Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

General Storm Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Well ive just been able to come back online after a power cut, we had torrential rain thunder and lightning it only lasted about 5 mins but the best for my area by a distance for some time and i have a feeling as the cold front slowly moves east the fun and games should really get going.

As a type another beefy shower is falling not sure if this one will go electric thow:drinks:

• Replies 683
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted

Rain eased off here . Didn't hear the rumbles of thunder reported in and around Newcastle. Another disappointing event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting

Some awesome skies about today with all the elevated thundery cloud. Still hoping for something for this area though all the action is further north currently with some serious looking radar returns in the wake of that beauty heading out to sea.

Doubt here will see anything that may develop along that trough as it looks on Sat24 like the band is starting to push East and our end of the CF aint too exciting either atm. I would be surprised if that was it for everywhere tonight, but I would be more suprised if we got something here in Glos!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I've just checked the radar too, I'm a bit North of you Backtrack, its just starting to rain heavy here. This afternoon was horrendous we had flash floods, what is normally a fifteen minute journey from work took me 3/4 hr, atrocious driving conditions. Didn't realise there is worse on the way?

Jan, that was merley the calm before the storm. The rain is going to get worse. It's great lol. Usually we don't get weather like this around here. But we've had an amazing winter, a scorcher May and June, and now torrential rain and slight floods. Woo! Propper weather!

Have a look at this picture of the convective clouds from before!

s7302065.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

for those who dont know..use this sat..watch for the bumpy bits and bright white topsuk cloud sat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Jan, that was merley the calm before the storm. The rain is going to get worse. It's great lol. Usually we don't get weather like this around here. But we've had an amazing winter, a scorcher May and June, and now torrential rain and slight floods. Woo! Propper weather!

I didn't realise, I haven't been paying attention lately! So should I stay in tonight or go out with my camera. I will have to make the effort ot get on here more often I love proper weather!

Posted

I didn't realise, I haven't been paying attention lately! So should I stay in tonight or go out with my camera. I will have to make the effort ot get on here more often I love proper weather!

Haha. It's worth a walk.

Shame my camera is broken or i'd go for a walk up the hills.:aggressive:

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

No mention of thundery showers or thunder or even heavy showers anywhere tomorrow or thursday on the latest BBC forecast.

Posted

God dammit!

storms just off the East coast!

post-8895-073827500 1279647096_thumb.png

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

just had are first bit of rain for the day here, lasted about 15 seconds and was only a few splashes! may see a bit more coming up from the south

Posted

just passing to my north west with developing cells! hope some of them shift over the middle of yorkshire!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

the whole sky is altocumulus floccus theres a number of ingredients in already but theres one not there , is it a dry layer? if so is it coming? for s/se :aggressive:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Local radio just reported Rivers Ribble,and Douglas have burst their banks, they also said the rain was going to get lighter into the evening??

Edited by Jan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and lots of Heavy snow!

BBC North West Tonight reporting flash floods in parts of Merseyside and Liverpool city centre.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

the whole sky is altocumulus floccus theres a number of ingredients in already but theres one not there , is it a dry layer? if so is it coming? for s/se :drinks:

Don't think the SE will likely see any storms from the cold front. GFS and UKMO indicate only light rain moving through with the front overnight. Trouble is all the stronger forcing is further N and NW over central/northern England this evening and overnight as the upper trough arrives from the NW.

Posted

Thinking Manchester will get moderate rain this evening, most of the cells are North and East of Manchester, while the moderate/heavy rain is over Merseyside, pushing northwards. Can't see much intensification.

There has been a sferic in W Yorkshire too from one of the cells over the Pennines.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

My garden has suddenly become full of flying ants, didnt see any here yesterday.

Your turn to suffer the same plague we did yesterday :drinks:

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Yet another pulse of heavy rain coming up through south/mid wales, this front has been so static today!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Tommorow for me looking tantalising...I'll post the rest in the convective discussion area.

Posted

Holmesey.. You mentioned Nottingham having unstable airmass... Do you think Notts, Leicester, Birmingham, Coventry etc... Will see something thundery later? That PPN doesn't look to be moving Eastwards at all :drinks:

Although I quoted the Watnall ascent the air is unlikely to be unstable south of that area. Indeed most of the instability is being moved in a northward direction as you can see if you put the upper winds on to the Net Wx radar charts.

Most likely area for torrential downpours from now on is probably north of a line NE Wales-central Manchester to about Bridlington, remember that is an APPROXIMATE line. The further south and east you are then rain, possibly a short heavy burst is all that most will get as the front makes erratic progress into the North Sea

Posted

no idea its pretty unusual for it to be missing-maybe some kind of web problem getting to the various web outlets?