Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Storm Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted

Very black to my West, looks like some very heavy rain in a narrow band soon to hit here. Will report any thundery activity as it hits, but nothing heard yet and the rains only a few minutes away.

Could this be the first thunder of 2010??

Edited by tornadomanuk

Posted

can see a Anvil here to my East looking from Leckhampton hills..

dont think here in Glos is going to get anything interesting as normal from current radar..

heading back to Chelt :cc_confused:

Call yourself a Storm Chaser ? Pah!

Get back out there Carter - You dont give up that easily, some nice Cells coming up from your South West, would leave the stuff alone to your North unless you want to get involved with Birmingham Rush Hour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Pat the stuff to your SW is already dropping sferics - edit: as confirmed by tornadomanuk as i was typing.

Is the rain across the Midlands likely to turn thundery or is it the stuff over Devon that are the storms talked about in the Convective Outlook?

Not that Bradford is in with a chance at either but if the stuff to my south is going to turn thundery then may take a trip that way.

Edited by Supacell

Pat the stuff to your SW is already dropping sferics - edit: as confirmed by tornadomanuk as i was typing.

Is the rain across the Midlands likely to turn thundery or is it the stuff over Devon that are the storms talked about in the Convective Outlook?

Not that Bradford is in with a chance at either but if the stuff to my south is going to turn thundery then may take a trip that way.

We've been on the northern edge of that Midlands rain for some time now and so far no sferics.

I'll keep you posted though :cc_confused:

Posted

Its still not overly 'productive' unleashing lightning/thunder every 4/5 minutes at most and no hail to mention of. Might become more of a feature as it trundles eastwards during the afternoon.

Posted

Had a nice heavy shower here.. but the worst missed to the north. Didn't hear any thunder from it I'm probably just too far away. Sun coming out at times now and feels quite warm. A few towers trying to go up.

Posted

Call yourself a Storm Chaser ? Pah!

Get back out there Carter - You dont give up that easily, some nice Cells coming up from your South West, would leave the stuff alone to your North unless you want to get involved with Birmingham Rush Hour.

:cc_confused:

I have to pick up Sue at 4.00pm...

then if it looks interesting will go back out..

saying that there is some lovely Anvils now towards our S/W

Posted

Yay first thunder of 2010 at last!!, Rain still not quite here yet but rumbling very nicly

Yay for you TMuk :cc_confused: !

Now just make sure you let it keep some intensity for here.

I'm a little worried because there's torrential near Bristol/Bath and over S.Somerset with the linking

rain much lighter at the moment. My hope is that the torrential will run far enough NE along the trough

that it will hit here, rather than miss by a few miles to the South.

The next hour or so will reveal all!!

Posted

That one took me by surprise! One big rumble of thunder and a lot heavy rain here from that line.

Posted

i will go back out mate if there is a night light show

Edited by Pat Carter

Posted

We've been on the northern edge of that Midlands rain for some time now and so far no sferics.

I'll keep you posted though :cc_confused:

Thanks Steve.

Have noticed a shower around Redditch/Stratford that is intensifying as it pushes NE. Could turn thundery soon.

Posted

Just clearing East from here now, great cloud structure on the back-edge. Still not producing a great amount of Sferics (sorry to disappoint (Andy B!)). Distant towers trying to form into something in the far west.

Keep an eye on the far southern edge of the showery rain currently lying across the Midlands (south of Birmingham stretching west to the Welsh border). It will track up to Lincolnshire during the evening hours. In my opinion this is the area to watch out for for any funnels/tornadoes. The radar is developing nicely.

Edited by Steve Vincent

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Just showery rain...another damp squib for me I'm afraid...apart from the temperature, its no different to your average wet & windy dreary winter's day

a quick edit...I see thundery showers are breaking out to my east, going away from me....Jeez, what is it about this dump?....happens every time....hmm, think I might move to Jupiter, apparently some lively storms there...lol

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

First thunderstorm of the year here! Had three flashes of forked lightning a several loud cracks of thunder. Not that much rain however, 2.0mm has fallen and rain is easing. Wind dropped right back after the first rumble.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Sadly as usual ,it all seems to be going around me according to the radar grrrrrr:(

Posted

There is a very dark cloud about to hit us at Warwick Uni, looks like it'll product some very heavy downpours.

Won't be surprised if it produces the odd rumble as it travels further East

Posted

On radar those line of strong showers that past through here seem to be losing some intensity, then on the other hand new cells seem to develop quite rapidly back towards my West (Mid Devon). Certainly not what i was expecting according to forecasts/charts, but its still early and still have a few hours for intensifying.

Edited by tornadomanuk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

5 minutes of allegedly 'moderate' rain, and thats it....some trough! :cc_confused: ......Still, it looks like other places in the midlands are ending their storm drought today

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

waiting for it to come to us...