Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Central Southern England - Cold Spell Discussion Part 7

Posted

Low of -2C here overnight, but already up tp 4C, the end of the cold snap is here...

Hi SSC, as usual you have the misfortune of living is such a warm spot I wonder if you are planning a bbq for the new year. 8)

Here it was a minimum of 5C overnight and is now currently 3.7C but feels a lot colder. Unusually we have totally calm conditions, somewhat rare for CHIMET to be showing 0.0 knot with a gust of 0.2 knot . WOW exciting!

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Certainly feels positively balmy out there today compared with recent ones and worse still it looks like my snow 'cover' may not make it past tomorrow. :( Impressive though, December and lying snow in my garden (albeit not a lot) for 10 days!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Hello all,

Did you have a nice xmas? Hope so - we've got snow here in the midlands. Now normally I'd be very excited (and I am) but it's getting heavy and my car is useless in the snow with all these hills. I'll bring some back with me if I can! :smiliz34:

Posted

Been up to 6C here today (& still 6C now). Be nice to get the rain to wash all the salt/grit off the roads (& wash the car)...

Posted

Been up to 6C here today (& still 6C now). Be nice to get the rain to wash all the salt/grit off the roads (& wash the car)...

Ah for once I beat you to the high temperature. :rolleyes: Had a max of 6.1C here so just shaved it by .1C.

Currently 5.8C, might have to open the bedroom window tonight or else I wont sleep as it is 20.9C with the radiater switched off! Sometimes well insulated houses have problems of their own.

Posted

Ah for once I beat you to the high temperature. :rolleyes: Had a max of 6.1C here so just shaved it by .1C.

Currently 5.8C, might have to open the bedroom window tonight or else I wont sleep as it is 20.9C with the radiater switched off! Sometimes well insulated houses have problems of their own.

Actually it was 6.2C but I just rounded it up! :lol: I had to turn the heating off here too & am keeping it off all night, still 5C at nearly 2am.

Posted

And it could be a long wait for the next cold spell with none of the models wanting to bring any really cold air to the uk.

Although here on the coast it was nothing special.The previous cold spell was far better hopefully a repeat of that would be nice.Don't bet on it though.

Posted

Looks like another potent northerly developing as we go into the new year. My only concern is, that the Siberian high this year seems to be orientated wrongly for us to tap into some very cold air from northern Russia. The last northerly outbreak gave me some snow and low temps, but also some maritime influence witch gave a very steep temp gradient near the coasts. Quite often a northerly is followed by a scandy/Siberian high resulting in a bone numbing eastley that effects the South and SE, this seems unlikly IMO. Would someone more knowledgeable than myself please tell me I'm wrong.

post-395-0-91498700-1293568901_thumb.png

Edited by snowflakey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Well Hello fellow CSE'ers, I thought I had better keep the thread alive and I hope you've all had a wonderful few days off.

Another Chistmas is gone and a whole New Year will soon be upon us. :drinks::drunk:

I am just posting a quickie here as I've had a quick delve into the Model Discussion Thread and it seems the models back up my expectations for the early part of 2011. :yahoo:

My expectations (no doubt! some will say I am a fantisist) :crazy: but further to my posts 166 and 213, things seem to be "on track" at this point in time for the near future.

Here's a northern hemisphere chart for you all and before the doubters diss this option, please also read the stratosphere thread http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/64621-stratosphere-temperature-watch/page__st__306 as they also back up the possible opttions. :good:

post-7183-0-58411800-1293581463_thumb.gi

SO FAR THE DECEMBER OF THE HISTORIC WINTER OF 2010/11 HAS BEEN A CORKER IN TERMS OF BITTER COLD AND SNOW. BELIEVE ME, THIS WILL CONTINUE TO BE THE TREND AS WE HEAD INTO JANUARY AND FEBRUARY. :p

Many Happy Returns

gottolovethisweather

Posted

No bitter cold or snow that lasted longer than a day or so down here, so a pretty damp squib compared to the extreme winter many others have had... :whistling:

While it does look set to get cold again I really doubt it will get as cold as it has been, instead just normal cold which we would expect for the time of year anyway.

Been up to 10C here today & actually felt mild out though that figure is actually around average for here.

Posted

Looks like another potent northerly developing as we go into the new year. My only concern is, that the Siberian high this year seems to be orientated wrongly for us to tap into some very cold air from northern Russia. The last northerly outbreak gave me some snow and low temps, but also some maritime influence witch gave a very steep temp gradient near the coasts. Quite often a northerly is followed by a scandy/Siberian high resulting in a bone numbing eastley that effects the South and SE, this seems unlikly IMO. Would someone more knowledgeable than myself please tell me I'm wrong.

I shouldn't worry about the orientation of the Scandi high at this stage. The model outputs are going to be all over the place for a while as they absorb the strat warming signal, giving rise to all manner of eventual evolutions. With all the blocking that we have had in recent times I think we are due a good proper Easterly (as opposed to a Nor Easterly) down here but I'd favour another Northerly over an Easterly at this stage. Initially at least.

I do struggle to see it mild come about 10 to 14 day's time. Depending on the propagation of the warming down into the troposphere and where (and by how much) the PV subsequently displaces/splits and ends up, this could be another significant cold spell in the offing. That said, even the most significant warming event does not guarantee cold weather for the UK (or for anywhere come to that), it would be bad luck if it didn't at least get colder as a result but if other factors went against us, it could end up being another 'what if'. What it will do however is to stack things in our favour a bit.

Posted

Hi folks, hope you all survived Christmas - had the damn flu myself so I am glad to see the back of it!

Today temp was nearly to double figures - 9.7 the warmest day since Nov 13th!

I've been amazed these last 2-3 days just how bad the advection mist and fog has been. It just shows how very cold the ground must have been. Be glad when the wind picks up a bit and at least lifts the cloud base! Ugh, I hate this murk!

Happy New Year to all!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters/Hot summers

Yes this misty/fog is horrible, has been 10 degrees on the Island today.

Happy new Year to all

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Had a lovely murky, drippy walk on Southampton Common this afternoon. Was surprised to see the lakes and paddling pool still almosty completely iced over and the remains of snowmen!

Sorry to hear you've had the flu, OMM. Hopefully that's you now immune, though: things will probably get worse when the kids go back to school next week. :bad:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Not long now until the next cold blast. For those that will only embrace the cold if it comes with SNOW, the best bet is to study the fax charts as we approach any events with precipitation. However history tells us this year and last that SNOW is possible anywhere. :yahoo:

Here's a bloody good reason or three for OPTIMISM. Have a close look at the BLUE and RED lines which clearly show a much colder trend is about to occur once again. :drinks:

The GEFS control and the GEFS means clearly do not rise above 0c if at all right through to Mid January from New Year's day onwards, game on!

post-7183-0-07951100-1293707150_thumb.pnpost-7183-0-03154300-1293707168_thumb.pnpost-7183-0-24499300-1293707186_thumb.pn

If you were to look again tomorrow or the next day or the next etc. you will soon witness a NAILED ON COLD SPELL is again coming.:drinks:

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Posted

It looks set to get colder into the weekend, but it wont be as cold as we saw in the last cold snap & it doesn't look good for snow either.

Posted

I do so hope that something changes in the weather soon, this dull mush is driving me bonkers!

Totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! :wallbash: going mad with boredom. :crazy:

It looks set to get colder into the weekend, but it wont be as cold as we saw in the last cold snap & it doesn't look good for snow either.

Sounds like even more boredom then, :whistling: Ho hum, roll on summer.:fool:

Edited by coldfingers

Posted

Totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! :wallbash: going mad with boredom. :crazy:

Sounds like even more boredom then, :whistling: Ho hum, roll on summer.:fool:

Looks like things could be on the up, possible colder weather coming in after the weekend. From what people have been saying in the MOD forum it'll get a little colder, but probobley not much like we experianced before Christmas. Thats not so much of a bad thing, but anythings got to be better than this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Morning,

Well I just had my breakfast and looked outside. There was some sleet going on! Not a lot admitedly but it definitely was (I held a black tray outside to check; the neighbours must have thought I was bonkers). :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Good dump of snow or a damn good thunderstorm

Morning,

Well I just had my breakfast and looked outside. There was some sleet going on! Not a lot admitedly but it definitely was (I held a black tray outside to check; the neighbours must have thought I was bonkers). :lol:

You should try a white tray. That looks really impressive. Chucking it down. :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Good dump of snow or a damn good thunderstorm

Well that first band on the radar is dropping a light dusting. Maybe the darker second band will be more impressive.

OK trays on standby .

Posted

OK, we've had the black and white now I will add the grey. :huh: Grey skies and gloomy here but dry. Temp 2.4 too warm for snow even if any precipitation reaches this far. So a possible cold and damp day in store. Woohoo! :fool:

Still nice to see some activity on this thread again.