's always lovely to stroll along there when the weather turns warm.

Posted

Daffodils still havn`t come out yet and it`s april 1st.

No leaves on any trees at all not even the hawthorn,slower than 1996,the grass has grown somewhat since that milder wetter spell but now it will of stopped growing last few days.

Posted

its slow here but we do have daff's and the crocus have gone over now...

and the first leaves appearing on the clematis..

So yes a slow Spring here but recovering nicely..

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Daffodils have come out during the last 10 days round here, yes that does seem late (in 2005 the first ones emerged in mid-January!) but on the whole the spring doesn't seem any more backward than 1996, 2001 or 2006. 2001 in particular was terribly late, although the winter wasn't especially cold the lack of mild spells in March and April was noticeable, with lying snow on 21st March and 2 weeks of single-figure maxima in mid to late April. We were hard pressed to reach 15C, let alone 20, until May.

If we get a few days of maxima in the mid-teens sometime in the next fortnight (I think we will) it won't be really "backward"- not like 2001 anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Ahhh, spring in terms of flowers n the trees blooming, things sure are well behind in my neck of the woods however....

Birds wise, I've already seen loads of Wheatears, some Sand Martin, Swallows etc. and reports nationwide in the last couple of days have included...

Ospreys, Stone Curlews, Willow Warblers, Cuckoos, Redstarts, Pied Flycatcher, Hobbies, some of which are if anything, ahead of schedule.

Phenology is so interesting, so reliant on the weather and never ceases to amaze.

Kind Regards

STORMBOY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Not really, I'd say it was normal. Daffodils came out about 3 weeks ago, as is normal, crocuses were coming out in late February, again as is normal but theyve stopped now. Everything is normal here, apart from maybe the leaf buds on trees is a little behind, but nothing on the scale some people suggest for their part of the country.

In the main 90% of Daffodils are out. Blossom on trees is now occuring. Hawthorn is almost in young full leaf in places. Horse Chestnut flowers starting to emerge.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Not really, I'd say it was normal.

Hello Stephen,

Hoping not to sound rude and anyhow, I'm off to bed soon. Things are clearly unusual in relation to my area, but somehow, birds nationwide, are seemingly possibly bucking the trend.

As an anorak of Phenology, I can provide evidence of at least 16 years of records, so of course, by using results from many years of Phenological evidence, you can then clearly see 2010 is behind schedule as a result of the coldest winter for over 30 years.

And no, the Daily Mail is not the source for this information.

Bedtime.

Cheers

STORMBOY

Edited by STORMBOY

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I've kept phenological records for a long time for quite a large number of plant species. With regard to Daffodils in particular the first flower is not quite open yet but is showing colour. The average date for the first Daffodil here over the last 31 years is March 26th and this year is the latest since 2001 when the first bloom opened on April 3rd.

In 1996 the first one was out on April 15th but the latest year was in 1986 when it was April 26th.

Between 1979 and 1987 the average date for the first Daffodil was April 10th so in the last 20 years or so it's moved forward by 15 days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Not really, I'd say it was normal.

Hello Stephen,

Hoping not to sound rude and anyhow, I'm off to bed soon. Things are clearly unusual in relation to my area, but somehow, birds nationwide, are seemingly possibly bucking the trend.

As an anorak of Phenology, I can provide evidence of at least 16 years of records, so of course, by using results from many years of Phenological evidence, you can then clearly see 2010 is behind schedule as a result of the coldest winter for over 30 years.

And no, the Daily Mail is not the source for this information.

Bedtime.

Cheers

STORMBOY

I don't doubt you at all.. Although I havent kept records, usually the forthcoming of spring is pretty much the same every year as it has been this year, in this location. However yes it can vary in different parts of the country. Last year I witnessed this by travelling down to Birmingham, the leaves were out here in Wirral, as soon as we got to Whitchurch, the trees were still bare. This is because the last frost in Wirral is usually earlier than in the Midlands most likely.

I find the local timings of spring jumping into life fascinating.

Posted

Hello again.

Stephen, as suggested it is very much dependant upon your specific location and according to my Davis, at home we actually had 11 Air Frosts in March alone.

So, when the Beeb or whoever put up some data such as 'Snowdrops flowering two weeks later than normal' etc. where do they get their facts from and what part of the u.k. is the headline grabber relating to, for example.

With temperatures in mind, Phenological events having been behind in my neck of the woods was certainly due to the fact that we achieved 94 consecutive days with sub 10 celcius temperatures which indeed is absolutely stunning in my lifetime.

As ever, I love the thrill of this Phenology malarkey.

Spring Cheers

STORMBOY