Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Central Southern England - Cold Spell Discussion Part 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

"December 2010 is every bit as cold and snowy as the worst December of the 20th Century - 1981 - and it could well turn out to be the coldest December since 1890." http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12042733

Interesting article debunking our "modern winters" theory, GLTW. Don't believe a word of it, mind! :girl_devil:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Evening all,

I hate this awful rain!!! I have to say I was delighted to be at work today (Chilworth at bottom of M3) - it snowed beautifully for a few hours, really heavy sometimes too - the office closed early as it was really coming down and I got back to Pompey to rain. :nonono: And it's still raining...... to make matters worse, imagine how much snow that would have produced (oh those further inland don't have to imagine lol) Ahr well, a night of the soaps for me instead :smiliz19:

Edited by slb97

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

Still 2.7 degrees for us Poole boys! I just hope it drops quick enough before that precip gets itself over here, otherwise its off to the hardware store for a snow machine

Posted

Still 2.7 degrees for us Poole boys! I just hope it drops quick enough before that precip gets itself over here, otherwise its off to the hardware store for a snow machine

They sell snow machines in Poole? shok.gif

Can't deny that the place might need them... whistling.gif

Posted

Evening all,

I hate this awful rain!!! I have to say I was delighted to be at work today (Chilworth at bottom of M3) - it snowed beautifully for a few hours, really heavy sometimes too - the office closed early as it was really coming down and I got back to Pompey to rain. :nonono: And it's still raining...... to make matters worse, imagine how much snow that would have produced (oh those further inland don't have to imagine lol) Ahr well, a night of the soaps for me instead :smiliz19:

Yes the difference between the coasts and driving just a few miles inland is just crazy during this cold spell.From virtually nothing here to inches of the stuff inland plus temps at least 7 degress colder inland.Its like we are living in a different country :(

I've given up of seeing any decent snow this cold spell,at least the last one produced one substantial fall of snow on the coast even if the snow on the ground lasted less than 48 hours due to the wind suddenly swtiching onshore :doh:

Edited by Mole

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny summers, cold and snowy winters. Traditional seasons please!

Fairly heavy snow shower outside right now! And, as I finished the last of the christmas shopping this afternoon :smiliz19:, I'd be happy for this to continue all evening! Any chance of that?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

i must congratulate the met office on their spot on forecast for us!!snow followed by very heavy rain for the afternoon!! well done guys keep up the great work!! my hat is off for you all :hi:

Posted

There's been some strange, rapid temperature changes, temperature going up and down by 1/2 deg in a few minutes each time. Currently 1.8 and still raining a bit. Most of the snow has gone now.

The wind is more noticable from the east now, so I expect the temp will start to fall.

In spite of the wash out on the coast here, I sense we haven't completely finished with the snow here, the winds are going to be more NE for the next few days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms and extreme weather

what a day! drove from Amesbury to Southampton via Salisbury and back through Romsey, Stockbridge and Grateley and think it is probably the most mixed and difficult conditions I've ever driven in.

Amesbury to Salisbury wasn't too bad, wet snow, heavy in places with some settling but no real travel issues, it was only as I left Salisbury and headed down the A36 that the snow became a real issue and I considered turning back, but traffic was nose to tail and crawling. Langford was the worst area on this road with deep slush and snow on the road, a car had managed to flip and land in a hedge near here too.

Almost at the M27 and it was clearly raining heavily instead of snowing, surface water became the issue and the B&Q car park was a mix of slush over ice, difficult to drive on and even harder to stand up on.

As the A36 had been so bad I came back via Romsey / Stockbridge. Not the best idea, these roads were quieter and also the temps were lower on this route so snow was sticking to the roads and becoming compacted.

Stockbridge to Grateley and on out the the A303 was a slow crawl on packed ice and snow and the slippest driving of the whole journey, at one point gravity took hold while stationary and the car went sideways without me having any say in it. Thankfully an oncoming motorist spotted me slowly sliding sideways and waited until I managed to move forward and rejoin my side of the road.

All in all one heck of a day and to top it all I need to make a similar journey tomorrow, only Westward instead.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: storms and extreme weather

anyone think the heavy radar echo currently out in the channel just south of Weymouth might make it into our area tonight to produce more snow or are they just going to skirt along the coast and perhaps affect Kent

Posted

anyone think the heavy radar echo currently out in the channel just south of Weymouth might make it into our area tonight to produce more snow or are they just going to skirt along the coast and perhaps affect Kent

I've been nosing on the sw thread and that's been mentioned over there. Not sure if it's too warm by the coast now :-(

Posted

Doubt it would come into land here and even if it did it would be rain with a current temp of 2.7C, unless of course we had a dramatic temperature drop like on the Day after Tomorrow. :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

Doubt it would come into land here and even if it did it would be rain with a current temp of 2.7C, unless of course we had a dramatic temperature drop like on the Day after Tomorrow. :rofl:

that heavy precipitation is heading for us no doubt but if its snow i will run naked up shanklin high street!! the temps are just too high here!!good luck further up!!:crazy:

Posted

Looks like it's heading for the Isle of Wight. Temp here is Southampton is falling to close to freezing, but if it clouds over most likely it will rise, so I doubt if it'll snow from that.

Posted

that heavy precipitation is heading for us no doubt but if its snow i will run naked up shanklin high street!! the temps are just too high here!!good luck further up!!:crazy:

Yes, looking at it again it looks like it will hit the IOW anyway,still I don't want any more rain. :nonono::angry:

Haha see I've been beaten to it again.

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Has anyone else noticed on the satellite images that this little blob in the channel looks to be part of a little low? there is something of a pattern to the clouds, particularly at the 20:00 image and also how the precip on raintoday seems to be following a similar form. of course i could simply be going a bit mad. its been one of those days...

Posted

Has anyone else noticed on the satellite images that this little blob in the channel looks to be part of a little low? there is something of a pattern to the clouds, particularly at the 20:00 image and also how the precip on raintoday seems to be following a similar form. of course i could simply be going a bit mad. its been one of those days...

Possibly is part of some system - posters on the south eastern thread seem to think so.

They've tracked it's trajectory NE - hitting Southampton, Farnborough - Heathrow... etc

Whether it hits land as snow though is another thing - temp is just bouncing between -0.4 / -0.2 at the mo (same with the DP)

Possibly not long till it hits the west of the IOW (it's really growing in intensity, but looks to be pretty fast moving) - would be interesting to know if it hits you lot as snow or plain rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Yes, looking at it again it looks like it will hit the IOW anyway,still I don't want any more rain. :nonono::angry:

Haha see I've been beaten to it again.

Hey CF

Hows you?

Yep rain and rain and rain and rain in brighton this afternoon, this evening....rubbish. I reckon that little low will be rain though.

Oh BBC news is on about the coldness of the climate at the weather and the science behind it? Nicely though they are saying that they are having problems on the continent...including Moscow...etc etc...

I dont think too much infrastructure needed just maybe better advice and a change of behaviour from people to take action when snow is likely? i.e. allow winter tires, take heed of the warnings, business encourage work from home, and everyone to be on Netweather to try and understand things better!! :whistling: ..

oh and guess what apparently this weather has affected my orange network in the area and there is "congestion" on the network so I cant recieve calls at the mo..I can call out but no one can text me or phone me!! how does that work?

Edited by Polar Bear

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Any news from the IOW yet-it must be almost there?

radar is saying not yet and it looks to be.........................................rain....:cray:

( I did try to post a shot of the radar but I am getting errors in posting)

Posted
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL
  • Location: Atherfield, 0.8 km from SW coast, Isle of Wight, 35m ASL

Yes - sorry but it is rain - Brighstone, south west coast.

Any news from the IOW yet-it must be almost there?

Posted

Well, I've just got back from a week in Ireland (with the inlaws in west Cork, no snow - it never does there) and seem to have missed a lot of the fun. We got the one and only flight form Cork to Heathrow today (the rest were all cancelled) and got in about 2 hours late. We have about 2 inches of snow on the ground here in Reading and a few flakes have been falling this evening; last night's minimum of -9.4 is the lowest I can remember since 1987 (I was in Southampton then and it touched -10 there on January 12).