Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

General Storm Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

hi every one , radar really active now storms some real thunderstorms soon developing i think...

not sure what turn up here.

theres more showers heading into the sw from the sea and just south of ireland i see a development of shrs clouds swinging down towards the sw to, and french storms to keep going through night they say.

so whats this about 2cm hailstorms across south coast and inland se england tonight ? :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Rain and a loud rumble of thunder here in Nuneaton

That heavy cell that just hit you is heading straight for LE3 according to the Net Weather radar. It's gone a bit dark here now, I expect the heavens to open up soon.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Sferics showing with quite potent cell near Coventry.

Quite a marked wind shift across Midlands and SW England along sfc trough, be interesting if we get any tornado or funnel reports this afternoon.

In fact, two distinct SW-NE lines of showers - perhaps the more S'erly line of showers either the sfc trough or an outlfow boundary of the trough to the NW or the line to the NW the effects of an upper trough, the most southerly line perhaps the area most likely to see a funnel or weak tornado.

Posted

LOL it now looks possible that the heaviest may miss to the North as earlier cells have died a little.

But of course they may reintensify too, plenty of sunshine just ahead of the downpours at the moment and

a lovely anvil appearance with dark base on the Western skyline.

Posted

currently on a high spot looking to the horizon and can see barely anything. looks like the big stuff is heading to lincolnshire

Posted

Sferics showing with quite potent cell near Coventry.

Quite a marked wind shift across Midlands and SW England along sfc trough, be interesting if we get any tornado or funnel reports this afternoon.

In fact, two distinct SW-NE lines of showers - perhaps the more S'erly line of showers either the sfc trough or an outlfow boundary of the trough to the NW or the line to the NW the effects of an upper trough, the most southerly line perhaps the area most likely to see a funnel or weak tornado.

That cell that has just come out of Cov and is heading towards Leicester is the only good thing to have come out of Coventry :clap:

Just kidding :D

There is a 22mm an hour intensity shower heading straight for my postcode, it is windy aswell, if we get blown away by a tornado I shall... Not let you know because our house will be gone :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

couple of sat images-

post-11361-009851100 1279293448_thumb.pn

post-11361-093094300 1279293451_thumb.pn

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, and Snow.

currently on a high spot looking to the horizon and can see barely anything. looks like the big stuff is heading to lincolnshire

Hello,

There is a long line approaching us gradually from the west - you'll need to be looking at this for when it gets near.

It is currently to the west of Northampton, running downwards towards the Swindon and Bristol areras...

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Yep, just a short moderate, breezy spell of rain just a short while ago. A nice looking shower east of Birmingham currently, which has been reported to have had some thunder activity. Looking at radar and going by the general direction showers are moving in, I get the feeling parts of eastern England and further north over Lincolnshire have a good chance of catching a few thunderstorms. Peak energy period around this time, so next few hours will be interesting.

The soutrhern part of the line is developing over Worcestershire and will affect just east of Brum, along with developments east of this over the east midlands.

That cell that has just come out of Cov and is heading towards Leicester is the only good thing to have come out of Coventry :clap:

There is a 22mm an hour intensity shower heading straight for my postcode, it is windy aswell, if we get blown away by a tornado I shall... Not let you know because our house will be gone :lol:

Specials were nt too bad.

Edited by Tonyh

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Slowly she drifts W to E - generally the London area/NW Kent (the area of personal interest) does quite well from these weather features...just whether or not it will keep some punch by the time it reaches here!

@JL - :clap:

Posted

And Lady Godiva.

That storm is developing an interesting shape as it heads towards Leicester.

Posted
met office warning better get ready for the deluge...

Posted

And Lady Godiva.

That storm is developing an interesting shape as it heads towards Leicester.

:lol:

Well it's raining heavy now but so far I have not heard any thunder :clap:

Posted

very cold pool upper temp at 500 cross southern england tonight (-20/25)

what effect is this going to have on the shrs - is this why hail could occur? thanks

post-11361-002403900 1279294291_thumb.pn

Posted

Liam and Guys in the South East - You are going to have a Long Long Wait I am afraid - These not looking like affecting anywhere near the SE Region.

In Fact Weather Warning just put out for Lincs and East Midlands for Thunderstorms this evening. :clap:

If I had the Time I would be hot footing it up the A1 For this evening

Paul S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supernova hot summers with mega lightning storms, and SNOWMAGGEDON WINTERS!

f3.jpg

Andy's-house in about 3 minutes... :D

Posted

Hello,

There is a long line approaching us gradually from the west - you'll need to be looking at this for when it gets near.

It is currently to the west of Northampton, running downwards towards the Swindon and Bristol areras...

hopefully might develop more on its journey here.

normally from fen drayton i can see the tops of towers or darker skies as far as MK and northampton, but a cant see anything yet. :clap:

sure it'll jump out soon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Wow!! the sky around me has gone crazy with convection the sun is really strong too! Does this mean I may get something later? Oh Please, please let me have one lol. I'm not going to give up yet:)

Posted

Liam and Guys in the South East - You are going to have a Long Long Wait I am afraid - These not looking like affecting anywhere near the SE Region.

In Fact Weather Warning just put out for Lincs and East Midlands for Thunderstorms this evening. :lol:

If I had the Time I would be hot footing it up the A1 For this evening

Paul S

hope not , tho its looking that way , but i see something for later tonight moving a long southern counties into the se..at least a chance anyway.. :clap: need a storm.. Edited by nimbilus

Posted

Jane, do you have NW Extra radar. Very interesting to see how the cells have developed/died/redeveloped through the pm.

Certainly could help you see what may happen later. The one which gave TMuk, Somerset Squall and Goatherd the thunder

has almost completely died in the hour to get this far.

So narrow is the initial line that as it crossed here with a short shower I could see clear sky to the East and the

clearance to the West lol.

The sun is just coming out again from the anvil cloud which has slight mammatus beneath it, however there are clear towers

shooting up to the West and the radar shows more cells developing over the Somerset area.

Posted

Im going to threaten to join the no storms club, then the cells to the southwest might just edge a little further east, Cluching at large straws here :clap:

EDIT , they are falling apart :lol:

Edited by remymartin

Posted

Im going to threaten to join the no storms club, then the cells to the southwest might just edge a little further east, Cluching at large straws here :clap:

EDIT , they are falling apart :lol:

I think we are going to have to join it mate sad.gif

Posted

I enjoyed the cov/nuneaton/bedworth/hinckley->leicester/loughborough cell. It went quickly and it was not quite as intense for me as Id expected via the radar, but I think the very heart of it was just very slightly to my south & east as it went by. Only heard two long thunder roars as it passed overhead. Couldnt see its shape as by the time I saw it approaching it was just a menacing grey sky. I have recorded some of it leaving and will have a look later to see if there any any interesting shapes to be seen.

Im now waiting to see if I get hit with the band that is slightly futher north-west, its changing shape quite a bit as it passes Birmingham so Im not sure what I will get yet.