Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland - Regional Weather Discussion

Posted

Some helluva weather coming up this week.. Stormy http://www.wetterzen...s/Rtavn1208.png and going to feel biting cold at points.http://www.wetterzen...s/Rtavn8417.png

Are these temperatures on the second chart 'corrected' to sea level in the way that pressure charts are? Wasn't sure what the 2m in the title referred to?

Cheers

Edited by spindrift1980

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I must say that i am surprised how cool Scotland is already with 2C already in places.

GFS6z has snow in Glasgow on saturday and sunday.

Posted

I must say that i am surprised how cool Scotland is already with 2C already in places.

GFS6z has snow in Glasgow on saturday and sunday.

Saturday and Sunday is still a wee while away yet but I really am going to follow this situation very carefully as I do feel that that Central Scotland and the West could see some wet snow at lower levels. Really all I want first is -6C or lower uppers, some snow and a new Blog for the winter and I'll be happy. Once the snow is here then that's when I'll be keeping an eye on any accumilations and radar/lamp post watching.

I doubt that there will be any snow tonight but if the temperatures are lower than expected, then perhaps later on could be interesting with lower temperatures and some showers heading into western parts.

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

Saturday and Sunday is still a wee while away yet but I really am going to follow this situation very carefully as I do feel that that Central Scotland and the West could see some wet snow at lower levels. Really all I want first is -6C or lower uppers, some snow and a new Blog for the winter and I'll be happy. Once the snow is here then that's when I'll be keeping an eye on any accumilations and radar/lamp post watching.

I doubt that there will be any snow tonight but if the temperatures are lower than expected, then perhaps later on could be interesting with lower temperatures and some showers heading into western parts.

Yep have a feeling that we could see our first wet snow as early as tonight in Central Scotland. More likely above 200ft. :drinks:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

More snow on Wyvis this afternoon, poss down to 700m. Car said as low as 2C on the way home just now so there'll be snow down to quite low levels tonight - but not sea level.

Posted

Those in the east Central Belt watch of for snow as the shower that just passed me had some icy bits on the window. It could have been hail or the odd snow flake.

What a day. Needed a canoe to get down the road earlier, but has now improved a little. Was out @ lunch and it was 9C but felt a lot colder.

What a day indeed. What a joke the MetOffice weather warnings are. A yellow warning for that? There were cars being swept away down the roads earlier today, the mate was closed, the main road in Greenock was under over 2 feet of water and at one point all the main roads out of Kilmacolm were closed due to flooding and/or abandoned vehicles. Well done Met Office for being on the ball and warning everyone properly, it's only luck that stopped anyone getting hurt this morning. MrsCatch has told me that the coastguard were called to rescue someone close to here as the flood was so deep. The MetO have really screwed up on this one, it was obvious yesterday what was going to happen.

Those in the east Central Belt watch of for snow as the shower that just passed me had some icy bits on the window. It could have been hail or the odd snow flake.

We had some very heavy, very wet hail earlier which left the place completely white.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Evening all. Hasn't been nearly as wet over here in the east! Had a few torrential bursts this morning which were very short-lived. Saw the pickle some of you guys were in on the News. High of just over 13c today and dropped to 4.4c now. Wind has dropped considerably too.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Ensembles seem to be firming up on the prospects of cold in the short to medium term, maybe even low level snow early next week. Certainly getting colder again this evening...

Posted

2c here dry .snow on Rannoch Moor!

Edited by November13

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

2c here dry .snow on Rannoch Moor!

What's your current dew point? Could potentially be snow above 150/200m methinks tonight, -4c uppers, possibly -5c at times, falling to -3c by 3/4am and rising rapidly towards 0c after dawn... could be a snowy week in Scotland coming up with frequent Pm dominated airflows, nice for the highlands :)

Edited by Isolated Frost

Posted

What's your current dew point? Could potentially be snow above 150/200m methinks tonight, -4c uppers, possibly -5c at times, falling to -3c by 3/4am and rising rapidly towards 0c after dawn... could be a snowy week in Scotland coming up with frequent Pm dominated airflows, nice for the highlands :)

Sounds good! I had one shower that had some wet hail and one other shower that may have had one very wet flake of snow landing on the windscreen (although I only saw it with the edge of my eye so I can't confirm if it was a flake - probably not). But I think the potential for even colder uppers may come later on this week, the weekend and next week so perhaps there could be some snowfall here in Torrance and for much of Scotland and also hopefully an event to remember with some accumilations coinciding with my 2011/2012 Snow Diary.

In fact, the start of December looks pretty cool and beyond early next week could yet see some more polar maritime incursions and I'm starting to feel more confident about a colder set up in the 2nd half of the month. I wouldn't be totally surprised if Mark Vogan's forecast turned out to be fairly accurate although I would say that a white christmas is more likely. But anyway it's amazing what a few days in the model thread could do to change people's mindsets about no snow in a very mild euro high dominated December to perhaos a cool start and maybe something cooler on the way forward.

Personally, I feel that the start of the month will be like December 1999 which is one of my favourite (one of my first memories of cold/snow) months for cold snow however I feel that 1st Half December 2011 won't live up to 1999. I also feel that the month could finish on a note like December 2000 or even 1995.

I also find it encouraging that RJS is going for some very exciting winter weather in January onwards aswell as Gavin P's and other members forecasts aswell as Netweather and some other organization forecasts suggesting another exciting period this winter aswell as the likes of Mark Vogan and Weather Logistics who are going for a cold middle and end to December.

So.... a cool beginning to winter, perhaps a colder end to December (so a chilly month overall and even some forecasts of severe cold later on in the month), potentially a cold January (as suggested by RJS and others) aswell as a Cold February (as suggested by Stewart Rampling and others). Sounds pretty cool to me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

turning colder here with temp dropping 1.9c with a fair wind blowing a slight possibility i could see a thin covering of snaw on the ground by morning after the past 10 days or so of relentless rain a change would be belcome

Posted

Snowing big flakes here! Settling too.

Fantastic news and in Fife too! Brrrrrrrilliant!

Hopefully the temperature will drop a few degrees here and we get one or two heavier showers.

Also it's now SNOWING At Loch Glascarnoch!

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/he/loch_glascarnoch_latest_weather.html

woo hoo!

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit

Right!!!!!!!!! That's it started then. :D

Just had a 5 min snaw shower which left the gress with it's first white coat o' the winter :clap:

Big Innes

Posted

Also look at some of the Traffic Scotland cams on the A9 and parts of the Highlands north of Inverness.

A shower is now heading our way. Hopefully it will bring some snow.

The sky is actually looking quite wintry and radar looks promising. Come on temperature, can you drop a bit I want my snow!

Posted

Cold enough for snow here but I doubt anything will bake it past the mountains to here. Missed most of rain yesterday/today too. Hope folks in the west did not suffer too bad. On the flip side you may get some snow tonight in the showers!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Also look at some of the Traffic Scotland cams on the A9 and parts of the Highlands north of Inverness.

A shower is now heading our way. Hopefully it will bring some snow.

The sky is actually looking quite wintry and radar looks promising. Come on temperature, can you drop a bit I want my snow!

Precip type on NW radar says all rain for you, but sleet/snow for Perth is possible.

Posted

Precip type on NW radar says all rain for you, but sleet/snow for Perth is possible.

Who knows. Hopefully one wet flake from a temperature drop and heavy shower.

Posted

Could be some surprise localised snowfalls at low levels overnight especially in central highland districts - down to 200m a covering with snow showers 100m struggling to settle, uppers and dewpoints look conducive.

Looking further ahead - Friday looks cold with maxima widely held down below 4 degrees for many, probably no higher than 2 degrees at 200m and above in the highlands. Sunday and Monday could deliver the first widespread lowland snowfall of the season - sea level districts probably escape but anywhere with slight elevation 100m in with a good chance of a decent cover I imagine. Its a long way off but the models continue to upgrade the cold and snow potential sunday and into Monday and I don't see them downgrading this anytime soon - unless we see a major shortwave feature move in from the west but everything looks like it wants to shift southeastwards in time with plenty of very frigid air to the NW just waiting to make inroads across Scotland.

As for down here, preety certain the fells should see some hefty falls of snow if the synoptics being shown for sunday and monday verify with a 50/50 chance of snow down to quite low levels - but probably a temporary wet affair struggling to settle but it would be nice to see some snowflakes all the same.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

Right!!!!!!!!! That's it started then. :D

Just had a 5 min snaw shower which left the gress with it's first white coat o' the winter :clap:

Big Innes

Fantastic! Still a sleety dribble (well more like a sleety blast) here in the lowlands of Fife, but it looks from the radar like there are more squalls where that one came from and a wee look at the models suggests a proper arctic northwesterly blast from the end of the weekend onwards. Blocking? Pfft, who needs it - long may yer stratospheric winds blaw cauld! :drinks: