Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Central Southern England - Cold Spell Discussion Part 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Winter. Dry cool Summers

Mornin' All, it was quite interesting to see the difference this morning between where I live (on the heath) and the centre of Bournemouth. Whilst our area is still loaded with slush and yesterday's aftermath, Bournemouth looks really clear and no wonder my one son said "Looking good" and my other son said "Is that it?", and they are only 5miles apart that's how marginal it was yesterday.

Its your 39m ASL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:smiliz64:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

feels very mild on the iow this morning!! just rain for us if anything comes our way!:p

Posted

Good morning people! 0.4 c here and we still (miraculously) have some snow on the ground. Not been outside yet mind and don't really plan to.

Interesting to see that little development move up the channel through the night. Certainly didn't expect that, but I think that reflects the winter to date. Don't get disappointed as you never know what's around the corner. Something seems to come up with nigh on impeccable timing. I can't forget the last dumping at the beginning of the month where only a few flakes of snow were forecast at 7am, yet come 4pm weather warnings were issued and we had 6 inches.

Also did I hear rumblings of this potentially being the coldest December on record?

The near future still looks cold I think so even if you are hovering around 1c don't despair.

Posted

Morning, It has been snowing lightly here for the last half an hour. maybe a sign of things to come later for the oxfordshire area?:whistling:

Posted

I have to admit that the models are now pointing to a warmer spell of weather next week, but I'm with a lot of people on here in that it would be nice to be able to walk normally again.

In the short term the BBC are still talking about this little band of snow that may sink itself south tonight. Probably one to watch on the radar and presumably it will involve the north of our region.

Unless this does come steaming south I'm checking out for now.

Happy Xmas to one and all

Posted

I have to admit that the models are now pointing to a warmer spell of weather next week, but I'm with a lot of people on here in that it would be nice to be able to walk normally again.

In the short term the BBC are still talking about this little band of snow that may sink itself south tonight. Probably one to watch on the radar and presumably it will involve the north of our region.

Unless this does come steaming south I'm checking out for now.

Happy Xmas to one and all

Not too sure, the models do show mild air coming in but it now looks like it isn't going to last for long, or even effect some areas of the UK. In fact boxing day looks absoloutley bitter at the moment with lots of PPN but we'll have to wait and see. Got a feeling we're going to see much more distruption before the winters out.

Posted

Not too sure, the models do show mild air coming in but it now looks like it isn't going to last for long, or even effect some areas of the UK. In fact boxing day looks absoloutley bitter at the moment with lots of PPN but we'll have to wait and see. Got a feeling we're going to see much more distruption before the winters out.

With the warm up, I was looking at a couple of days beyond (see attachment) but you could argue that is outside the reliable time frame, and you'd be right.

Yes boxing day still looks a tad nippy but I don't see much precip about over the weekend?? Possibly late boxing day into monday?

Total agreement on your last sentence.

post-9274-0-13711000-1292932850_thumb.pn

Posted

With the warm up, I was looking at a couple of days beyond (see attachment) but you could argue that is outside the reliable time frame, and you'd be right.

Yes boxing day still looks a tad nippy but I don't see much precip about over the weekend?? Possibly late boxing day into monday?

Total agreement on your last sentence.

sorry - didn't make that clear, yep i was refering to late into boxing day and into the bank holiday.

on our local weather station site it's given us a 30% chance through to a 50% chance of snow during monday night into monday. Although i'm not sure how acurate that thing ever is.

Posted
  • Location: Six-toe county (The Poole-Bournemouth-Christchurch megatropolis)
  • Location: Six-toe county (The Poole-Bournemouth-Christchurch megatropolis)

Morning all

Still clinging onto some slush here. Visited a few customers last night and the roads weren't too bad, so long as you were careful. Interestingly, where there were junctions from ungritted side roads the slush and ice tended to get dragged out onto the main road making it very slippy but only in sparse patches. For instance, for anybody that knows the area, Queen Anne Drive/Magna road had a patch coming out of the Hamworthy Club. Hit it and immediately I felt a small lateral slide.

It leaves you in a quandry because the speed that I judge to be safe is slower than the speed that about 60% of the idiots round here seem to want to go. The roads aren't particularly dangerous but the clods driving other cars clearly are. Nearly all of the cars I've seen coming to the exit of ungritted side roads over the last 24 hours have had their front wheels locked up and quite a few have overshot the line. I get really angry about this - I mean are they completely oblivious that they're out of control? WTF, they seem to do it junction after junction. Yet, I also saw a car slowly approaching a juction get rammed from behind by a car that was going too fast to ever stop anyway. What is wrong with people round here? Argghhhhhhh!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

It leaves you in a quandry because the speed that I judge to be safe is slower than the speed that about 60% of the idiots round here seem to want to go.

I feel like this all the time (apart from on m-ways) lol!

My hubby's colleague worked into work in Pompey during the snow earlier this month and he had to cross a bridge over the M27. He saw someone joining the motorway, causing an articulated lorry to slam on and sound his horn. The poor lorry driver lost control of the trailer which slewed out and hit the central reservation, ending up sideways across the carriageway. Hours of misery for the people behind the lorry, and the git who caused the problem sailed without a clue about the chaos s/he had caused!

Posted

Hi all. Talking of the idiots out there and the dangerous conditions on the roads just a reminder for those who are not aware of the law. It is an offence to drive with a considered level of snow on the roof of your car. It carries a £60 on the spot fine and a possible 3 points on your license so be aware. Safe driving all.

Posted

Few Snow Flurries Here In Oxford, Looks like the clouds are moving north westwards, which means we would miss out :(

Owell, Enjoy the snow currently -0.4 here in Headington,Oxford. Dew Point @0.5c

Mark Neal,

Headington,Oxford

Edited by Mark Neal

Posted

Its amazing how much of a difference there is in the temps. Down on the coast here we are pushing 2c and yet Oxford has -0.4 and up north and into yonder they havent seen much more than -3 to -5 all day. Not sure when the cold will begin moving back down again. My initial thought was overnight tonight, but can anyone shed any light?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

It may not result to much (famous last words) but guys n gals need to be keeping an eye on the radars again.

The above only really applies to inland (!) parts of the region, select places for snowfall judging by current radar look to be those in the area between Oxford and Basingstoke, also due east of there, Alton, Petersfield etc. :smiliz34:

It is in the developmental stage so anything could happen once again. :whistling:

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny summers, cold and snowy winters. Traditional seasons please!

It may not result to much (famous last words) but guys n gals need to be keeping an eye on the radars again.

The above only really applies to inland (!) parts of the region, select places for snowfall judging by current radar look to be those in the area between Oxford and Basingstoke, also due east of there, Alton, Petersfield etc. :smiliz34:

It is in the developmental stage so anything could happen once again. :whistling:

Kind Regards

gottolovethisweather

Heavy snizzle here and my village is stuck on the side of Alton, so good call there!

Edit: And now it's stopped!! :smiliz46:

But there seems to be a lot of cloud developing over here, according to raintoday. So I'll keep peeking out the window!

Edited by lynnsim

Posted

Snowing here in Maidenhead moderately, wasn't expecting this at all. I wonder how much it will snow, looks like something unexpected might be cropping up on the radar. 0.7 outside at the moment. Mild!

Posted

We've been hovering at about 1.2C all day (night wasn't much colder either), not much higher, and the ground is still snow covered, although the rain and temperature means it's not the 5 inches we had. 0.8C currently.

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Hi all. Talking of the idiots out there and the dangerous conditions on the roads just a reminder for those who are not aware of the law. It is an offence to drive with a considered level of snow on the roof of your car. It carries a £60 on the spot fine and a possible 3 points on your license so be aware. Safe driving all.

The bit in italics is not really true - there is no such offence, though a police officer might (quite rightly) consider it driving without due care & attention (or something similar). A large shelf of solid snow sliding off on to your windscreen (if you're braking), or on to a following car (if driving fast) can and does cause real problems, as many have found recently. There is no evidence that the police are particularly targeting this, however, - the rumour of a specific offence derives from a text of uncertain origin that has been doing the rounds.

But you're absolutely right that it is a significant safety issue, and the thoughtful, considerate and non-lazy driver should always clear any large amount off before setting off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 24 degrees clear skies in summer, -24 degrees clear skies in winter

Rather quiet on here today, any thoughts on tonights snowfall?? How far south will it progress?

Posted

Looking decidedly un-winter like here in Southsea & we didn't even get a frost last night! Overnight minimum was 2C & today has been 3C :whistling:

No chance of snow for many of us in this region for the forseeable future, except perhaps those in the far north (Oxfordshire,Buckinghamshire).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Winter. Dry cool Summers

Rather quiet on here today, any thoughts on tonights snowfall?? How far south will it progress?

The fact its quite in here is the clue.

Oxford looks about as South as it will get and thats pushing it a bit.

Depends which model you want to go with but East Midlands looks good on one and Warwickshire and west Midlands looks good on the other. Still trying to find a model that shows the south might get some but may need to draw that one myself.

Good Luck to those in the North of the region.:smiliz19:

Posted

The bit in italics is not really true - there is no such offence, though a police officer might (quite rightly) consider it driving without due care & attention (or something similar). A large shelf of solid snow sliding off on to your windscreen (if you're braking), or on to a following car (if driving fast) can and does cause real problems, as many have found recently. There is no evidence that the police are particularly targeting this, however, - the rumour of a specific offence derives from a text of uncertain origin that has been doing the rounds.

But you're absolutely right that it is a significant safety issue, and the thoughtful, considerate and non-lazy driver should always clear any large amount off before setting off.

Well you can tell the muppets that haven't seen snow down here in this area, they cleared nothing off their cars, and peered through minuscule gaps they managed to scrape out of their windscreens.

Dozy idiots, try that in the US or Canada and they the old bill do get well and truly angry about it, and so they should.

Rant over

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

There appears to be no snow forecast for Bognor for at least a fortnight, wonder if that will be the case or if after a week things may change. Sad to see the snow gone and if it was warm I wouldn't mind so much but it is really cold outside. In fact it feels colder at 1.5C because of the dampness than it did at a few degrees below that when it was dry. Ah well such is life. :cray:

Be back when we get another chance of snow. IF we do.

Posted

The feature that ran across the south yesterday has really has introduced less cold air.It was -8 here at lunchtime yesterday but it's only -0.4 here now

Clear skies are out to the west and temps in South Wales and the South West are dropping below freezing

Posted

It must be disastrous here, prior to this rescue effort, this thread found itself below 3 closed threads and no posts in over 4 hours! unsure.gif

I mean, where's the WI to, eh? unsure.gifhelp.gif

Well, I guess weather wise, it was pretty nondescript. Don't fancy the back roads now the snow that had fallen and become slushy on the roads will now have to cope with solidifying again, as the temperature has dipped below freezing (well, -0.1C). Fun times... w00t.gif