Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

General Storm Discussion Thread

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Hah, I would have been really amazed if that thing was rotating, I sometimes have dreams about a tornado hopefully not a premonition.

Looks like an anvil heading Folkestone way but its hidden behind cumulus. Looks like a storm out to sea too. Why are most of the showers pepping up once they get just offshore?

I also have tornado dreams, they are AWESOME...I'm always trying to run into the tornado. I had one just the other night too. They always seem to be cyclical supercells, that drop multiple tornadoes one after the other.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Will I ever get some kind of storm this year?! PLEASE - JUST ONE!!! Then I had an idea......

In my boredom at the total lack of atmospheric activity, I have constructed new lyrics to a famous advert, which ties in with Summer, Ice Cream and Storms (or lack of, as is the case is at the moment!!) - how sad am I....... :lol: hahahaha

Sing to the "Just One Cornetto" theme::lol:

"Just one thunderstorm

Give it to me

It's so annoying

I want to scream

Now I so want to see

A massive thunderstorm

That lasts one week!"

Wishful thinking!! :lol:

Posted

All keep your fingers crossed and wish your bestest wish that Wednesday comes to something for someone!!

MU_London_avn.png

gfs_cape_eur36.png

gfs_icape_eur36.png

gfs_kili_eur36.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

All keep your fingers crossed and wish your bestest wish that Wednesday comes to something for someone!!

Thanks Coast :)Fingers crossed again lol. Good luck to you and all :lol:

Posted

I am keeping my fingers cross here to :lol:

Wednesday:

Rather showery, the showers possibly heavy at times with a risk of hail and the odd rumble of thunder:(

Edited by Stuart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Saturday doesn't look too shabby either based on that chart above, Coast! :lol:

Ironically, the last storms we had at the start of June was when I was on a drunken night out (Saturday) in Medway. This Saturday, I am on for a drunken night out in medway...the parallels lol :lol:

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Risk is confined to the south tomorrow on the 06z run. No surprise to have it downgrade here! Lets hope the risk returns. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Could cloud cover inhibit convection across the E/SE tomorrow?

Posted

Don't think cloud cover will be much of an issue for S'ern and SE'ern counties of England tomorrow afternoon. Conditions on current model output look favourable for the development of heavy showers and thunderstorms over these areas. Little uncertain regarding part of E'ern England given the uncertainty of where best unstable conditions will be. Just have to wait for further model runs.

Yes, things are still changing quite a bit at the moment. Would wait until tomorrow to firm this up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Some sferics already showing across Norfolk recently. I wonder if TWS has heard anything?

Going on holiday at the moment- I came up to Cleadon in Tyne and Wear on the train yesterday, and I saw the convection sprout up over East Anglia between 11am and 2pm while travelling across East Anglia on the bus and train- didn't notice any thundery activity, but there were some sharp showers about. Further north it was rather calmer. I don't think I missed much though barring at most a few heavy downpours and the odd rumble.

Posted
  • Location: Bedworth , 5 Miles North Of Coventry , 3 Miles South Of Nuneaton
  • Location: Bedworth , 5 Miles North Of Coventry , 3 Miles South Of Nuneaton

Risk is confined to the south tomorrow on the 06z run. No surprise to have it downgrade here! Lets hope the risk returns. :whistling:

Latest Met Office update offers little encouragement to you

Wednesday:

A band of occasionally heavy rain will move through southern England with thundery showers in its wake. Elsewhere there will be occasional showers, possibly thundery in Scotland.

looks like you may miss out unless you take a day trip down south or things change

Edited by Gordon

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

What happened to my post? , this forum is so bad for that :whistling:

I'll repeat it

Thermohaline Conveyor wrote:

RISK of Thunderstorms increasing on Wednesday for Southern and South Eastern England and perhaps the Midlands. A short-wave passes through with lowering geopotential and cooling aloft. A cold front swings through during the passage of this short-wave introducing dynamic lifting. Their does exist some potential for the odd stronger storms too and were a convergence line does set-up the SLIGHT RISK of a funnel. Areas most at risk at this early stage are Hampshire, Berksire, London Areas, Surrey and parts of Sussex - although the extent could well be a little more widespread. Their remains some divergence in the model guidance with regards to specifics, so I'll issue a final update later this evening.

http://theweatheroutlook.com/twocommunity/default.aspx?g=posts&t=1148

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

so good to see some exciting charts again :) so wednesday and saturday i have a good chance of a rumbler..an interesting week/next 7days to come

Edited by nimbilus

Posted

so good to see some exciting charts again :)

But don't get too excited yet...... Caution is this years watch word! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Surrey-Wed 15:00 19 °c 4 mph 259 j/kg -2 V Light 27 % 10 mph

West Sussex-Wed 15:00 19 °c 4 mph 825 j/kg -4 Light 63 % 10 mph

Bristol-Wed 12:00 18 °c 5 mph 697 j/kg -3 V Light 61 % 10 mph

London-Wed 15:00 19 °c 4 mph 259 j/kg -2 V Light 27 % 10 mph

Central Scotland-Wed 12:00 17 °c 7 mph 330 j/kg -1 V Light 62 % 13 mph

Kent-Wed 15:00 18 °c 6 mph 288 j/kg -2 V Light 39 % 10 mph

Cornwall-Wed 6:00/9:00(data about same for times) 18 °c 13 mph 171 j/kg -1 V Light 49 % 24 mph

Dublin-Wed 15:00 17 °c 13 mph 165 j/kg -1 V Light 0 % 24 mph

Cumbria-Wed 12:00/15:00(data about same for times) 16 °c 7 mph 455 j/kg -2 V Light 60 % 14 mph

East Sussex-Wed 15:00 18 °c 8 mph 714 j/kg -4 Light 72 % 11 mph

East Yorkshire-Wed 15:00 17 °c 7 mph 303 j/kg -2 V Light 53 % 17 mph

Dorset-Wed 12:00 19 °c 5 mph 912 j/kg -4 V Light 68 % 10 mph

Wed 15:00 19 °c 7 mph 814 j/kg -3 Light 45 % 20 mph

West Yorkshire-Wed 15:00 18 °c 7 mph 196 j/kg -1 V Light 30 % 18 mph

Hampshire-Wed 12:00/15:00(data about same for times) 18 °c 5 mph 341 j/kg -2 V Light 46 % 9 mph

Suffolk-Wed 15:00 18 °c 5 mph 120 j/kg -1 V Light 13 % 13 mph

Norfolk-Wed 15:00 17 °c 9 mph 233 j/kg -1 V Light 59 % 15 mph

IOW -Wed 12:00 18 °c 5 mph 728 j/kg -4 V Light 71 % 10 mph

-Wed 15:00 18 °c 5 mph 755 j/kg -4 Light 61 % 12 mph

Lancashire Wed 12:00 16 °c 11 mph 103 j/kg -1 V Light 39 % 19 mph

Leicestershire=Wed 12:00 18 °c 9 mph 108 j/kg -1 V Light 44 % 16 mph

South Gloucestershire-Wed 9:00 17 °c 4 mph 467 j/kg -2 V Light 52 % 10 mph

Wed 12:00 18 °c 5 mph 697 j/kg -3 V Light 61 % 10 mph

Wed 15:00 18 °c 7 mph 358 j/kg -2 V Light 33 % 18 mph

PICKED A FEW FROM MANY --DATA FROM MET CHECK :)

Edited by nimbilus

Posted

Interesting past 20 minutes here! Some pretty ominous clouds pushed in from the W a short while ago, with thick, lowered cloud bases with a slight greenish colour further up. Brought with it some large raindrops for a short period. Looking E now and the clouds look pretty mean. Looks like a shower may be trying to develop on back of the occlusion moving E across the country currently.

Same thing here. Infact it developed here but as usual no rain. Still very ominous to my East.

Posted

Those ominous clouds of which you speak made it go rather dark here and we got some reasonable rain for a few minutes.

Posted

Surrey-Wed 15:00 19 °c 4 mph 259 j/kg -2 V Light 27 % 10 mph

Dorset-Wed 12:00 19 °c 5 mph 912 j/kg -4 V Light 68 % 10 mph

Wed 15:00 19 °c 7 mph 814 j/kg -3 Light 45 % 20 mph

18 mph

PICKED A FEW FROM MANY --DATA FROM MET CHECK :acute:

Just goes to show a j/kg here a j/kg there, dont make no difference, There still aint no sodding storm(pardon my french) down here in Dorset, in fact there aint no rain neither, or is that neether

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Interesting past 20 minutes here! Some pretty ominous clouds pushed in from the W a short while ago, with thick, lowered cloud bases with a slight greenish colour further up. Brought with it some large raindrops for a short period. Looking E now and the clouds look pretty mean. Looks like a shower may be trying to develop on back of the occlusion moving E across the country currently.

Had a bit of that whilst working this evening in Worcester...A few large drops of rain, along with dark clouds with low bases, but as this is the West Midlands, I basically ignored it because we don't get storms... :acute:

Posted

I clocked that one mate. Plenty of mammatus and very dark skies. Nothing on radar however to suggest any thundery activity.

But a short (and I mean S H O R T!) spell of a few large raindrops. With diurnal heating now all but gone, I can't see anything else occuring out of it. But it was the most threatening looking sky I've seen for a good month or so,

Phil.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Totally wasn't expecting to see those kind of skies today, so decided to take a couple of pictures of that approaching shower. And I got to admit it did bring along with it some impressive looking cloud bases with some Cumulus Mammatus (edit: same as Phil UK) upon the shower's apporach: :acute:

post-10703-098315500 1280866406_thumb.pn

The dark stormy low level cloud base here took on quite a dirty-dark greeny brown appearance. Was absolutely amazing!

post-10703-073602600 1280866532_thumb.pn

Edited by Rainbow Snow

Posted

Just had an unexpected heavy downpour from them ominous looking dark clouds but no thunder.