Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Storm Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted

You know the score!!! General conversation about convective storms in here only please!

Posted

bought a dongle this morning so prepared to go chase any Thunderstorms that might develope..

BBC mentioning heavy thundery showers also...Thankgod they didnt mention the Humdinger word

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted

I think you might be in the 'sweet spot' today Pat, maybe even Jane Louise will be lucky...... :lol:

Posted

I think you might be in the 'sweet spot' today Pat, maybe even Jane Louise will be lucky...... :lol:

Hi mate,

Im prepared today, though not going to get my hopes up to much.

But laptop and car are ready :pardon:

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted

But laptop and car are ready :D

:clap:

tornado_intercept_vehicle.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, and Snow.

Lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

some interesting "stuff" pushing into mid-wales, bright echos...doesnt seem electrified yet, but worth watching its progress eastwards

Posted

lol...yes my car looks sort of similar...Its a souped up Robin Reliant..lol

edit...AJ yes got my eyes on t his

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted

Did the A-Team build that for you? :clap:

Only a 20% chance here today for thunderstorms in Solihull / Birmingham areas. But still a chance. And the way this week has been going so far stormwise, I want to hire Paul the Octopus to see what he thinks.

StormMad26 : (From previous thread)...

"Had some pretty stormy conditions at Sidmouth earlier.."

Hi mate. Was down that way last September (5th to 16th). Sandy Bay, Budleigh Salterton, Exmouth and a cruise down the River Exe, passing Dawlish Warren. (Where the BBC filmed 'The Odenin Line' for those old enough to remember).

Maybe Cakie can verify this when on 7th September 2009, a sea mist blew in. I've never seen anything like it. It was in a sense, haunting. Felt like a cold December day when the previous day had been pleasantly warm.

Oh, and are those oil tankers still sitting (or floating even!) out there near Teignmouth / Plymouth? I counted 14 of them. Reason which I found out last Christmas was that they are holding the petroleum companies to ransom. More money or no oil, so's to speak.

Anyway, I digress. (Sorry Coast!) As I type, just got back from the bank, breezy and drizzle just starting. What will be of any storms today is quite frankly anyones guess, but I'd favour Wales and the south west of the UK. (That means you, Jane Louise and Pat, and maybe even Andy Bown!) :D

Phil.

Posted

erm Coast - it's July. :clap:

Shhh!! He'll wake up in a minute. ;-) He's been watching too many episodes of 'Lost' and out by a month.

Phil.

Posted

erm Coast - it's July. :)

ahhh yes!!!!

:clap: just found the error!!!

Shhh!! He'll wake up in a minute. ;-) He's been watching too many episodes of 'Lost' and out by a month.

Phil.

:D

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Surface trough moving SE forming a line of showers across N and W Wales and NW England, this trough likely to be the focus for storms to develop this afternoon across central, sothern and eastern areas of England.

Posted

Surface trough moving SE forming a line of showers across N and W Wales and NW England, this trough likely to be the focus for storms to develop this afternoon across central, sothern and eastern areas of England.

i wonder if i will be a little too far s/e for the action?:clap:

the winds really got gusty here in the last 30 mins

Posted

looks like its moving NE though?

Posted

I think, Loopydreamer, as a well known BBC weather forecaster said... (Might have been Bill Giles) "Hit and miss affair" as regarding showers and storms. (In Solihull so far, very miss. It's like playing darts whilst wearing a blindfold!)

That said, breeze has picked up in the last hour and some angry looking dark based Cu's about. This sort of set up you'd see more of in October but not the middle of July??

Phil.

Posted

I think, Loopydreamer, as a well known BBC weather forecaster said... (Might have been Bill Giles) "Hit and miss affair" as regarding showers and storms. (In Solihull so far, very miss. It's like playing darts whilst wearing a blindfold!)

That said, breeze has picked up in the last hour and some angry looking dark based Cu's about. This sort of set up you'd see more of in October but not the middle of July??

Phil.

:good:thanx 4 your reply phil and yes very bizarre weather for july! i have a good feeling for your area today! im keeping my fingers crossed for you :clap:

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

looks like its moving NE though?

It is often deceptive when trying to work out the direction that a trough travels. If you have NW extra radar and overlay the wind vectors at 1000hPa and 700 hPa it immediately becomes apparent that the lower winds are undercutting the trough from the NW. This is not apparent though as the trough approaches as thel ower and upper winds are coming from the SW. So, ultimately the trough heads SE whilst the pulses of rain travel NE along the trough.

Posted

Well hopefully I'll not have to go to far for a chase if there are any storms about today and hopefully get some nice pics if any storms develop on the coast this evening :clap:

Posted

I'm keeping my fingers and all crossable bits crossed and if nothing comes of it, then I will be cross with the crass who created the cr@p forecast.

Or else I'm staying my little snugpit called The No Storms Club. :clap:

Phil. (There's no place like NSC! Even if July feels like October ATM!)

Posted

It is often deceptive when trying to work out the direction that a trough travels. If you have NW extra radar and overlay the wind vectors at 1000hPa and 700 hPa it immediately becomes apparent that the lower winds are undercutting the trough from the NW. This is not apparent though as the trough approaches as thel ower and upper winds are coming from the SW. So, ultimately the trough heads SE whilst the pulses of rain travel NE along the trough.

Ah I see. So as the rain moves SE, the trough moves NE, bringing with it the CAPE, and lift. and they are heading for a collision over central, southern, and eastern England which is where the storms come into things. (Hope I've got that right)

I love these forums. Most forums "newbies" are always shouted at when they don't know much, but everyone here is so helpful and I've already learnt so much! Thanks guys!