Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather Discussion UK

Coast

Posted

all th lightning is now high up in the clouds.. very little being seen coming out below the base... just wish it would get dark now :wallbash: would look impresive. but cant have evrything :rolleyes:

Posted

Just got back from the Hallamshire Hospital in Sheffield. Was an amazing storm to watch from floor L. Some of the hailstones were the size of a 2p coin.

Posted

Just got back from the Hallamshire Hospital in Sheffield. Was an amazing storm to watch from floor L. Some of the hailstones were the size of a 2p coin.

Nice, blue skys here for days now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Looks like those cells exiting east Wales are forming ahead of the CF-- reliable forcing indeed. Keep the humble pie at the ready... think I may be eating some this evening.

the good thing for us, is that everytime you are wrong( which is not to often).........Its always a bonus :drinks:

anyway your careful pesemism is always balanced with Blizzards optamism... and i do mean that in a nice way :pardon:

Edit; save us a piece of cake if them Welsh cells slide up the West of Brum

Edited by windypants

Posted

Ignore my question, painfully obvious they won't. Meanwhilse, cells getting organised to the SE of London it seems!

Edited by Slowpoke

Posted

Could the E Wales cells make it to NW England?

No those will likely move in in the yorkshire direction, it is possible that some storms currently over / forming over north wales and the irish sea may make their way over, however.

Edit: Nvm posted ebfore you edited.

Posted
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand
  • Location: Otford/Sevenoaks, NW Kent (Approx. 100m asl); Hometown - Auckland, New Zealand

Regular thunder and have now seen a few decent flashes of lightning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

100_0274.jpg

100_0273.jpg

100_0272.jpg

to the east and west!! COME ON STORMS!!! PLEASE!!! all i want is to hear thunder! :air_kiss:

Posted

No those will likely move in in the yorkshire direction, it is possible that some storms currently over / forming over north wales and the irish sea may make their way over, however.

Edit: Nvm posted ebfore you edited.

Do you think they'll hit me before heading into Yorkshire or will they move just north or south of me?

Posted

it is possible that some storms currently over / forming over north wales and the irish sea may make their way over, however.

I hope so though I'll need a bit of luck tonight!

We should see quite a few impressive temperature drops where storms hit in the SE.

Posted

DSCF1564.jpg

Should imagine there's some decent amounts of rainfall coming out of that!! god knows what else.. hardly moving either :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Regular thunder and have now seen a few decent flashes of lightning!

According to my girlfriend there was heavy rain, thunder and lightning in Sevenoaks earlier... she is now in Penshurst and looking at the radar could get rained on again fairly soon.

More interesting than here in Oxford, at least at the moment. I'm hoping to see some more convection later! Not a whole lot at the moment where I am.

Posted

DSCF1564.jpg

Should imagine there's some decent amounts of rainfall coming out of that!! god knows what else.. hardly moving either :unsure:

Indeed, looking quite violent to the SE of you!

Posted

Would love to be seeing a ground-based image of that cell exploding close to Norwich right now. I guess whoever's observing it is too busy taking obs to be preoccupied heading onto the NW board right now. well-defined anvil with explosive convection within that cell, and CAPE around it to feed off from. One of the best i've seen so far today.

Posted

The sferic is suggesting that something is crossing the channel towards Colchester.

Posted

According to my girlfriend there was heavy rain, thunder and lightning in Sevenoaks earlier... she is now in Penshurst and looking at the radar could get rained on again fairly soon.

More interesting than here in Oxford, at least at the moment. I'm hoping to see some more convection later! Not a whole lot at the moment where I am.

Only a few miles from Sevenoaks and have only had a spot or two of rain so far. Can see some good CG strikes and very regular thunder out towards oaks though. Pretty good storm actually... Wasn't expecting anything.

Posted

Do you think they'll hit me before heading into Yorkshire or will they move just north or south of me?

They may not hit yorkshire at all but they will head in that direction so it's possible you'll catch one as they move through, assuming they don't dissipate beforehand.

That's what happened to me yesterday, massive storm area was heading right for me then it suddenly died about 20 miles to the south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Rumbles of distant thunder

Big juicy cbs going up all over the place to the NE, E and SE of me. You're probably hearing thunder from the huge towers that I can see here. If only they a bit further west.

Posted

Big juicy cbs going up all over the place to the NE, E and SE of me. You're probably hearing thunder from the huge towers that I can see here. If only they a bit further west.

Have heard about 40 rumbles here from three different cells. Nothing closer than 5-7 miles though, hoping one pops up nearer.

Posted

Nice convective line along the CF boundary (just happens to be situ along the welsh border right now.) convective uplifting occurring further north along the line also, which puts Cheshire and Derbyshire into contention for some activity within the next few hours. Still another 3 hours until sunset with residual heating still to play.