Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Storm Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Ah I see. So as the rain moves SE, the trough moves NE, bringing with it the CAPE, and lift. and they are heading for a collision over central, southern, and eastern England which is where the storms come into things. (Hope I've got that right)

I love these forums. Most forums "newbies" are always shouted at when they don't know much, but everyone here is so helpful and I've already learnt so much! Thanks guys!

Almost, the trough is moving SE - but very slowly - the pulses of rain travel NE along the trough.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Right!! I have everything set-up here now:) ( Here we go again lol) I'm hoping I haven't jinxed it now.

Still really windy and the convection looks a bit messy. But again I am optimistic due to the forecasts looking good for Chelt ( the land of * No Storms*) Lol :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Ah I see. So as the rain moves SE, the trough moves NE, bringing with it the CAPE, and lift. and they are heading for a collision over central, southern, and eastern England which is where the storms come into things. (Hope I've got that right)

I love these forums. Most forums "newbies" are always shouted at when they don't know much, but everyone here is so helpful and I've already learnt so much! Thanks guys!

Lol! Nah this is a cracking forum, great people on here and you learn loads!

If you haven't already, might I suggest signing up to the NW radar - it's cracking if you are a fan of storms, especially for the 5 min update and postcode zoom features!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, and Snow.

Right!! I have everything set-up here now:) ( Here we go again lol)  I'm hoping I haven't jinxed it now.

Still really windy and the convection looks a bit messy. But again I am optimistic due to the forecasts looking good for Chelt ( the land of * No Storms*) Lol :lol:

Fingers crossed for you!

Posted

Right!! I have everything set-up here now:) ( Here we go again lol) I'm hoping I haven't jinxed it now.

Still really windy and the convection looks a bit messy. But again I am optimistic due to the forecasts looking good for Chelt ( the land of * No Storms*) Lol :lol:

Best of luck JL!! :lol:

Not too sure I'll be celebrating much later (is that right Nick F??), but may get some flashes from any south coast storms tonight, which could be nice.

Posted

Thanks all. Just had a report of A black sky looming over Cleeve hill which is a couple minutes away Yay..Lovely and sunny here in my garden lol

Posted

Agree with you, Stuart. Wednesday 21st July (Or June in Coast's case! :lol: )

It does look like a potentially thundery day for much of the UK, but too early as yet to speculate. Surface Pressure Charts look promising though.

Maybe the Wednesday storms we never saw for the Midlands and Scotland, and maybe Sammie doesn't have to roll up in a ball and rock part II?

I still want to borrow Paul the Octopus! 30th July especially.

Phil.

Posted

Thanks all. Just had a report of A black sky looming over Cleeve hill which is a couple minutes away Yay..Lovely and sunny here in my garden lol

yes going out now heading for Lecky quarry to get a good view of the showers building in Wales..

doesnt look that interesting at present..but hopefully later

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted

Mmm got my eyes on that trough edging slowly in from the West. There's been a few sharp downpours so far today but also,

and very importantly given the trough approaching, plenty of warm sunshine to mean it's travelling over warm landmass.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Almost, the trough is moving SE - but very slowly - the pulses of rain travel NE along the trough.

Spot on, clearly the line of showers has shifted slowly SE over the last hour or so, though as steering winds are from the SW, the precipitation appears to be moving NE along the trough line.

You can see a wind shift behind the trough to a more westerly direction rather than southwesterly:

post-1052-000963600 1279282870_thumb.gif

i wonder if i will be a little too far s/e for the action?:lol:

the winds really got gusty here in the last 30 mins

The far SE may escape with a dry day though there is some showers developing ahead of trough, the trough is moving only slowly, storms more likely to form near trough and so mainly NW of London across Midlands and eastern England. Perhaps some showers early tonight in the SE as the trough moves through, but storms maybe less likely by then as solar input would've gone.

Posted

I am thinking I am too far north for anything today. Was planning on chasing towards Lincolnshire but looks like the trough would get there before me. Lincolnshire still looks a good bet for storms later though from what I have read on the various sites.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

There's a line of sharp showers to the west of Exeter that is inching slowly eastwards, and I think its southern flank will catch Exeter with only the extreme coastal fringe of the Exeter area missing out. I don't expect any thunder there though- probably a short sharp deluge.

Posted

Beautiful convection and Anvils are surrounding me! Pat, Look to Cleeve hill.

Posted

I am suprised by the lack of sferics over Wales thus far. Very heavy, locally torrential downpours have been on the radar for well over an hour here, coupled with orographic lift - but still nowt? :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

theres no hope after that then wintry showers?

Not judging by the current radar, but we can't say for definite because there is always the chance of showers sprouting up either side of the main band.

Posted

can see a Anvil here to my East looking from Leckhampton hills..

dont think here in Glos is going to get anything interesting as normal from current radar..

heading back to Chelt :cc_confused:

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Under those heavy pulses out west, nothing but rain:nonono: