Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Convective Outlook

Posted

Are those cells in north france moving towards IOW and Brighton area?Just seem to be moving more NNE but we will see.

Edited by weathercoxy

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

Lightening and quiet thunder!! :)

Now proper lightning and thunder!

Edited by tooby

Posted

Another organised cell now in the channel SE of Portsmouth

Gone very stormy looking here now and an unusual dead calm. Not even a leaf twitching at the moment. I am holding my breath and hoping. Humidity increased to 78% now.

I am east of Portsmouth and it appears to be heading this way.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Any news on the imports comming up from France later? Are they still on course?

Posted

Worth keeping your eyes open as the night draws in down there as the cape and lifted values are looking quite good where the development is currently happening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'm not entirely sure that we will get a full-blown MCS here, but I think the peak of the activity is likely to hit between 4 and 8am, so still around 6am. There are a fair number of cells shooting up behind the two south and west of Norwich now, so an overnight stream of them looks likely.

The ones near Norwich aren't exactly moving very fast though!

Posted

Strangely enough with all these cells/storm firing up, the rain-band over the SW of England remains pretty stagnant. Certainly doesn't appear to have moved that much to me anyway.

Posted

Explosive developement just to our south, had a bit of rain here.

I have a massive headache too.

http://www.raintoday.co.uk/

Posted

OK, so things will start to happen quickly now, across certain districts.... keep close eye on the very fast Oxon / Northants developments, for example; plus further cells of interest into Lincs (near RAF Cranwell) and parts of E Anglia. Plus the showery precip off Conrwall might show signs of activation (less probable). It'll be tough to keep up to speed with it all locally, me thinks....

Edited by Ian Fergusson

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

As the trough in the SW edges nearer, could it create additional showers/instability around it?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

I'm not entirely sure that we will get a full-blown MCS here, but I think the peak of the activity is likely to hit between 4 and 8am, so still around 6am. There are a fair number of cells shooting up behind the two south and west of Norwich now, so an overnight stream of them looks likely.

The ones near Norwich aren't exactly moving very fast though!

Cheers. :)

Ha - I told my family 1 1/2 hours ago to expect a shower in an hours' time - it's still not here!

Edited by chrisbell0033944

Posted
I'm not entirely sure that we will get a full-blown MCS here

Same, I'd say there isn't yet enough ground heating and instability to produce a full blown mcs though smaller squall lines might be possible.

If you are in the Leicster and Nottingham areas though, hold on to your hats!

Posted

Hi guys,

Firstly would like to thank Mr. Ian. F his input is greatly appreciated and very helpfull.

I just walked to the local shops for some more chocolate for the cake lol, and yes its a big cake smile.gif. I can clearly see the different cloud formations, a mixture of towering cumulus enhanced by the thermal convection, and theres also further enhancment around because there is some Cumulonimbus clouds also towering over the tops of the cumulus, The temp has stuck to its guns at a sticky 20.8c with the dew point rising once again, the humidity has certainly gone up a level as it's so close outside and still.

I have just noticed some showers that you guys are talking about South of me over the east midlands, and the notts area, they are certainly pushing towards me (i think and hope).

things seem to be getting interesting now.

Edited by North Sea Breeze

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Keeping a very close eye on those showers to my SE. If the other showers are anything to go by, then they could intensify quickly in a short space of time. Wind speed increasing from the north.

They are just to my South now.

It feels really muggy here now all of a sudden.

Posted

LATEST LIGHTNING IS:

Various locations: Last 5 mins, multiple returns incl:

Just south of Newbold Verdon, west of Leicester;

Near Eydon, ENE of the A361 and NE of Banbury;

Various, around Newark on Trent, Caythorpe and Sleaford

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

As the trough in the SW edges nearer, could it create additional showers/instability around it?

I think its already happening Luke...the moist airmass ahead of the trough is destabilizing readily...Maybe all is not lost for our neck of the woods...That cell near Worcester has Birmingham's name written all over it, and is exploding, as are many cells over the South and east Midlands :)

Posted

I think its already happening Luke...the moist airmass ahead of the trough is destabilizing readily...Maybe all is not lost for our neck of the woods...That cell near Worcester has Birmingham's name written all over it, and is exploding, as are many cells over the South and east Midlands :)

Yep possibly, its right near me that cell now. :p

Posted

Hi guys,

I have just noticed some showers that you guys are talking about South of me over the east midlands, and the notts area, they are certainly pushing towards me (i think and hope).

things seem to be getting interesting now.

It's not looking great for our area at the moment, but hopefully things will improve sooner rather than later.

Posted

Anyone else noting those sudden (increasingly) developmental returns on radar in the E Channel south of Hants?

Posted

Strikes now showing north france near Brest , usually a good sign for southern england!!! :)

Aye, that area over north france near the isle of wight might be worth keeping an eye on.