Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Convective Weather Discussion UK

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Well, good luck over there and down there.

We're now on the wrong side of the cold front, so us West Midlanders, Northwesterners and Welshfolk are merely observers today. (I say wrong side...it is lovely and fresh out!)

But dull! Lol. But it isnt too cool out there and with some sunshine hopefully later it could be very nice but forecasts suggest just cloud today. A slight and i mean slight risk of a heavy shower/isolated storm for the SW Quarter of the UK tomorrow.

Posted

ASIINWP_20110424_0845.png

CB's on the French side earlier.

I'm going to go with Hampshire maybe up into Surrey later. Not sure about Sussex at the moment, really want the sea breeze to pick up and get a bit of heat and convection going! Will have a look at the Herkymoo 12z around 15.00 hrs, but we might be looking at something inland from Portsmouth up, by then.

Posted

Exciting stuff! Yesterday saw several nice towers spring up from mid afternoon way out West but stayed clear here. Hoping for a lot more today, it's 20c now and the radar shows development just over the Channel already

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, and Snow.

Morning everyone,

We went to Didcot yesterday (those who are interested in Steam will know why - no, not the power station!).

On the way back we ran parallel to a rather nice looking cell which was probably south of Cambridge.

Some shots are here:-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bristol-re/

Very Best Wishes,

Bob.

Posted

Mr Paul Sherman has nailed it on the head really if the temp gets to 24c and a dew point of 14c and with the introduction of some forced lift from convergence zones and possibly from the south downs I would be very surprised if the Southeast corner did not sees something today. Again like yesterday when it kicks off I think it will kick off relatively quickly.

Paul are you still planning on chasing? I saw your post re UKWW yesterday are you thinking of heading down? I cant find the thread about the chase on their. Maybe today is a good day we have our own chase thread.

Ah I have just found the thread on UKWW.

Edited by Adi F

Posted

i know it a long way off 7 days time i could see my 1st storm of the year :D

but on sat i just missed out about 100 miles

Better luck next time

Edited by Stuart

Posted

Rdtlmett.gif

Rdtlmetd.gif

Posted

so when today are we expecting things to kick off? im on the south coast in costa del gosport! lol are the possible storms likely to form over this area at all?

Posted

so when today are we expecting things to kick off? im on the south coast in costa del gosport! lol are the possible storms likely to form over this area at all?

If they kick off I think they will be further in land. I think it will be a chase day rather than a sit at home and wait for them to arrive day.

Edited by Adi F

Posted

Ah Costa Del Gosport. Just down the road from Costa Del Christchurch (almost). I think you stand a better chance over your way than we do at the moment, but things took off quickly yesterday and im sure today will be the same.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Just a quickie as I'm still in caravan lol :)

Yesterday at 6pm I had two massive CB'S opposite each other in between my caravan.Each one was alternatively giving faint rumbles could hardly hear them LOL. No lightning and they both disappeared within half an hour. But it was so amazing to see the sky full of convection. A really enjoyable storm day even though nothing much happened.:D

Edited by Jane Louise

Posted

Mr Paul Sherman has nailed it on the head really if the temp gets to 24c and a dew point of 14c and with the introduction of some forced lift from convergence zones and possibly from the south downs I would be very surprised if the Southeast corner did not sees something today. Again like yesterday when it kicks off I think it will kick off relatively quickly.

Paul are you still planning on chasing? I saw your post re UKWW yesterday are you thinking of heading down? I cant find the thread about the chase on their. Maybe today is a good day we have our own chase thread.

Ah I have just found the thread on UKWW.

Dont know yet Adi

Think the convergence might be further west than initially thought, if I went str8 South from Essex to Brighton and Worthing then it would be an easy run but getting further over West becomes a bit of a pain esp when Mrs Sherman has just thrown the Easter Lamb into the equation :drinks:

Going to take a check in the next hour or so but thankfully there are plenty of Uk Chasers covering the Western Risk today.

Posted

Ah Roast Lamb is enough to turn anyone, i decided to keep the Pork for tomorrow. You have the A27/M27 to take you west from Brighton but I understand your predicament it is a long way.

Or you could drop straight down the M3!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

In Worthing temp is 23.6°C & dew point is at 14.7°C...now we just need a sea breeze to get stuff going.. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Hmm today looks interesting to me, I wouldnt be at all suprised if we got a storm or 2 as in land IOW can heat things up and generate showers/storms as well.

28th April 2009 was an example, though different conditions we actually developed our own storm in centere of the Island, so my fingers ae crossed.

Good luck everyone today hope you all get a storm :)

Posted

In Worthing temp is 23.6°C & dew point is at 14.7°C...now we just need a sea breeze to get stuff going.. :)

Here is a modified sounding from Herstmonceux, Not to far from you. Midnight last night. Modified to Temp of 24c and Dew Point of 14c.

post-1327-0-63414900-1303645220_thumb.jp

Posted

Wow Nice Sounding

Plenty of energy there if those Temps and Td's verify.

Would certainly be some 10-20mm Hail if something went up there

Posted

I agree, I am sure the atmosphere will tell us if it reaches the right levels. It could be a very good day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

hi all! hope everyones having a good day , what ever your doin today.

heres a snap of my thoughts on todays storm risk.

post-11361-0-84487600-1303646236_thumb.p

all exciting for some!!

just going to read back a bit as ive missed some since earlier..:drinks:

Posted

Afternoon all, had a nice taster yesterday as a cell built right on top of me. Looking at the map above I'm hoping for more luck today!

May have to head to the hogs back for a good view south and north.

Good luck to all the storm lovers.

Meso

hi all! hope everyones having a good day , what ever your doin today.

heres a snap of my thoughts on todays storm risk.

post-11361-0-84487600-1303646236_thumb.p

all exciting for some!!

just going to read back a bit as ive missed some since earlier..:drinks:

Im quite liking this map :) Not any clouds forming in the sky yet, could these stroms be late afternoon evening I hope so because right now I have a glorious bbq outside with a beer drinks.gif

Posted

I am not sure there is going to be enough heat today. Temps are struggling to get up.

Posted

Here is a modified sounding from Herstmonceux, Not to far from you. Midnight last night. Modified to Temp of 24c and Dew Point of 14c.

That is certainly very impressive, will be watching this afternoons developments closely.

Posted

Certainly warm here in Essex, oppressive almost.

Temp - 23oC

Dew Point -10.1oC

Humidity 55%

I think we'll miss out as we're not far inland for clouds to develop. Only hope here is for an import from Belgium and that's highly unlikely.