Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Regional Weather Discussion

What's the Alps forecast got to do with regional weather for Wales?

If you read the Alps forecast you would see that it contains a detailed analysis of the weather for the next 7 days with synoptic charts for the same period for the whole of Europe including the UK. For many people interested in the weather for the week ahead it is quite informative and as such I put it here, so that some people can read it if they so desire, if not ignore it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme - anything but dull and dreary. The snowier the better.

I thought this was specifically, an area for discussion of Wales' weather though.

Maybe someone from Wales is interested? I don't see any harm in posting it...

Well, I am very interested in conditions in the alps, sine I'll be heading there soon. Which is why I regularly check here...

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/71533-alps-snow-and-weather-conditions-2011-2012/

Edited by Gorath

Posted

Well I've just got my first air frost of this current "cold spell", temp finally reached 0.0c a few minutes ago before rising again. Looking forward to some interesting weather next week.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Air frost here in St Clears too, and close to freezing back home, again the first frosts of the week.

Edited by TonyH

Posted

Couple of showers starting to pep up as they come in land to mid Wales... Could be quite icy there if the skies clear. Mainly sleet being shown as precipitous type in north and mid Wales. Does anyone on here live up north? What's the situation like?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme - anything but dull and dreary. The snowier the better.

Couple of showers starting to pep up as they come in land to mid Wales... Could be quite icy there if the skies clear. Mainly sleet being shown as precipitous type in north and mid Wales. Does anyone on here live up north? What's the situation like?

Not far from Llanberis here, but nearer the Caernarfon coast, and the temperature is hovering around 5 degrees.

Looks highly unlikely to frost over. There's an occasional shower, but it is just rain.

Ooh, another heavy but very short rainshower as I type.

Obviously something worth watching for next week, hopefully we won't get the winds of that strength.

<- gives the gusts forecast, in excess of 90mph, some exposed location may get close to 100mph.

However the 12HZ GFS run has the strongest winds over Southern Scotland, so plenty of time for the track to change.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Frost here in Swansea with a minimum temperature of -2.5C recorded on my station.

The model output is showing a longwave trough situated over the UK, so we can expect unsettled weather over the next 6-10 days with areas of low pressure moving in from the west. The ECM, GFS & UKMO are currently showing the possibilty that some of these low pressure systems could be very intense with the risk of such systems effecting areas further south, instead of being confined to northern areas like we have seen recently.

For Wales the general theme is likely to be heavy rain and strong winds, colder shots of Polar Maritime air also on the back edge of lows as they make their way eastwards. WIll have to keep an eye on the models over the next few days for the risk of severe wind events also.

Posted

Snow report! We've got a very slight covering of snow here this morning (bona fide snow this time, not hail), no more than 1mm, but still counts as lying snow in my book. One of the showers in the night must have made its way here. Temp -1.9c currently.

Posted

Currently -2.5c here in St Clears, it must have been lower as there is quite a bit of cloud too.

At home it got down to -2.6c but is on -0.4c now.

Posted

Well that's quite a turn up Mike but at least you have altitude on your side.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Frosty morning here after a low of -1.2C, now 0.6C and mostly cloudy. Looks like an interesting week!

Posted

Well the snow shower was a definition of the word "brief" but has added to the dusting. The radar shows "sleet" showers across much of Mid Wales but I expect that most of those are snow at least to the east of the Cambrians, certainly the shower we just had was pure snow.

Looks like another light shower to come shortly, although temps are rising rapidly (0.6c now) but dp is -1.5c so should keep the covering for a few hours yet I hope.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

Just checked meto and they forecast wind gusts on tuesday of 60-70mph for my location, haven't seen that before!!

Posted

Interesting that the weatheronline are taking about back edge snow after heavy rain and gale force winds comes through Tuesday,after that heavy squally wintry showers.

Posted

Latest shower through here started as snow and turned to rain, so I guess that's it for a couple of days at least. Yes, possibility of snow on Weds/Thurs I think after the storm passes through, uppers aren't that low but evaporative cooling would come into play in heavy precipitation. If there was any snow though it would be unlikely to stick around except on the top of hills perhaps.

Posted

Minimum temperature here overnight was 1degrees C. Several of the higher mountains are white today in Snowdonia. But still not white enough to go snowboarding, dammit.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Sunny days 25C Autumn/Spring: Rain and storms Winter:Snow

Very light sleety showers here today and a bitingly cold wind.

Posted

Sleet? Reached 8c here so I doubt we had sleet although I only just got home.