Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Storm Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted

Have issued a storm forecast for tomorrow - see convective forecast thread or here: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=convective;sess=9a1c3f81629e038ddae9d06bb548bed4

nick, there seems to be alot sferics over the irish sea and parts of wales

why's that then when there is no cape to be had?? as far as i'm aware

cheers

Posted

Good evening, Nimiblus.

I think a heavy night of wind and rain ahead. Strong to gale force winds being over the south coast., then blustery showers being the main until this what I would call an unprecedented LP moves NE.

Sunday looks more settled with warming and more settled but back to square one again come Monday afternoon.

Phil.

That is a Simply Outstanding Picture. You really would think that was taken looking across the Gulf of Mexico and Not from the SE Looking along the Coast towards Brighton.

Well Done and Hope you dont mind but saving that Image to my Favourites and Will write up a Blog Entry on my Site if that is okay - Picture Credit obviously to the poster who has just joined.

Paul S

No problem at all my friend!

All I ask is that you link to my flickr photostream at http://www.flickr.co...os/chrishayes90 smile.gif

I'm pleased that everyone likes the image!

Edited by Cyprino

Posted

wind is not to bad here now.

and there is a lull in sferics on radar and looking forward to another possible action day for here

i think the site is playing up..or my comp is

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

The Environment agency has flood warnings out for the West Bay area this evening. Judging by the height of the tide and the surge this morning when I was down there, it seemed very likely that this evening's high tide would be worse as the wind is even stronger.

Inland the wind seems to have dropped in the last 15 minutes and the rain has stopped too. Quite some storm.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

nick, there seems to be alot sferics over the irish sea and parts of wales

why's that then when there is no cape to be had?? as far as i'm aware

cheers

18z GFS does show some low-end MLCAPE across Irish and Celtic Seas, though best indication that storms are possible is to look at water vapour imagery. This image taken 2200z (UTC) shows a distinct dry air intrusion (red/purple) punching into the back of the depression currently over Irish Sea tracking NE towards Anglesey - this dry air descending from the bottom of the stratosphere through the jet stream increases instability as it passes above relatively warm moist low-level air beneath by steepening lapse rates.

post-1052-037333500 1279233509_thumb.jpe

Posted

No problem at all my friend!

All I ask is that you link to my flickr photostream at http://www.flickr.co...os/chrishayes90 smile.gif

I'm pleased that everyone likes the image!

Yep

No worries will do that Chris. Will get round to the Blog in the next few days, am only upto the end of Tour 2 on my StormChase Blog (18th May) Still have until the 10th June to go - But will include a Blog entry with a link to your Picture and brief write up of the conditions on the 14th July with radar etc - That way it will be preserved and not lost on this site as Threads tend to move along to quickly.

If you want to Follow the Blog the address is in my Signature Below :pardon:

Posted

18z GFS does show some low-end MLCAPE across Irish and Celtic Seas, though best indication that storms are possible is to look at water vapour imagery. This image taken 2200z (UTC) shows a distinct dry air intrusion (red/purple) punching into the back of the depression currently over Irish Sea tracking NE towards Anglesey - this dry air descending from the bottom of the stratosphere through the jet stream increases instability as it passes above relatively warm moist low-level air beneath by steepening lapse rates.

post-1052-037333500 1279233509_thumb.jpe

so it won't affect cardiff will it? as i want a good nights sleep (when i get into my pit in a mo :nonono::lazy::lazy: )

Posted

so it won't affect cardiff will it? as i want a good nights sleep (when i get into my pit in a mo :nonono::lazy::lazy: )

Low chance IMO, so you'll probably get some good shut-eye.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Latest winds.... 74mph gusts Pembrey Sands at 23.00... 57mph Mumbles Head, very unusual. (Metoffice Observations)

Edited by Marcus_surfer

are you and that camera for hire, need some shots of myself kitesurfing down camber (sorry mods)

Absolutely, what sort of stuff are you after? Send me a private message with some contact details! I can't go in the water though, the camera's not waterproof lol. The camera survived the onslaught the other day by being inside the camera bag, inside a Peter Lynn Venom bag all stuffed underneath my brother's 10.5m Ion3 which was weighed down with 3 landboards!!

@ Paul Sherman - I look forward to reading it!

Posted

Plymouth has taken some decent gusts this evening. 46knots is the current max.

The driving rain/drizzle enhances the wind speed somewhat.

However, I still can’t remember the last decent lightening storm we had.....boring!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Thanks - PHIL UK. another exciting storm forecast from nick , even some convective towers would be great.

So rough here and wet , cold front must be quite near?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Quite quiet on the s-ferics now. Seems to be pulses of activity in Isolated areas. Probably call it a night now, no point staying up if its gone quiet again.

Posted

Had some pretty stormy conditions at Sidmouth earlier.. Was visiting relatives and walked down to the sea front and the sea was very rough. Some stones brought onto the promenade and there was frequent waves/spray coming over the sea wall blowing over the promenade and road at the east end of the sea front, you couldn't see through it sometimes It was quite a sight to watch really.. Very strong winds so it was hard to walk against it in places, heavy (briefly torrential) rain sweeping across that stung. rain/spray sweeping along the road and in one place a vortex created by the wind whipping round the corner of a building that was gathering water together and actually picking it up sometimes like a mini tornado.

A few cars were stopping where the sea was coming over to get drenched by it! Nice little autumnal storm, I quite enjoyed it really and don't mind the odd event like this in summer for variety, only wish I had my camera as I could have got some good pics/vids.

Edit: Some very strong winds in NW Wales now and the MetO have a warning for gusts between 65 and 80 mph! http://www.metoffice...t_warnings.html

Did someone say July? Very unusual system.. 'Sting jet' developing?

Edited by StormMad26